• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail Class 153

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steddenm

I see one of the Network Rail Inspection units (a 153) is currently in a siding in Peterborough, yet the unit number on the country end (as in pointing towards Grantham) has been covered over.

Will this become a 953 in line with the numbering Network Rail have done in the past with the 950 (150) and 97 (37)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
The 31s and 73s were never renumbered outside of their ’regular’ classifications. So it’s not a given.

1Q18

I see one of the Network Rail Inspection units (a 153) is currently in a siding in Peterborough, yet the unit number on the country end (as in pointing towards Grantham) has been covered over.

Will this become a 953 in line with the numbering Network Rail have done in the past with the 950 (150) and 97 (37)?
For the most part departmental renumbering is a thing of the past. Worth mentioning that the Track Recording Unit (950001) is not and never was a class 150.

pdeaves

Established Member
I've heard stories of drivers saying (regarding locomotives), "sorry, don't sign 97s". If nothing else, keeping as a 153 removes the possibility of one level of hassle!

tomuk

Established Member
I've heard stories of drivers saying (regarding locomotives), "sorry, don't sign 97s".
If they are referring to the 'Yellow 37s" as they are fitted with ETCS for Cambrian working, the different cab layout and operation with the ETCS in Level 0 probably pushes them outside normal 37 competency.

O L Leigh

Established Member
I went past this on the day this thread was begun and saw the unit in question. Having been past it previously I made a point of looking out for the class numbers on each end and can confirm that they are not covered. The unit still identifies as a Cl153.

fgwrich

Established Member
For the most part departmental renumbering is a thing of the past. Worth mentioning that the Track Recording Unit (950001) is not and never was a class 150.
Indeed, before the early 2000s, it was of course a Class 180. Bit of a change in numbering to go from that to 950.

1Q18

If they are referring to the 'Yellow 37s" as they are fitted with ETCS for Cambrian working, the different cab layout and operation with the ETCS in Level 0 probably pushes them outside normal 37 competency.
Indeed, AIUI things like TPWS and AWS are handled through the ETCS interface so specific training is required.

Established Member
I've heard stories of drivers saying (regarding locomotives), "sorry, don't sign 97s". If nothing else, keeping as a 153 removes the possibility of one level of hassle!
If they don't sign them then they don't sign them.

They would be personally liable for driving a locomotive they don't sign.

If a driver's 37 competency includes 97s then this will be reflected on the relevant paperwork and they won't have an "argument".

pdeaves

Established Member
The example I had in mind was when some 97s were just bog standard 31s and 40s and whatnot, just with dedicated uses. Oh, I do 31s but not 97s. Maybe that's why the research department 31 got renumbered back into the 31 series, I don't know.

D365

Veteran Member
Aye, and even when compared to ETCS-equipped Class 37s (Hitachi or Siemens), they'll certainly be very different.

Established Member
The example I had in mind was when some 97s were just bog standard 31s and 40s and whatnot, just with dedicated uses. Oh, I do 31s but not 97s. Maybe that's why the research department 31 got renumbered back into the 31 series, I don't know.
Then it is the management responsibility to keep the paperwork up to date!

The driver might, rightfully, be concerned about any changes to the loco that they don't know about.

Just seen on TikTok that 153317 has been delivered somewhere by road (possibly Bristol) and the haulage company says it’s going to be converted to a rail treatment vehicle:

It does look like Bristol Barton Hill depot in the background. If it is to be converted into a rail treatment vehicle then it sounds a good idea to use on small branch lines where there would be restrictions on rolling stock.

zwk500

Veteran Member
It does look like Bristol Barton Hill depot in the background. If it is to be converted into a rail treatment vehicle then it sounds a good idea to use on small branch lines where there would be restrictions on rolling stock.
It sounds like an excellent idea as it also removes the need for loco-hauled RHTTs to be top & tailed, and it may be a lot easier to path transits where significant MU differential speeds are present.

Status
Not open for further replies.