• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail TRU class 150

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOCDriver

I have seen this 'banana' 150 buzzing around the Manchester and Southport area today. It was parked up in Manchester Victoria for a short while and I managed to get a brief look inside. You have to see it to believe it. The technology is amazing - it's like the Tardis! lol NR tend to be a bit secretive about thier test trains. Does anybody know of any good links regarding info on these test trains?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ANDYS

TOCDriver

TOC driver,

I assume you mean 950001. I agree it is quite a bit of kit and most of that kit (if not all of it) is squashed in one end of the two car unit.

The unit gets about quite a bit and I don't think it is that secretive. Living in Chesterfield, near Derby we seem to see it rather a lot as it moves around the country.

Take a look at one of my photos:-
https://www.flickr.com/photos/66737297@N06/9565267360/in/photolist-fzfrCJ-fzfphS-fzfwXd-fzfuJL

Andy S:)

The unit itself isn't that secretive but its technology is. Would love to know how it goes about its business. Thanks for the pic

Domh245

Established Member
There was an episode of bang goes the theory a while ago about railways, and amongst the other articles, there was one about the NMT and how it does what it does. I doubt that the episode is still on iPlayer though.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Not got much on 950001, but NR produced this about the NMT
[youtube]WhVdTXh5XoA[/youtube]

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The entire industry uses Quail maps - not unusual for most of the people at a meeting to bring their own copies!

The track recording coaches use a combination of inertial navigation, high speed video, laser scanners and various types of sensor to accurately measure and record the geometry and condition of the track and OLE. Some service trains carry similar kit to provide a more frequent check, which helps to manage the infrastructure and plan the best time to intervene.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.