• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Mega Battery Plant at Bridgwater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cakestall

Recent announcement of plans to build a Large Battery manufacturing facility on the site of ROF Puriton makes me wonder if it will lead to the reinstatement of the branch into the site.
A Concrete bridge over the M5 built in the seventies is still in place. It does seem a strange place geographically to build such a plant especially as it will probably serve large areas of Europe and is also nowhere near current UK motor manufacturing areas.
Hopefully there will be opportunities for freight, whilst having thousands working there should do Bridgwater's passenger figures some good.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snowball

Established Member
Recent announcement of plans to build a Large Battery manufacturing facility on the site of ROF Purton
I assume you mean Puriton?
There are various places called Purton in SW England but not near Bridgwater or the M5.

Puriton is not far from Hinckley Point and adjacent to power lines from Hinckley Point. And to solar power sites. Is that relevant?

Last edited:

stuu

Established Member
I assume you mean Puriton?
There are various places called Purton in SW England but not near Bridgwater or the M5.

Puriton is not far from Hinckley Point and adjacent to power lines from Hinckley Point. And to solar power sites. Is that relevant?
Do you mean Hinkley Point? That's a place in Somerset. Hinckley is in Leicestershire. Always be careful when pedanting

The potential for rail access to the site has been suggested officially - they are trying to attract serious manufacturing to the site and were fluttering their eyelashes at Tesla at one point, to no avail

I doubt it would do much for Bridgwater passenger numbers, having 22,000 people working at Hinkley Point hasn't

snowball

Established Member
Do you mean Hinkley Point? That's a place in Somerset. Hinckley is in Leicestershire. Always be careful when pedanting
Well spotted! We should try to bring in the Duke of Bridgewater.

tomuk

Established Member
Recent announcement of plans to build a Large Battery manufacturing facility on the site of ROF Puriton makes me wonder if it will lead to the reinstatement of the branch into the site.
A Concrete bridge over the M5 built in the seventies is still in place. It does seem a strange place geographically to build such a plant especially as it will probably serve large areas of Europe and is also nowhere near current UK motor manufacturing areas.
Hopefully there will be opportunities for freight, whilst having thousands working there should do Bridgwater's passenger figures some good.
It has rail link, is next to the M5, near to Portbury\Avonmouth docks, is a 600+ acre former Ordnance factory, has ready access to water, is nearby the new Hinkley Point Nuclear Power Station. The plant is owned by Tata so batteries will be mainly for JLR who export most of their cars through Portbury and also import cars built in Slovakia from the port of Koper in Slovenia nearby to Trieste.

randyrippley

Established Member
Easy access to water from the Huntspill, which was originally dug to act as a reservoir for the ROF factories

WesternBiker

It has rail link, is next to the M5, near to Portbury\Avonmouth docks, is a 600+ acre former Ordnance factory, has ready access to water, is nearby the new Hinkley Point Nuclear Power Station. The plant is owned by Tata so batteries will be mainly for JLR who export most of their cars through Portbury and also import cars built in Slovakia from the port of Koper in Slovenia nearby to Trieste.
Easy access to water from the Huntspill, which was originally dug to act as a reservoir for the ROF factories
All now confirmed (or as good as) as to the site. My Dad used to work there - it's a huge site and dwarfs the village of Puriton itself. They had already built a new access road to the A39/M5 junction 23. Let's hope the rail connection really will be revived.

The site is easily seen on aerial map views. The line of the railway can clearly be traced as a line of darker trees/vegetation at the top left of the site, either side of the bridge over the M5.

Somerset residents react to plans for £4bn car battery factory​

Residents are looking forward to new jobs being generated by a new £4bn electric car battery factory.
The government confirmed earlier that the UK car industry's biggest factory will be built in Somerset.
The BBC understands it will be built on the old Royal Ordnance Factory site, now called Gravity, at Puriton near Bridgwater.
Emma Rawlings, chief executive of the Somerset Chamber of Commerce, said it will bring opportunities for Somerset.

"As the county chamber of commerce, we're really pleased that this will bring opportunities for our businesses across Somerset and the region," she said.
"It's really pertinent that we are leading in terms of the supply chain.
"Our supply chain are already geared up for what we've done with Hinkley and we can upscale that."
The new "gigafactory" owned by the Tata group, will be located 15.3 miles (24km) from the Hinkley Point C nuclear power station.

Karen Earthy, fitness instructor at Puriton Village Hall, says the news is wonderful and hopes it will bring more people into the area.
"I know there are a few nerves about the volume of traffic, but the amount of jobs it's going to bring into the area, and hopefully it will bring people to my class!"
The new gigafactory in Bridgwater will be one of the largest ever investments in the UK automotive sector and will create up to 4,000 new jobs and thousands more in the wider supply chain.
It will be the largest factory in Europe and will make batteries for Jaguar Land Rover vehicles like Range Rover, the Defender and the Jaguar brands.
The plant is set to provide almost half the battery production needed by 2030, before the government introduces a ban on the sale of new diesel and petrol cars.

Kerry Chalin lives in Puriton and says she looks forward to the thousands of jobs the plant will create.
"I've got three grandsons that all live in the villages surrounding and I'm really hoping that they will find some employment when they grow up," she said.
However, Ms Chalin says local opinion is going to be very mixed.
"Going by the Facebook page, there's people that really don't like the idea and they're going to move away - so they say - and others of course will welcome it because it will bring loads of money to the area."
Sarah Hills says she hopes the factory may also potentially bring new transport links to the area.
"I'm not able to drive, so it will now aid me in transport to be able to get from A to B, to achieve what I want to," she said.

Pauline Nutty lives in West Huntspill and thinks the factory is a really good idea for Somerset.
"More work for everybody," she said, although she also expects it to cause house prices to increase in the area.
BBC Chief Political Correspondent Nick Eardley says it is a significant move for the UK car industry.
"It's good for jobs, it's definitely good for the electric car industry because we talk a lot about moving from diesel, petrol to electric and we see electric cars popping up everywhere," he said.
"They need batteries and for a while there has been a bit of criticism that there hasn't been enough of a strategy to try and make the batteries here [in the UK]."
Tata said it would invest £4bn in the plant, but it is understood that the government will invest in subsidies worth hundreds of millions of pounds.

Professor Peter Wells is an electric car industry expert and director of the Centre for Automotive Industry Research at Cardiff University.
He says the plant is so important due to the direction the industry is going in and believes Somerset was chosen due to its "implicit attractiveness".
"It's a good big site, it's got a good electricity supply, it's got a decent logistics position," he said.
The plant will be the first Tata gigafactory outside of India and the largest in Europe.
However, by contrast, the EU has 35 electric plants open, under construction or planned.

"We're definitely playing catch up," Professor Wells added.
"It doesn't take away the competitive threat and this plant's future will be very closely tied to the future of Jaguar Land Rover.
"This is an extremely competitive market. We are behind in terms of developing these capabilities and for me, it doesn't make the UK as a location particularly more attractive to other investments."
Steve Leahy, President of Bridgwater Chambers of Commerce says he does not think there is anywhere else in the UK who will do the project better.
However, Mr Leahy says the plant will need to bring people in from Bristol and other cities to fulfil the site's labour requirements.
"Bridgwater is used to large project builds and has managed that while learning lessons," said Mr Leahy.
"One of my concerns is infrastructure. Infrastructure is massively important and there's got to be a major project to look at that."

Last edited:

brad465

Established Member
I'm surprised at how popular it seems to be being received, I'd have thought there might be a NIMBY element to this (or there is but they're not reporting it).

Bridgwater is a growing town with a population not far behind nearby Taunton and Weston-super-Mare, yet it only has an hourly regular service and a few peak extras. Should this plant be completed this will only add to demands for a better rail service for the town I think.

randyrippley

Established Member
I just hope they've done a proper check of soil / groundwater contamination of that site.
Explosive / propellant manufacture tends to leave a lot of toxic residues

JKF

I'm surprised at how popular it seems to be being received, I'd have thought there might be a NIMBY element to this (or there is but they're not reporting it).
it’s on a brownfield site that previously supplied a lot of employment, not in a particularly scenic place, has it’s own access road (which also serves as a bypass for existing traffic from the motorway) so not likely to cause traffic issues in the village, and is a ‘green’ business that will have generally broad support with the public. I would have thought opposition would be fairly limited on this basis.

WesternBiker

it’s on a brownfield site that previously supplied a lot of employment, not in a particularly scenic place, has it’s own access road (which also serves as a bypass for existing traffic from the motorway) so not likely to cause traffic issues in the village, and is a ‘green’ business that will have generally broad support with the public. I would have thought opposition would be fairly limited on this basis.
Agreed - Bridgwater has been deprived for a long time, and many of the jobs in the wider catchment (e.g. in distribution, tourism) are not particularly well paid. The Hinkley Point construction has boosted the town somewhat, but some more decently paid manufacturing jobs would be welcome.

The fact there was a large factory there within living memory always helps with these things, and I'm sure the detailed planning proposal will come with landscaping and other environmental mitigations. The existing undeveloped site is a bit of an eyesore when viewed from the nearby Polden Hills. (Though I do think the Somerset Levels have their own peculiar attractiveness. ;) But then I was born in the area...)

Snow1964

Established Member
Agreed - Bridgwater has been deprived for a long time, and many of the jobs in the wider catchment (e.g. in distribution, tourism) are not particularly well paid. The Hinkley Point construction has boosted the town somewhat, but some more decently paid manufacturing jobs would be welcome.

The fact there was a large factory there within living memory always helps with these things, and I'm sure the detailed planning proposal will come with landscaping and other environmental mitigations. The existing undeveloped site is a bit of an eyesore when viewed from the nearby Polden Hills. (Though I do think the Somerset Levels have their own peculiar attractiveness. ;) But then I was born in the area...)
Bridgewater (and number of other coastal towns in area, Highbridge, Burnham, Brean etc) have relatively poorly paid employment, so chance of 4000 good jobs, and more on Gravity estate (Gravity is name of development of part of the site)

The land was low quality, interspersed with drainage ditches. It was developed about 1940 during WW2 and was initially just called Royal Ordnance Factory 37. ROF37 even had its own power station.

During the war there was a temporary hut village near Woolavington for workers, a German POW camp at Colley Lane, and an Italian POW camp near Goathurst. The POWs were used for agricultural work.

The rail bridge over M5 is still there (but without tracks), link to google streetview of bridge (is it a bridge or a viaduct as has at 5 intermediate piers)

The proposed battery factory could supply Jaguar's car factories in the west midlands. Batteries are heavy -- would Lickey incline be an obstacle, or would trains be routed via Didcot west curve?

richard_S

They could bring in the lithium from Cornwall by rail and ship batteries out by rail. The plant at Halewood has a rail head.

tomuk

Established Member
The proposed battery factory could supply Jaguar's car factories in the west midlands. Batteries are heavy -- would Lickey incline be an obstacle, or would trains be routed via Didcot west curve?
The batteries would probably need to be transported to Wolverhampton to the current engine and powertrain integration plant.

The Planner

Veteran Member
The batteries would probably need to be transported to Wolverhampton to the current engine and powertrain integration plant.
If Jaguar really wanted to use rail, then they could probably ship to the new Four Ashes freight terminal. Not far from their plant by the M54.

richard_S

If Jaguar really wanted to use rail, then they could probably ship to the new Four Ashes freight terminal. Not far from their plant by the M54.
I think the size and quantities of EV batteries required for a production plant rail will be the cheapest option. Maybe they could be the new MGR trains of the future.

If the plant can get work to supply Nissan in Sunderland then I would think rail would be even more viable.

Lickey Bank. Yes there are 4 dedicated. What really needs to happen for freight on the Bristol to Birmingham line is a set of dedicated loco's available on spot hire in a non profit based system available for all operators. It would probably open the route up for a lot more freight.

Would a max lengh train of cargo wagons full of batteries actually weigh more than or equal to a full steel train and would class 92's make the perfect banker of a little effort was made infrastructure side. Believe there are National Grid power lines nearby for a dedicated supply rather than one currently near New Street.

The Planner

Veteran Member
If the plant can get work to supply Nissan in Sunderland then I would think rail would be even more viable.

Lickey Bank. Yes there are 4 dedicated. What really needs to happen for freight on the Bristol to Birmingham line is a set of dedicated loco's available on spot hire in a non profit based system available for all operators. It would probably open the route up for a lot more freight.

Would a max lengh train of cargo wagons full of batteries actually weigh more than or equal to a full steel train and would class 92's make the perfect banker of a little effort was made infrastructure side. Believe there are National Grid power lines nearby for a dedicated supply rather than one currently near New Street.
New feeds cost a bomb and would never pay their way for just freight.

richard_S

I think lithium batteries are about 55% less in weight than lead acid batteries. So a banking engine would have no problems getting up the Lickey incline. But could they not come via Srewsbury then south through Wolverhampton. Thus avoiding the incline.

The Planner

Veteran Member
I think lithium batteries are about 55% less in weight than lead acid batteries. So a banking engine would have no problems getting up the Lickey incline. But could they not come via Srewsbury then south through Wolverhampton. Thus avoiding the incline.
Thats a massive dog leg via the Severn Tunnel and Hereford. The time and mileage penalty wouldnt outweigh the banking.

I'm amused by the thought of electrifying a line to serve a train whose freight is nothing but batteries!
Just a feed, Lickey already electrified but power is supplied for passenger trains not 5mw freight loco's

Would the route through Kidderminster work?
Old Hill Bank I believe is max 800 tons then banker required. Tesco Liner is routed up but it's nearly empty and the load quoted on Realtime trains is a timing load not am actual load like many freights.

Snow1964

Established Member
Its the only route I can think of to avoid the incline.
Would the route through Kidderminster work?
To avoid Lickey, could also go via Bristol, Chippenham, Oxford (but Swindon-Didcot west is very busy).

Going via Filton Bank would possibly also create problems and need double heading, or restricted trailing weight

Just a feed, Lickey already electrified but power is supplied for passenger trains not 5mw freight loco's
I am sure only 2 of 4 tracks are electrified near Longbridge, and Lickey spurs can't take electric banking locos either. So would need both upgraded feeds and remaining tracks done.

The Kidderminster line and line from Kings Norton are included in the high priority electrification schemes in newly updated West Midlands strategy (see page 29)

Electrification from near Weston super Mare via Bristol and Yate-Gloucester is also aspiration of West of England Combined Authority. That would leave diesel gaps from the battery plant near Puriton to Weston SM area and Gloucester to Worcester area. Not sure if the reduced power of a pair of 93s could allow this without taking too long to clear sections

AlastairFraser

Established Member
To avoid Lickey, could also go via Bristol, Chippenham, Oxford (but Swindon-Didcot west is very busy).

Going via Filton Bank would possibly also create problems and need double heading, or restricted trailing weight
Yes, but, as you've said, the GWML is very busy. Trying to get any decent paths would be a nightmare.

Old Hill Bank I believe is max 800 tons then banker required. Tesco Liner is routed up but it's nearly empty and the load quoted on Realtime trains is a timing load not am actual load like many freights.
Oh OK, so you'd need a banker, but perhaps only temporarily while it is electrified...

According to the poster downthread, Lickey Bank would require an electrification upgrade, so Kidderminster sounds like the better option.

The Planner

Veteran Member
We don't even know where any trains, if there are any, are going. There is nothing to preclude them running more but lighter trains to avoid banking, not that banking is a real issue. If they run via Kidderminster then that restricts them pretty much to overnight as getting across Galton and Soho is a nightmare in the daytime.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
We don't even know where any trains, if there are any, are going. There is nothing to preclude them running more but lighter trains to avoid banking, not that banking is a real issue. If they run via Kidderminster then that restricts them pretty much to overnight as getting across Galton and Soho is a nightmare in the daytime.
I can imagine that, but surely using the Cross City Line in daytime is unfeasible too?

Status
Not open for further replies.