• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Natural phenomenon you have witnessed?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I have seen lightning many times over the last almost 50 years as of June this year despite being petrified of thunderstorms since birth

I was terrified of thunderstorms, right up until a bolt of lightning landed about 10 metres from me (with a terrific bang!) and somehow that seemed to resolve my fear !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I have to say that I quite enjoy a good thunderstorm, although I ended up without internet for two weeks the last time there was a significant storm here (fried router - thanks, BT).

For most of my life I'd never seen forked lightning but there was one particular weekend, shortly after I'd moved to Edinburgh in the early 2000s, when I saw the most spectacular show; I haven't seen anything like it since.

Strathclyder

Established Member
I quite enjoy a good thunderstorm too, though severe ones are rare in this part of the world (in my experience at least). There's one that I remember quite clearly that swept across West Scotland in early May 2006, that produced some of the most spectacular light/sound shows I've ever seen/heard Mother Nature put on. The only thunderstorm(s) that really compare are the ones that we experienced in Florida during our 3-week summer holiday there in 2008.

(BBC article on the storm)

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I don't know the correct term for the phenomenon, but about ten years ago I was at my parents' place where we observed a prolonged electrical storm of some sort. Basically about twenty minutes of constant and intense lightning, but with no thunder heard at all.
This was over Emley Moor (home of the famous-ish television transmitter) where regular lightning is fairly common, but I've not seen lightning like that before or since.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I don't know the correct term for the phenomenon, but about ten years ago I was at my parents' place where we observed a prolonged electrical storm of some sort. Basically about twenty minutes of constant and intense lightning, but with no thunder heard at all.
This was over Emley Moor (home of the famous-ish television transmitter) where regular lightning is fairly common, but I've not seen lightning like that before or since.
I don't think there's a special term; it would just indicate that the lightning was either too far away or too well buried within thick clouds for the thunder sound to reach you.

In a storm a few years ago me and my other half were on the M53 motorway between J3 for Woodchurch and J4 for Clatterbridge Hospital and saw 3 bolts of lightning going up towards the cloud.

From what I could see at the time they appeared to originate from some some trees near where I saw them.

Tall trees aswell as tv and radio transmitters can be common origin points for upward lightning if anybody wants to look for it during a storm.

Trackman

Established Member
I've seen sheet lightening, it's weird as there is no sound. Don't know if it's the same phenomena.

route101

Established Member
The fireball in the sky at night, seen that two or three times.

celdor

I didnt witness it but someone told me they had seen a TPE train that wasnt cancelled. :D

Ok to make up for that there is this in Turkmenistan for scale the dots on the rim are people.

1678462239516.jpeg

Last edited:

Trackman

Established Member
I didnt witness it but someone told me they had seen a TPE train that wasnt cancelled.:D

Ok to make up for that there is this in Turkmenistan for scale the dots on the rim are people.
That's the gas crater I think. Think it's out of bounds now too.
I wonder if there any more of them about?

Howardh

Established Member
The sun at night? That really is phenomenal.
Isn't there somewhere in Norway where they have mirror which directs sunlight down to a village which never gets any during certain times of the year?

I suppose one day we will have sunshine at night as mirrors in space, or on the moon, reflect it's light for us.

Howardh

Established Member
That would be appallingly damaging for wildlife - but that would be a subject for another thread.
Indeed. But as natural phenomenon, there's a time when the moon is at its closest to earth and full, and gives off useable light if clear. Wonder when the next occurrence will be, and even if it has a name?
My cat will have it in his diary for sure!!!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Indeed. But as natural phenomenon, there's a time when the moon is at its closest to earth and full, and gives off useable light if clear. Wonder when the next occurrence will be, and even if it has a name?
This phenomenon you're referring to, is, I believe, known as a "supermoon"; they happen relatively often, and the next one is expected on Tuesday 1st August 2023.

Howardh

Established Member
This phenomenon you're referring to, is, I believe, known as a "supermoon"; they happen relatively often, and the next one is expected on Tuesday 1st August 2023.
Thanks, what a completely underwhelming word for it!!! At least it's easier to remember than anything scientific!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Thanks, what a completely underwhelming word for it!!! At least it's easier to remember than anything scientific!
The technical term is a 'perigee syzygy' (or 'super perigee full moon') and typically the moon then appears maybe 30% brighter than normal. The next particularly big such 'supermoon' is expected Saturday 25th November 2034.

celdor

Is that the Saarlac?
It is the Darvaza crater we had an overnight stop there on a tour of turkemenistan
Fortunately no sarlaccs about think they had gone to Blackpool for the week.
There were scorpions though so careful if squatting!!!!!

This is sunrise in Norway except of course it didnt rise. We were on a cruise and even most of the crew were out
as although they had been several times before they had seen nothing like this.
1678530720985.jpeg

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It is; sheet lightning is simply normal lightning which is entirely within the clouds.
There's an obvious caveat in that the human memory is notoriously unreliable and subject to revisions after-the-fact, but my memory of the event is that it was a clear night, and the constant lightning was visible forks/bolts, not sheet lightning.

johnnychips

Established Member
Having never been further than the north coast of France, I was very excited to go on my Geography field trip to the Val D’Herens in Switzerland. Literally ten minutes after stepping off the Postbus, there was a huge avalanche on Mont Collon up the valley. I then understood what it meant when something ’takes your breath away’. The noise was incredible, as well as seeing it in front of your eyes.

When I went back next year, I understood why we had to start our ascent of the mountain at four in the morning before anything started melting.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
There's an obvious caveat in that the human memory is notoriously unreliable and subject to revisions after-the-fact, but my memory of the event is that it was a clear night, and the constant lightning was visible forks/bolts, not sheet lightning.
Ah... in this case, the lightning has travelled several miles away from the thundercloud; that is unusual but not unknown - and it can of course be particularly dangerous if it's happening as you wouldn't have any obvious reason to take the normal precautions that you would if the storm was overhead.

I think it's where the phrase "bolt from the blue" comes from.

In America the experts who study lightning have recorded cases of anvil lightning striking places that were around 56 miles from the main storm cloud.

Harvester

Established Member
The crescent Moon displaying some earth shine on its dark face made a fine sight this evening, with brilliant Venus just below. Jupiter too was visible, in the evening twilight very low in the western sky, but its long current apparition is almost over.

Harvester

Established Member
And are still doing so here.

But I couldn't find Jupiter. Do I recall that Jupiter and Mercury are close later this week?
I initially picked Jupiter out using binoculars whilst looking for Mercury. It was very low almost due west. The pair will be close on 27th/28th March but you may need binoculars to locate them in the twilight. Jupiter is rapidly swinging behind the Sun so will disappear completely within a week. Mercury will steadily rise, until it reaches greatest elongation (from the Sun) on 11th April.

Howardh

Established Member
I remember being in wind that was over 100mph at sea level. Ullapool in the 70's, completely flattened a caravan site by the side of the loch. In the morning all the locals helped out salvaging as much gear as they could. But during the storm the remarkable part was when the eye passed over us, an eerie calm for 20 or so minutes. Walking against the wind was impossible (nearly blew grandad away!) it's akin to standing on top of a train going at 100mph!! Of course storms like that aren't unusual up there!