• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Bus Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scania3379man

Hi guys,

When stagecoach take over wigan december/january. i have a curious question, Will council or TFGM have a plan new bus station in Wigan in the future or stay like this? the old bus station is quite old i think it was 20 years old, I think 1988 ish or so. what's your tho/comment?

Thank you, pals

Martyn

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Hi guys,

When stagecoach take over wigan december/january. i have a curious question, Will council or TFGM have a plan new bus station in Wigan in the future or stay like this? the old bus station is quite old i think it was 20 years old, I think 1988 ish or so. what's your tho/comment?

Thank you, pals

Martyn

I'm sorry - your question is quite hard to read but I'll try to give my thoughts - although I don't know Wigan well, I wouldn't have thought 20 years was particularly old for a bus station. I doubt a change of ownership of a bus company would be a particular reason for TfGM to consider rebuilding or replacing a bus station.

Scania3379man

Deerfold,

oh well that because I'm deaf and couldnt make a perfect english sentence, my language is sign language. so i mean i wonder when Council or Transport for greater manchester will have a plan new bus station in wigan? if stagecoach manchester (wigan part) take over on Dec/January.

Anything understand you? if not i can't do anything on good question.

Thank you,

Martyn

mbonwick

Established Member
Just because the operator changes, doesn't mean there's a need for a new bus station.

However, if Stagecoach decide to really push for something new then I'm sure things will slowly start to happen....

Scania3379man

Just because the operator changes, doesn't mean there's a need for a new bus station.

However, if Stagecoach decide to really push for something new then I'm sure things will slowly start to happen....

I mean after stagecoach new start in wigan....like say 1 years or 2 years if they have new plan, that's all I can say.

Martyn

Polarbear

Established Member
Its unlikely that the change from First to Stagecoach in Wigan will precipitate any changes to the bus station.

The bus stations within Greater Manchester are operated by TfGM & whilst some of them are looking a little dated, they still seem to function reasonably well.

You may see a refurbishment of the bus station in the future as some bus stations have had quite a bit of money spent on them (Oldham & Middleton spring to mind). I wouldn't like to put a timescale on that though.

MCW

I mean after stagecoach new start in wigan....like say 1 years or 2 years if they have new plan, that's all I can say.

Martyn

more of a case of Wait and see mate, it's hard to tell.

Lets see what happens first, you never know, after a year the council there may invest more money into the infrastructure.

Statto

Established Member
Other than the current one being rebuilt on the current site, or more likely refurbed i can't see a new bus station in Wigan as as been said TFGM own the bus station not First. The current bus station replaced the old one in Hope Street in the early 80s.

Think Manchester Airport Interchange is not owned by TFGM.

Out of interest, how many bus stations up & down the UK are owned by the bus operator, or any other operator than the Local Authority?

PR1Berske

Established Member
I can't foresee any reason why Stagecoach would need or request a new bus station in Wigan.

Scania3379man

I can't foresee any reason why Stagecoach would need or request a new bus station in Wigan.

I understand that, but in the future tfgm will have a plan for wigan new bus station say I don't know, i dont mean stagecoach want new bus station to buy, no...Only TFGM is responsible for greater manchester so That why Im curious about that you see Wynthensawe, altrincham or maybe bolton will plan new bus station, i believe. I think Wythensawe is go ahead green light as i saw on tfgm website.

Thank you, pal

Martyn

Status
Not open for further replies.