• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail - Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.thomas

Evening all, is there anybody else waiting to hear about jobs recently applied for? I had an email regarding my successful application ( 2 months ago) then a month ago an email explaining about network rail making cuts which may affect the job I have applied for in the future, but nothing more… just wondering if because of the recent news with job losses etc that the whole process has been slowed down.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MT18

Internally all maintenance jobs below section manager have been put on hold with only those who have been offered positions being able to move. Unfortunately I don’t think it’s looking good for external candidates at the moment so if you are I’d be preparing for the worst and seek alternative employment just in case.

D.thomas

I’m already in a good and secure job, just a move into NR would have been a good one for obvious reasons. Strange as there’s many job posts advertised but they’re not hiring.

Trog

Established Member
Also bear in mind that Network Rail HR are as slow as a very slow thing at the best of times.

An old boss of mine having interviewed for a job rang round all the candidates a month or so later, to tell them where they stood, selected, 1st reserve, better luck next time, asking that they said nothing about having received a tip off. As he did not think it was fair to just leave them hanging any longer.

It said a lot that no one seemed to think that this was a bit of a strange way of going about things.

Dunnideer

There is huge unrest brewing around planned job cuts and the lack of a pay rise, they are about to try and fundamentally change the whole way maintenance on the network is delivered. In my opinion you would have to be mad to leave ‘a good and secure job’ to join NR on the maintenance side at the moment.

MT18

There is huge unrest brewing around planned job cuts and the lack of a pay rise, they are about to try and fundamentally change the whole way maintenance on the network is delivered. In my opinion you would have to be mad to leave ‘a good and secure job’ to join NR on the maintenance side at the moment.
Could not agree more with this, I love my job in the railway, best thing I have done since leaving the armed forces, however I’m now looking elsewhere as I can’t relax at the moment and probably for the foreseeable future.

D.thomas

this was February I applied, no news of strikes or cuts, last I heard off them was March.. 2 months next week to be precise. Now I’m not so sure id even contemplate it, but let’s be honest, a lot of company’s in a year or two will be in the same boat.

D.thomas

Evening all, anybody have any advice/ websites/ books to brush up on for the aptitude test for NR? I struggle in multi choice tests which always annoys me as it makes me look rather stupid

D.thomas

Afternoon I’ve received an email saying my application is with the hiring manager… but on the network rail portal ( which is a bag of btw) shows no applications live?

e30ftw

As has been previously mentioned, there is a current freeze on new jobs and filling most vacancies. This is due to people potentialy loosing their current possitions. Dont be so eager to jump, moral is at an all time low at NR

D.thomas

Evening, yeah I understand that, originally I applied Christmas time, then they stopped the job post in May, but recently they re advertised the job I’ve had emails saying it’s at the hiring manager stage, but on my network rail career hub it shows nothing, again I’m in no rush to jump over I’m in a good job myself, but I’m looking to get into something else that’s all.

Status
Not open for further replies.