• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National rail enquires station maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSP 2

Hello all,

I've just been on the above mentioned site to see the layout of Doncaster station the plan idea looked good until you tired to get the large view and well?
I have done this with a number of stations Nat. Rail have tried to make them look better. But unless you have a large screen, how do you get a better view.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Freightmaster

Established Member
Hello all,

I've just been on the above mentioned site to see the layout of Doncaster station...
Do you mean the 'station map' pdfs linked from this page...?

...or the station plans like this one:

If the latter, then yes, they are pitifully small images,
with no way of enlarging/zooming in, whether you have
a 'large screen' or not!

Here it is in all its glory:
Doncaster%20station%20plan.jpg

830px X 467px! :rolleyes:

MARK

Last edited:

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Do you mean the 'station map' pdfs linked from this page...?

...or the station plans like this one:

If the latter, then yes, they are pitifully small images,
with no way of enlarging/zooming in, whether you have
a 'large screen' or not!

Here it is in all its glory:
Doncaster%20station%20plan.jpg

830px X 467px! :rolleyes:

MARK

Since when did station "plans" on the National Rail website become perspective drawings like this? Far less useful than proper "from above" plans.

HSP 2

The ones that I was thinking about should show up in this link.

It looks like the normal map for Doncaster has now been removed.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
The ones that I was thinking about should show up in this link.

It looks like the normal map for Doncaster has now been removed.

Ah - that's more like it. But why not a proper one for Doncaster then? I hope it's not a sign of the way other maps are going to be changed?

HSP 2

This is the sort of map I would expect to see, nice and clear along with photos, not the sort of things that we have upthread. Where you can't read the "index" or the numbers on the maps, it looks like someone wanted to fix something that wasn't broken and get paid a nice wedge to do it, do people not get there work checked any more?

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/car.aspx

The Doncaster map / plan looks like a good idea if you could read it.
The newer Network Rail maps would be OK if you could read the wording.

HSP 2

just wen to have a look at the map for Newcastle and this is what turned up.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Not a problem being a bit more realistic in terms of not straightening out every curve and angle, but the perspective view in the Newcastle map (above) is far less intelligible to me than the "proper" plan for Carlisle (also above). If this is the way station "plans" are going - becoming drawings which only work from one angle - then that's yet more added difficulty to using railway stations!

eoff

I was never impressed by the Edinburgh (EDB) one. First it is an image at a low resolution, and parts of it make no sense.

NORMAN471

Just take a look at Newton-le-Willows. The photographs are of the old ticket office and subway to the platforms. Shouldn't these be updated when modernisation and remodelling of stations has been completed as soon as possible especially in the case of installation of lifts and long ramps on an overbridge. Another fault on the plans is that they do not indicate the direction of travel for the platforms i.e to Liverpool / to Manchester. Why is it the case that Network Rail and some TOCs have news pages heralding station and rail service improvements and show photographs of people holding cards or cutting ribbons and not the trains and actual station views from different positions. Car Parks seem to get more coverage on the Northern News Pages at the moment.

D6975

Established Member
If that's the 'new' map of Donny, I'm surprised that it's wrong. Donny now has a platform 0 I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.