• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

need help planning stay- visitor to london

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabila

My husband and I will stay in london for 3 weeks. We will arrive in Heathrow airport and our hotel is at Shoreditch High Street.
What will be our cheapest way to reach the hotel from airport. We will have 3 large suitcases and dont want to change transportation.

Also for the 3 weeks stay, we plan to do a lot of sight seeing in the tourist spots and travel via buses and tubes. Which card will be the best for us?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

postye

It's not possible to get from Heathrow to Shoreditch without a change unless you go by taxi which would cost upwards of £40 depending on time of day and traffic.

The easiest route to Shoreditch High Street would be taking the Piccadilly line tube from Heathrow to Holborn then change onto bus route 8 which goes along Shoreditch High Street.

For onward travel, I recommend purchasing an Oyster Card from Heathrow Underground Station. This can be used on trains/Tube/buses in London and will always cap at the best price.

HTH

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
If you can't handle public transport with your luggage, then it's sensible to avoid it. If I were you I'd consider booking a private car service to meet you at the airport and take you straight to your hotel. I have no idea how much this would cost, but it should be cheaper than picking up a taxi off the rank when you arrive.

While in London, you might want to get a season ticket from a National Rail ticket office. You'll need a photocard for this, but these tickets will entitle you to take advantage of the 2-4-1 offers listed here http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london as well as allowing you to use all public transport in the city.

For three weeks, you'll probably find that the best deal is three separate 7 day tickets. They cost a little over £30 each for one week if you choose to only cover the central zones, which is where most of the attractions are.

pdq

Depending on how heavy/manoeuvrable your cases are, would an alternative compromise be to get the Piccadilly line into town to a station with lift access - Kings Cross is the closest - then a normal black cab from there? Google maps says that's 2.7 miles, so I don't know if that's cost effective or not.

Otherwise, there is step-free interchange between the Piccadilly and District line at Baron's Court. This would get you to Aldgate East which is about as close as you'll get without a further change, and would save a bit on the taxi fare, but it's not step free out of Aldgate East. See https://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/avoiding-stairs-tube-guide.pdf

Veteran Member
To get to Shoreditch High Street station without steps involves two changes: Piccadilly line to Green Park, Jubilee Line to Canada Water, then Overground.

From memory the interchange at Green Park is a fair walk, and changing at Barons Court to the District then at Westminster to the Jubilee might be better.

Piccadilly Line to King's Cross, then on the eastbound Circle Line to Liverpool Street OR
Piccadilly Line to Holborn, then Central Line eastbound to Liverpool Street would get you a short taxi ride from the hotel.

Established Member
Or to throw up another option, Piccadilly line Heathrow to Barons Court, District line Barons Court to Whitechapel, then London Overground one stop to Shoreditch High St.

With three large suitcases this is the most convenient route I can think of by train. The change at Barons Court is simply across the platform, no stairs at all, and at Whitechapel is down a short flight of stairs. It is slow, but the easiest route with luggage.

James Wake

Or to throw up another option, Piccadilly line Heathrow to Barons Court, District line Barons Court to Whitechapel, then London Overground one stop to Shoreditch High St.

With three large suitcases this is the most convenient route I can think of by train. The change at Barons Court is simply across the platform, no stairs at all, and at Whitechapel is down a short flight of stairs. It is slow, but the easiest route with luggage.

Very good route for ease of interchange, although changing at Hammersmith between the Piccadilly and District lines is just as good too.

Abpj17

The time of day will be a consideration.

Morning/evening rush hour will be pretty awful on any mode of transport.

Yet another (sorry!) option might be Heathrow Express to Paddington (costs more, very quick and comfortable) then circle/hammersmith line to liverpool street and then no 8 bus up; or get a taxi from Farringdon (non-rush hour only) as it's not too far and has lifts. Barbican would be a cheaper taxi ride but doesn't have lifts. Moorgate is best avoided during building works.

I'd favour Barbican over Aldgate/Aldgate East. The distance to what I think is your hotel is about the same, but the traffic should be much better (less one way systems!)

EssexGonzo

I'd have to recommend a booked minicab to get you to your hotel given that you're going to have three large cases between the two of you.

Addison Lee are reputable, trustworthy, OK value for money and reliable. They will meet you at Arrivals at the airport of you wish and you pay in advance by credit card so there's no risk of being over-charged (a low risk in London anyway). You could get a London black cab at the airport but it will cost you more and be less comfortable than the air conditioned AL MPV.

With large suitcases I wouldn't even consider the tube. Heathrow Express is expensive. Spend the money on a cab.

http://www.addisonlee.com

By the way, I have no connection to AL other than being a happy customer.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
I don't think any of the buses in London accept cash anymore so no matter how you plan to get to your hotel you're probably going to be best off getting Oyster cards from the Underground station

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I don't think any of the buses in London accept cash anymore so no matter how you plan to get to your hotel you're probably going to be best off getting Oyster cards from the Underground station

Buses in London are cashless but you can use a contactless payment card.

Status
Not open for further replies.