• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New/Recently Opened Stations With/Without Ticket Offices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llandudno

Established Member
With the ‘public consultation’ underway regarding the closure of virtually every station ticket office in England I was wondering about the following:

Which stations have recently been opened or significantly rebuilt and have had a booking office installed which will soon be closed?

Which new stations are currently under construction where a ticket office is included in the design stage?

If station ticket offices are to be closed permanently are there any proposed station (or line) openings that now won’t need a ticket office which could mean that opening a new station (or line) costs less money and may help the business case for a new station better?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Burnley Manchester Road had a new ticket office at the end of 2014, previously it was unstaffed. Warrington West opened with a ticket office in 2020. Worcestershire Parkway opened with one in 2021.

In the past fifteen or so years, Mauldeth Road, Chassen Road and Flixton had new modular buildings installed to replace old ones. Eccles had a replacement too.

Gloster

Established Member
At Ryde Esplanade the ticket office has been moved across the concourse into a former staff room. Completely refurbished with two windows and sliding doors.

The exile

Established Member
Reading Green Park and Oxford Parkway both appear to have open counters - which may be exactly what the DfT have in mind.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Edinburgh Gateway opened with a ticket office, though ScotRail only closed about three of theirs so that's not necccesarily incongruous.

Reading Green Park and Oxford Parkway both appear to have open counters - which may be exactly what the DfT have in mind.
I think Bicester Village might have this arrangement too?

I should add Wolverhampton had a new desk also, initially open-plan style but it never opened as such. A temporary hut now sits in front of the hole where the desk would have been.

Birmingham International got a completely new "island desk" arrangement, about a decade ago.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Edinburgh Gateway opened with a ticket office, though ScotRail only closed about three of theirs so that's not necccesarily incongruous.

I think Bicester Village might have this arrangement too?

I should add Wolverhampton had a new desk also, initially open-plan style but it never opened as such. A temporary hut now sits in front of the hole where the desk would have been.

Birmingham International got a completely new "island desk" arrangement, about a decade ago.
Isn't Edinburgh Gateway staffed by Transport Scotland staff rather than ScotRail staff? Or was that just at the start when it opened

Gaelan

Also worth noting that Edinburgh Gateway is cleverly laid out so that the person in the ticket office is also the person monitoring the barriers.

Ridercross

Kidderminster reopened in 2020 with a brand new building with two behind glass ticket desks. The indoor waiting area and toilets are inside the station building too.

FGW_DID

Established Member

Yes, Reading Green Park & Newbury have an open counter and are specifically mentioned in the GWR spiel as the new model.

Ticket office staff would be freed up to work in other areas of the station where they are closer to customers and better placed to help, in line with models already in place at some Great Western Railway stations such as Newbury or Reading Green Park.

Class 170101

Established Member
Also worth noting that Edinburgh Gateway is cleverly laid out so that the person in the ticket office is also the person monitoring the barriers.
Not unheard of in Scotland. Charing Cross (Glasgow) is the same and I'd be surprised there isn't more around Glasgow.like it.

Cambridge North doesn't have a ticket office as far as I know. I'd be surprised if either Cambridge South or Beaulieu Park have one either.

MikeWM

Established Member
Cambridge North indeed doesn't, it had the wonderful new model of staff hanging around the ticket machines trying to tell you how to use them. Except for when they are nowhere to be found, which is a lot of the time. According to GA's website there is supposed to be 'customer service information', which I assume means these 'roaming staff', until 2000 every day, but I don't think I've ever once seen anyone available and doing that at around 1830, when I'm usually passing through.

I'm not sure it counts a 'significant' rebuild, but the ticket office at Ely was moved from one side of the booking hall to the other less than a year ago as part of a fairly substantial set of changes, and yet is now due to close.

Edit : yep, just went through Cambridge North. Ticket gates manned, but no-one at the 'customer services' desk by the ticket machines.

Last edited:

iphone76

My local station, Wickford, was demolished just before covid to extend the Southminster bay platform to take the 720s.

It was demolished with no replacement plans submitted. Apparently there is now no money for a rebuild post covid. I wondered today whether they will ever build a replacement, or just tarmac over the old station footprint and remove the temporary portacabin ticket windows.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Not unheard of in Scotland. Charing Cross (Glasgow) is the same and I'd be surprised there isn't more around Glasgow.like it.
I believe TfW have a similar multi-function arrangement at Cardiff Queen Street and Cardiff Central southern entrance. Chiltern Railways have some too but I can't quite remember where, High Wycombe and Gerrards Cross maybe? London Overground had them at Imperial Wharf and Canonbury, but I'm not sure if they're still used in this way.

Probably quite a lot of others I've missed too.

BJames

Established Member
Think this is the same as the GWR open counters as mentioned above - passing through Oxford Parkway recently I did notice the different style of design. One member of staff for ticket/customer service/barriers/everything else you need there

Gaelan

Think this is the same as the GWR open counters as mentioned above - passing through Oxford Parkway recently I did notice the different style of design. One member of staff for ticket/customer service/barriers/everything else you need there
The design at EGY isn't "open" per se - there's a pane of glass - but yes, sounds like a similar concept.

Supercoss

London - Brent Cross West which opens in 3 month built without ticket office , only ticket machines on concourse .

willgreen

LBA Parkway planned station currently has a ticket office as part of the design (not sure why, it's already costing a slightly silly amount)

markymark2000

On Moderation
It's one of the things that surprised me the most about stations, why isn't this much more common? It would save so many members of staff at smaller, quieter stations.

I believe TfW have a similar multi-function arrangement at Cardiff Queen Street and Cardiff Central southern entrance. Chiltern Railways have some too but I can't quite remember where, High Wycombe and Gerrards Cross maybe? London Overground had them at Imperial Wharf and Canonbury, but I'm not sure if they're still used in this way.
Queen Street and Central have separate staff for gateline

John Luxton

Established Member
Okehampton Station on the recently reopened Dartmoor Line has had its ticket office refurbished last winter.

It had previously been conserved by the previous heritage operation.

However, whilst the office is now open for viewing, ticket sales are only by machine.

willgreen

Probably referring to the proposed Leeds/Bradford Airport Parkway station. @willgreen. Could you confirm?
Yep correct. Having checked, the proposed Thorpe Park station also is planned to have a ticket office, which again sounds nuts compared to say the stations at Kirkstall Forge/Apperley Bridge.

Probably quite a lot of others I've missed too.
Oxford Parkway and Bicester Village were opened like that.

Trainguy34

I don't think Thanet Parkway does and that only opened this morning. Feel free to correct if wrong.

Whisky Papa

How recent is recent? Buckshaw Parkway, opened in 2011 with full ticket office hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.