• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New London Airport

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
I've been talking on another forum with some fellow Avgeeks about Heathrow and the issue they have with a new runway. One of the Avgeeks proposed a new London airport. My reply was where. Where would you put it? So that's why I'm starting this thread. If a new airport for London was built, where would one build it? My thoughts are Essex, Kent, or Surrey. Obviously this isn't going to happen under any Government as the prices would be through the roof to build it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PGAT

Established Member
Probably somewhere in Kent, it has the crappiest connections of all the home counties around London

Mzzzs

A floating airport on thames it's an interesting idea. Land close to london will almost certainly cost a fortune and face many problems.

lachlan

I've been talking on another forum with some fellow Avgeeks about Heathrow and the issue they have with a new runway. One of the Avgeeks proposed a new London airport. My reply was where. Where would you put it? So that's why I'm starting this thread. If a new airport for London was built, where would one build it? My thoughts are Essex, Kent, or Surrey. Obviously this isn't going to happen under any Government as the prices would be through the roof to build it.
Sounds like with the new CEO at Heathrow the third runway option is still under active consideration.

PGAT

Established Member
North Weald - close Stansted (and expand Cambridge City Airport) and you have a pretty good site.
It would have been nice if North Weald was chosen as the site of a new airport instead of Stansted when it was still part of the Central line because it doesn’t really make sense to close Stansted now

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Money no object? Environment no concern? Then definitely out in the Thames Estuary, Isle of Grain sort of area. Worked for Hong Kong.

I don’t think London needs another airport though. It has three major airports- four if you include Luton- already. I also don’t think Heathrow needs another runway. It needs better use of its existing infrastructure. One A380 carries the same number of passengers as two B787s. There’s your solution.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
Money no object? Environment no concern? Then definitely out in the Thames Estuary, Isle of Grain sort of area. Worked for Hong Kong.

I don’t think London needs another airport though. It has three major airports- four if you include Luton- already. I also don’t think Heathrow needs another runway. It needs better use of its existing infrastructure. One A380 carries the same number of passengers as two B787s. There’s your solution.

They're not making A380s anymore though.

There's already one plane over head every 90 seconds on the final approach. Not much more they can squeeze in there.

CBlue

North Weald - close Stansted (and expand Cambridge City Airport) and you have a pretty good site.

Good luck expanding Cambridge airport. It's surrounded on all sides by housing or industrial zones and the owners plan to close it for conversion to housing in 2030 or so.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
They're not making A380s anymore though.
They’re not, because airlines have gone down the little and often route. Most of those planes coming into Heathrow will be small narrow-bodies.

Fine, but don’t use piddly little planes then complain about a lack of slots.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Next to Calvert where HS2 and EWR cross. Just about the only thing (apart from a totally new city) that might justify a station there. Runway aligned SW-NE for typical winds would mainly be over less populated areas. Locals would be up in arms no doubt, having defeated a proposal for Cublington back around 1968.

Enthusiast

It would have been nice if North Weald was chosen as the site of a new airport instead of Stansted when it was still part of the Central line...
Bit of a nuisance having to cross the footbridge at Epping with all your luggage. And the power capacity of the single line (2 x 4 cars or 1 x 8 car, IIRC) would definitely be a problem. Still, handy for those coming from Ongar or Blake Hall! :D:D

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Bit of a nuisance having to cross the footbridge at Epping with all your luggage. And the power capacity of the single line (2 x 4 cars or 1 x 8 car, IIRC) would definitely be a problem. Still, handy for those coming from Ongar or Blake Hall! :D:D
Would the runway lights all go dim whenever the train set out?

BayPaul

Established Member
Luton.
Build 3 additional runways south of the current one, with an Atlanta style toast rack terminal between runways 2 & 3, with a new MML station and dedicated M1 junction. Ideally you'd also divert EW rail via the airport, or otherwise provide a link to the WCML and/or ECML.
Positioned on the right side of London with excellent connectivity.

gabrielhj07

The Thames Estuary is on the wrong side of London to be easily accessible from the Midlands & the West. Imagine having to go through or around Greater London to get anywhere.

Luton.
Build 3 additional runways south of the current one, with an Atlanta style toast rack terminal between runways 2 & 3, with a new MML station and dedicated M1 junction. Ideally you'd also divert EW rail via the airport, or otherwise provide a link to the WCML and/or ECML.
Positioned on the right side of London with excellent connectivity.
Topography might become an issue south of Luton

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Yep, Luton is basically sitting on a plateau and on all sides there's either the built up area of Luton or the land falls away without enough space for a parallel runway, unless perhaps it's on stilts Madeira-style.

Chester1

Established Member
I would close London City and London Southend and build housing on the land reserved for Heathrow third runway and ban additional runways at Gatwick, Luton and Stansted. That would still allow London flights to increase until Luton and Stansted are full but would set a hard limit on growth, more reliable than climate change legislation.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The Thames Estuary is on the wrong side of London to be easily accessible from the Midlands & the West. Imagine having to go through or around Greater London to get anywhere.

Quite!

And south of Luton is rathermore than “might”. 50 metre height differences to deal with !

MP33

In the book The Goodies File. Bill Oddie wrote a piece with advice for birdwatching. The answer to the question where is the best place to see threatened and endangered Flora and Fauna. Was find where the Government is planning to build the next Airport or Nuclear Power Station and go there quickly.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Hypothetically and without regard for the environment, I'd say the Hoo peninsula in Kent.
Enough room for 4 runways (2 north of Cliffe/2 north of St Mary Hoo - terminals in-between), extant rail line, close to a fuel terminal. Then you'd close Heathrow and build a new borough of London on it.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
One interesting part of this discussion is that London doesn't really need a new airport, it just needs to use existing ones more efficiently. For instance, Southend is perfect for flights to the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg, and it makes sense to restrict Benelux flights to using only Southend. There are a huge amount of daily flights between London and Amsterdam, and Southend could easily remove the vast majority of them. It's an absurdity for Amsterdam flights to fly to Heathrow, Gatwick or Luton when Southend is right next to the sea.

MotCO

Established Member
How about close to Old Oak Common - it would give HS2 a purpose :D

Trainguy34

One interesting part of this discussion is that London doesn't really need a new airport, it just needs to use existing ones more efficiently. For instance, Southend is perfect for flights to the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg, and it makes sense to restrict Benelux flights to using only Southend. There are a huge amount of daily flights between London and Amsterdam, and Southend could easily remove the vast majority of them. It's an absurdity for Amsterdam flights to fly to Heathrow, Gatwick or Luton when Southend is right next to the sea.
Maybe a "Southend Airport Express" rebrand is in order?