• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Rail Jobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmogle

Established Member
I was just wondering where you would go to find out about jobs on the National Rail enquiries phone lines? (Or even similar companies like thetrainline)

Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

P156KWJ

Established Member
seems odd that they don't advertise them on their site, so unless calling them gives you an answer, don't know :(

Guinness

Established Member
I thought these were outsourced to Call Centre companies?

Ben

I was just wondering where you would go to find out about jobs on the National Rail enquiries phone lines? (Or even similar companies like thetrainline)

Thank you
Never knew you fancied emigrating to Delhi. ;)

(No I'm not being pointless, weekend calls are genuinely answered in India)

Coxster

Established Member
Here's what I managed to pick up by working at Trafficlink (who have a close relationship with ATOC and NRCC).

In the case of National Rail, it is split into two parts and administered by ATOC.

NRES (National Rail Enquiries Service) is the phone service for National Rail. They contract the service out to various companies with call centres in Plymouth, Newcastle and the Dearne Valley near Rotherham - the latter being in operation 24/7. There are another two call centres in India - one in Bangalore and the other in Mumbai... but those two might be a bit of a commute for you ;) I think BT manage the call centres in Newcastle, Plymouth and Bangalore, with the remaining two (Rotherham and Mumbai) being the ones managed by Ventura. I guess recruitment to be a call centre operative might be done by BT/Ventura and then allocated a company to answer phones for, rather than through National Rail themselves. Contacting ATOC directly might be the best option.

NRCC (National Rail Communication Centre) are based in Doncaster and look after the National Rail website's 'Service Disruption' and 'Engineering Works' sections, as well as having Trafficlink bug them :p By speaking to various sources they maintain those two sections of the website only, as well as a few non-public utilities.

I know nothing about thetrainline/QJump.co.uk etc I'm afraid :(

Might be worth speaking to 'CromptonKarl' about Raileurope though. Again I know nowt about them, but I think they do a similar thing to thetrainline.

Last edited:

glynn80

Established Member

Thank you

Looking at the Ventura website it looks like they are mainly recruiting for outgoing call campaigns (at least at the Dearne Valley anyway) there is a RSPCA reporting job going as well. You are likely to start on one of these positions as they sort the men from the boys, ie. if you can deal with outgoing calls you can deal with any position in a call centre, once you have got inside the company I'm sure the internal vacancies will arise for the National Rail positions.

me123

Established Member
As has been said, the vast majority of call centre jobs are outsourced. There are lots of companies out there who can offer employment, and it's generally easy to get in.

Generally, they do the hiring and firing independently and also assign you to a "project/contract". They'll train you on the systems and technicalities of the actual position as well as your "soft skills"; communication and so on.

There are, however, a few things to consider in your position, Shauna:

• The company will decide what you will be working on and more often than not you are fixed on that one contract. You can't just ask for a rail related job as it depends on current vacancies in the company. However, they may use your interests to place you in one that's likely to get the most out of you if there's lots of positions.
  • Contracts come and go, and the job security is not there. You can be assigned to another contract if there's space, or they'll just let you go if there's not. And this can all happen very suddenly; I've seen it done overnight. So even if you get that coveted rail related job, it's likely not to be permanent.
  • The outsourcing companies rarely announce what contracts they have; finding the right call centre will take a good bit of sniffing around.

Status
Not open for further replies.