• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail removes Islamic message on King's Cross display boards after fierce criticism

Status
Not open for further replies.

zwk500

Veteran Member
There aren't religious texts shown on the board at Christmas, just generic festive messages. Nothing wrong with wishing people a happy or joyful Ramadan/Christmas, but quotes from the prophet or the apostle Luke are a step too far, thanks.
I'm also very much agreed with this. Keep it simple, then it's easy to do it in a balanced way for everybody.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OscarH

As other people have said, Happy Ramadan is more than acceptable in my opinion, no different to Happy Christmas/Easter, and I think the start and end times are a nice touch, definitely nothing wrong with that.

Quoting any specific religious texts, no matter which religion, is where it crossed the line.

I see GB News have taken a valid issue and made a nonsensical view that "we are supposed to be a Christian country" from it

bleeder4

I see GB News have taken a valid issue and made a nonsensical view that "we are supposed to be a Christian country" from it
They have a point, to be fair. The only public holidays we have all year (Christmas, Easter) are Christian religious festivals. If we were truly multi-cultural, other religions' festivals would also be public holidays.

thenorthern

Established Member
Apparently on the information board have been having the hadith of the day which is basically the qu'ran reading of the day for several days which is odd that Network Rail hadn't noticed it for several days.

I read somewhere though that it's ironic that there is hadith of the day readings at a station just above a paigan themed magic memorabilia shop.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They have a point, to be fair. The only public holidays we have all year (Christmas, Easter) are Christian religious festivals. If we were truly multi-cultural, other religions' festivals would also be public holidays.
Whilst Easter and Christmas are fundamentally religious festivals I would argue that in practice in the present day they are no longer considered religious festivals but exist as a time for family to get together, decorations and lights, gifts / chocolates and so on.
Apparently on the information board have been having the hadith of the day which is basically the qu'ran reading of the day for several days which is odd that Network Rail hadn't noticed it for several days.
Without having seen what they had written for the 8 days prior, I suppose the issue is that the one yesterday was seen as quite inappropriate.

TonyColeman2

It's the "special notices" board which isn't used for very much unless there's disruption - normally it just contains something fairly useless like "Welcome to Kings Cross, the duty manager is Bob".
Sorry but I just literally said Bob and immediately thought and sounded like Mr Bean

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Without having seen what they had written for the 8 days prior, I suppose the issue is that the one yesterday was seen as quite inappropriate.

I suspect it was the inclusion of "sin" in there that kicked people off. But it's true - nobody is perfect, anybody who thinks they are is deluded. We all sin (do bad stuff) from time to time, and being apologetic for it to ourselves and others is a good thing, as then we make ourselves better people.

Isn't it just a religious interpretation (I'm not religious) of that rather important humanist principle?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
These messages were inappropriate and were removed but be careful you don't fall into the GBEEBBIES/Tufton street anti Muslim agenda trap by going further than that.

TUC

Established Member
Didn't see much issue with it and would expect to see Catholic scripture when it's relevant too.

Obviously if it wasn't approved then the people responsible will justifiably have action taken against them but on the surface it just strikes as people looking for something to be offended about.
Except that we know they wouldn't-and I'm not arguing for them to do so-but it's not credible to claim they would even think of doing the same.

I see GB News have got the outcome they wanted. Advertising their brand and their political viewpoint to people who should know better.
It's being covered by more media outlets than GB News.

It’s strange how all throughout the day Network Rail doubled down and were running with a statement that all was fine, and then changed their mind during the late evening.
The puzzle is why someone right at the start didn't jus say 'no, we wouldn't do that for any faith'?

Gemz91

Whilst Easter and Christmas are fundamentally religious festivals I would argue that in practice in the present day they are no longer considered religious festivals but exist as a time for family to get together, decorations and lights, gifts / chocolates and so on.

Plenty of people still consider Easter and Christmas as a religious festival, around 600,000 people. How ever, there are others who now consider that the religious holidays of Christmas and Easter as a time to spend together as a family. And strangely now, decorate their houses for Easter.

HullRailMan

Yet another example of a public institution feeling the need to make a gesture in the name of diversity and inclusion - why can’t they just stick to the day job? I struggle to see why anywhere needs to promote/celebrate any fictional belief system, especially one that is used around the world to actively discriminate against gay people.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I struggle to see why anywhere needs to promote/celebrate any fictional belief system, especially one that is used around the world to actively discriminate against gay people.
ok - same view if they wish you a happy Christmas or Easter? After all, that might be seen as promoting/celebrating any fictional belief system

sor

about as religious as when its suggested that we're big on CofE christianity because that's what people tick in the census, but in reality church attendance is down and a lot of people won't go near one unless for the big events, to get into a good school, or because (in my case) its the polling station

I suspect as with most things in this country, the main reason for not making other religions a proper holiday is due to cost and nothing more. look at the speculation over whether there'd be a new BH for the funeral/coronation. I think you'd find little opposition to a few extra days off though :)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
That's certainly my instinctive response to the matter too. I have no qualms with simple messages celebrating different festivals/events throughout the year, be they religious of secular, but I have no place for pieces of scripture of any persuasion on the public noticeboards.
Agree!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
There aren't religious texts shown on the board at Christmas, just generic festive messages. Nothing wrong with wishing people a happy or joyful Ramadan/Christmas, but quotes from the prophet or the apostle Luke are a step too far, thanks.

Agreed. A simple message and acknowledgement is fine and suitable for a screen that will be seen by tens of thousands.

Will be interesting if one of the station controllers went rogue or if it has been approved by a local manager (as it had been on for about a week) neither of whom would grasp the PR consequences this would have.

Yet another example of a public institution feeling the need to make a gesture in the name of diversity and inclusion
I doubt it went much higher than a station controller or local manager so doubt it was approved by the “public institution”. As for the day job, well updating the special notice board is part of their day job, although not perhaps in this manner.

TUC

Established Member
Agreed. A simple message and acknowledgement is fine and suitable for a screen that will be seen by tens of thousands.

Will be interesting if one of the station controllers went rogue or if it has been approved by a local manager (as it had been on for about a week) neither of whom would grasp the PR consequences this would have.

I doubt it went much higher than a station controller or local manager so doubt it was approved by the “public institution”. As for the day job, well updating the special notice board is part of their day job, although not perhaps in this manner.
But to have responsibility for what goes on screens in such a major station presumably involves a certain degree of experience and maturity?

GordonT

I think that information boards within railway stations should very seldom stray much beyond their primary purpose with the very occasional exception such as wishing customers a Merry Christmas/Happy New Year.
Otherwise it will generate grumbles if an interest group is unintentionally overlooked e.g. Chinese New Year, Thanksgiving, Yom Kippur etc.etc.

Deepgreen

Established Member
If not official, then some firm action needs to be taken against the staff responsible. Railway stations are not the place for religious statements, and every member of staff should be well aware of the terms of their employment.
I agree, but how many times have we seen "Merry Christmas" displayed (or has it now officially become a secular-only festival)? It needs to be applied equally and fairly.

As a Muslim, the start times (Fajr) and end times (Maghrib) would be useful as these change every day. I’ve been caught out before this Ramadan already, where I had to pop to get a chocolate and water to break my fast before continuing my journey.

Putting quotes that can be taken out of context doesn’t help.
I would suggest that it isn't the job of the railway to provide this information for you.

bramling

Veteran Member
I agree, but how many times have we seen "Merry Christmas" displayed (or has it now officially become a secular-only festival)? It needs to be applied equally and fairly.

Fine. I don’t support Christmas and frankly would prefer we didn’t have it, so no objection from me at all on that.

Having said that, I can see an argument that Christmas is also a public festival as well as a religious event, so I can understand why some might consider this more acceptable. For me, and I suspect much of the population, “Merry Christmas” (or for that matter “Happy Easter”) actually translates to “Enjoy your bank holiday”, with zero religious connotations.

infobleep

Veteran Member
When are religious quotes put up on the screens at Christmas time?
I've never come across this but I've come across groups of people singing Christmas carols.

Not quite the same thing though. Perhaps they should have had people singing songs if that is appropriate for Ramadan.

bramling

Veteran Member
But to have responsibility for what goes on screens in such a major station presumably involves a certain degree of experience and maturity?

Exactly it’s no different to the Underground driver who made the PA announcement relating to Palestine. When in these sorts of roles some level of judgement is both required and expected.

I wouldn’t pick up a PA handset and start promoting my rowing team, and that’s a subject matter far less likely than religion to cause controversy.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I see GB News have got the outcome they wanted. Advertising their brand and their political viewpoint to people who should know better.
Some you win and some you lose, given Ofcom has had various judgements against GB News such as politicians being nees journalists and even a campaign to keep cash.

I'm not a fan of GB News myself.

KGX

Would be great if people are not distracted by the GB News angle and instead concentrate on the ridiculous situation of religious scripture talking about repenting your sins (irrespective of the religion) being broadcast on information boards. Awful stuff.

infobleep

Veteran Member

I read somewhere though that it's ironic that there is hadith of the day readings at a station just above a paigan-themed magic memorabilia shop.
Not only had they not noticed it, it seems the media hadn't either or if someone did contact them about it, they didn't follow it up.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Would be great if people are not distracted by the GB News angle and instead concentrate on the ridiculous situation of religious scripture talking about repenting your sins (irrespective of the religion) being broadcast on information boards. Awful stuff.

If a member of staff put anything at all on a display board unofficially, then they're probably going to be disciplined, whatever it is, and rightly so.

However I don't see what's awful about it. Certainly I think all that rubbish about renaming stations for a laugh is FAR worse, as that's actively misleading to passengers.

Not only had they not noticed it, it seems the media hadn't either or if someone did contact them about it, they didn't follow it up.

Assuming a Harry Potter shop is what's meant by that, I think calling it "a pagan themed magic memorabilia shop" is pushing it rather. And I doubt a single Muslim objects.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't know what a Harry Potter shop is.

Umm, a shop selling goods related to the extremely popular book and movie franchise of that name (which is of a "witches and wizards" type theme)?

I'm genuinely astonished you don't know what that is. Has the whole "platform 9 3/4" thing escaped your attention too? Crikey.

Silenos

I suspect as with most things in this country, the main reason for not making other religions a proper holiday is due to cost and nothing more. look at the speculation over whether there'd be a new BH for the funeral/coronation. I think you'd find little opposition to a few extra days off though :)
In fairness, it would be hard to have a bank holiday for Eid (which would be the most appropriate time) since AIUI the timing depends on when the new moon is visible from Mecca, and so remains uncertain until the last moment.

Purple Train

Established Member
I suspect it was the inclusion of "sin" in there that kicked people off. But it's true - nobody is perfect, anybody who thinks they are is deluded. We all sin (do bad stuff) from time to time, and being apologetic for it to ourselves and others is a good thing, as then we make ourselves better people.

Isn't it just a religious interpretation (I'm not religious) of that rather important humanist principle?
Indeed - I was a bit bemused by people calling it strong stuff! And, with regard to your post #56 - yes, I agree, it's not as bad as "Burberry Street" (I still haven't got over that).

I would agree that a station noticeboard is not the place to be displaying religious texts, yes, but wishing people a Happy [insert festival here] is fine by me, especially if it's on a board that otherwise serves no real purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.