• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Mills Central landslip - 6 week closure

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
While it's borrowing from Peter to pay Paul, worth sending one of the Rose Hills via Brinnington/Bredbury? That was always the busier route.

People from Marple itself will probably just drive up to Rose Hill, and Romiley has both of course.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Purple Train

Established Member
While it's borrowing from Peter to pay Paul, worth sending one of the Rose Hills via Brinnington/Bredbury? That was always the busier route.

People from Marple itself will probably just drive up to Rose Hill, and Romiley has both of course.
Given both Hyde stations are reasonably close to stations on the Glossop line, that strikes me as fairly reasonable.

tpc

Did this particular train really run past New Mills Central?
Sure did, I was driving it. At caution between Strines and New Mills. Everything following went via Hazel Grove as pilotman was brought in for the new Mills service around 8am.

plugwash

Established Member
realtimetrains claims that both the 06:40 (mentioned earlier in this thread) and the 07:48 from picadilly went via Marple.

Is that wrong?

MCR247

Established Member
realtimetrains claims that both the 06:40 (mentioned earlier in this thread) and the 07:48 from picadilly went via Marple.

Is that wrong?
The previous posts should answer that :)

tpc

Is that wrong?
That is probably correct then, I wasn't aware the 7.48 managed to sneak through before the single line working started

RaymondT

Would it be beyond the realms of possibility to terminate the New Mills trains at Chinley instead of having a bus service between the two?

1D53

Established Member
Would it be beyond the realms of possibility to terminate the New Mills trains at Chinley instead of having a bus service between the two?
The Single Line Working would be unfeasible.

al78

Established Member
I've never known so much rain as the last year or so. Climate change is just adding more and more problems, ironically to the mode that's best placed to reduce it.
March 2023 to February 2024 was the fourth wettest 12 month period on record for England and Wales, records go back to 1765. March has also been a wet month. I cannot remember such a prolonged period with the jet stream anomalously placed south of its normal position. Scotland has been much drier relative to climatology over the same period.

stra200

Is it possible to claim delay repay for unplanned engineering works like this?

I have to use the Chinley replacement bus as I travel on a Derbyshire Wayfarer from on the Northern Nottingham - Sheffield line (£15.40 instead of £29) so every journey is now going to be 45 mins longer (the journey is already frustrating enough due to the normal 1hr wait in Shef both directions).

I'm guessing there is no leniency with taking the Shef to Stockport then back out to Newtown option (£40) on a wayfarer considering the circumstances? This route is only 15 minutes longer, even with the walk

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is it possible to claim delay repay for unplanned engineering works like this?
Statutory delay compensation is based on when you purchased the ticket, thus forming the contract.

However some TOCs take the view that the enhanced amounts payable under Delay Repay only apply if they haven't removed the trains from the timetable.

Class 170101

Established Member
I've never known so many landslips and sinkholes in my 21 years on the railway.....
No indeed neither have I. I do woner if NR have enough staff to deal with all of them mind, currently four on the go now, Grange Over Sands, Telford, Pontefract and New Mills.

The north west has had 145% of average annual rainfall over the past 6 months, February was 175% above average. Elsewhere has been even more above average, with the East seeing 283% of average rainfall in February
But what does that actually mean in absolute terms (numbers versus percentages)

300% of 10mm would be insignificant but 300% of 100mm would be newsworthy. BBC Weather are just as bad for using that.

Established Member
Five years from Network Rail's tree-a-geddon / rail adhesion improvement exercise
I've never known so many landslips and sinkholes in my 21 years on the railway.....
the roots are now totally rotten and the whole muddy pile is falling down ;)

Geeves

Established Member
And the answer is that they should not have ever let the trees grow out of everywhere (and everything) in the first place.

Killingworth

Established Member
And the answer is that they should not have ever let the trees grow out of everywhere (and everything) in the first place.

Clever things trees, they'll takeover anywhere and everywhere if given the opportunity.

But returning to New Mills. Have I missed a picture of the damage that requires 6 weeks to resolve? Landslide, land slip, subsidence are all more likely in very wet conditions like we've experienced this winter.

The Snake Pass on the A57 is currently restricted to lighter vehicles with traffic lights in 2 places. There has been one major slip where the outer carriageway has gone completely. On the second the outer carriageway is starting to subside. This is in addition to all the major undulations from many previous incidents where repairs have had to be made.

Freightmaster

Established Member
The Snake Pass on the A57 is currently restricted to lighter vehicles with traffic lights in 2 places. There has been one major slip where the outer carriageway has gone completely. On the second the outer carriageway is starting to subside. This is in addition to all the major undulations from many previous incidents where repairs have had to be made.
If that carries on unchecked, will it eventually end up like this...?

...or will money be found to keep shoring it up?

MARK

mandub

You couldn't take any photos really without walking the track from NMC.
The down line visibly dips and leans to the left towards the valley below. As you go over the section the train leans over to the left quite noticeably.

Established Member
Other than this on a New Mills Facebook page, there isn't any juicy photos as you wanted because traffic has been stopped on the line before it was too late.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1711620873447.jpg
    FB_IMG_1711620873447.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 318

Killingworth

Established Member
Other than this on a New Mills Facebook page, there isn't any juicy photos as you wanted because traffic has been stopped on the line before it was too late.

A lesser example of what is happening all the time on the Snake (and even more so below Mam Tor) but you'd never run a railway there! They serve aa examples of how difficult it is to maintain an undulating road let alone a flat railway.

skyhigh

Established Member
No indeed neither have I. I do woner if NR have enough staff to deal with all of them mind, currently four on the go now, Grange Over Sands, Telford, Pontefract and New Mills.
At least 5, Baildon is also still ongoing.

The latest update appears that the line is shut until June, 3 months away, with houses being demolished.

That is Baildon, which is nowhere near to New Mills.

M&NEJ

Thank you! That juicy picture clarifies it greatly to my mind!

ChrisC

Established Member
March 2023 to February 2024 was the fourth wettest 12 month period on record for England and Wales, records go back to 1765. March has also been a wet month. I cannot remember such a prolonged period with the jet stream anomalously placed south of its normal position. Scotland has been much drier relative to climatology over the same period.
But returning to New Mills. Have I missed a picture of the damage that requires 6 weeks to resolve? Landslide, land slip, subsidence are all more likely in very wet conditions like we've experienced this winter.

I’ve just been out this morning cycling along some country lanes near Southwell in Nottinghamshire. After just a few hours of rain overnight there is standing water in the fields and water running off the fields onto the roads. The ground is so saturated and waterlogged that it can’t take any more. This is towards the eastern side of Nottinghamshire, which is normally one of the drier parts of the country, so I can imagine what it is like up in the Derbyshire hills. It all started here with Storm Babet in October and the ground has never dried out enough to absorb any more water since then. Looking at the forecast for the next 2 weeks there is lots of rain forecast with no prolonged period of dry weather in sight.

The recent spate of landslides, sink holes etc on the rail network and roads could very well be a result of cutting down maintenance but I do think it’s also very much a consequence of the the very wet winter. The contrast between very hot dry summers followed by extremely wet winters could also be causing problems of instability. People living in built up areas will find the relentless wet weather an inconvenience and annoyance. However, it is out in the more rural areas with the waterlogged land where the effects can really be seen.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
At least give Hazel Grove a temp. service to Sheffield so that people from Marple area can drive there and park.