• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Scotrail/EMR TVMs that only print e-tickets

kkong

Mod note: Split from this thread about the - slightly different as they still also print CCSTs where needed, and not to e-ticket spec - Greater Anglia trial

ScotRail have put one (1) Cammax / SilverRail TVM Smart Kiosk of what appears to be the same type as used by EMR into service at Glasgow central.

This will have been planned when Abellio still had the ScotRail franchise.

It is said to be issuing tickets featuring "QR barcodes", however I assume it will be neither of those, but rather Aztec codes.

ScotRail is encouraging feedback on the machine.

ScotRail trials new Smart Kiosk ticket machine

Last updated: Tuesday, 5 March 2024

ScotRail is introducing a new ticket vending machine to the network in a trial that could lead to improved ticket options and clearer information for customers at stations across Scotland.

The new machine, called a Smart Kiosk, is much more advanced than regular ticket machines, giving customers additional options to plan their journey and choose a seat preference, as well as purchase tickets for the day of travel.

Customers can also plan for future travel and benefit from cheaper, advanced fares, where available.

With improved accessibility features, customers can change the Smart Kiosk user interface at the touch of a button, allowing the navigation screen to adapt to be more accessible for all users.

The smart ticket machine can also be used by two customers at once, allowing the main screen to provide ticket vending and information, while a companion screen to the side of the unit enables the loading of tickets onto Smartcards.

Better connectivity will allow the Smart Kiosk to offer live travel information, including train times and platform numbers.

Smart Kiosks can also distribute new paper tickets featuring QR barcodes, aligning with the new industry standard for paper tickets sold by most UK train operators.

Customers are now being encouraged to try the Smart Kiosk, currently located in Glasgow Central station, and provide feedback which could help improve the future of ticket retailing.

Customers using the trial Smart Kiosk are also being offered the chance to win a return ticket to anywhere in Scotland with ScotRail.

Claire Dickie, ScotRail Commercial Director, said:

"ScotRail is pleased to be able to trial the new Smart Kiosk, offering more advanced ticket options and information for our customers.

"Any feedback received can help ScotRail develop an even better journey experience across the network."

Smart%20kiosk.JPG

(The image shows the new ScotRail "Smart Kiosk" at Glasgow Central, alongside a conventional Scheidt & Bachmann TVM)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Adam Williams

Established Member
ScotRail have put one (1) Cammax / SilverRail TVM Smart Kiosk of what appears to be the same type as used by EMR into service at Glasgow central.

Why is barcoded PRT okay for the TOC, but not E-Ticket fulfillment for an online retailer?

TOCs are printing PRTs literally to plain white paper now

PRT on white stock

kkong

Why is barcoded PRT okay for the TOC, but not E-Ticket fulfillment for an online retailer?

You should probably send that feedback to ScotRail... not that they have provided any means for doing so... or that it will have any impact.

Gaelan

This will have been planned when Abellio still had the ScotRail franchise.

It is said to be issuing tickets featuring "QR barcodes", however I assume it will be neither of those, but rather Aztec codes.

ScotRail is encouraging feedback on the machine.

Smart%20kiosk.JPG

(The image shows the new ScotRail "Smart Kiosk" at Glasgow Central, alongside a conventional Scheidt & Bachmann TVM)

TOCs are printing PRTs literally to plain white paper now

View attachment 153670
Do we have any reason to believe these will be of the white paper type? Presumably it's just a matter of what kind of till roll is in the machine, so we won't know until the machine's on, no?

kkong

Do we have any reason to believe these will be of the white paper type? Presumably it's just a matter of what kind of till roll is in the machine, so we won't know until the machine's on, no?

The machine is apparently on now, so if you are local to GLC, could you kindly pop down and have a play? ;)

Adam Williams

Established Member
Do we have any reason to believe these will be of the white paper type?
My understanding from a colleague is that it literally just fulfils to E-Ticket on paper (i.e. not PRT) even on flows where this is prohibited for every other industry participant in RCS.

trainJam

I found a used and discarded ticket issued from Selly Oak on the new white National Rail barcode stock recently.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
My understanding from a colleague is that it literally just fulfils to E-Ticket on paper (i.e. not PRT) even on flows where this is prohibited for every other industry participant in RCS.
It looks like the same model of machine as at some EMR locations. The EMR ones do indeed just print to what looks and feels a white receipt roll (no RSP number).

Benjwri

Established Member
Given this fairly rapidly paced change to this barcoded plain format, I have to wonder how long it will be before we see an attempt to introduce a gateline without CCST slots. Would certainly save on a significant amount of mechanical parts.

Krokodil

Established Member
I'd be tempted to buy one for a Merseyrail destination, just to confuse them.
They'll be used to it because PRTs are still issued by onboard staff at other TOCs to destinations on Merseyside so plenty of people have to be waved through the side gate as it is. It's not like Maltese Cross tickets where neither e-ticket or PRT are options.

Given this fairly rapidly paced change to this barcoded plain format, I have to wonder how long it will be before we see an attempt to introduce a gateline without CCST slots. Would certainly save on a significant amount of mechanical parts.
I suppose that will be contingent on sorting out the cross-London issue. Once that's done the number of CCSTs will drop dramatically

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Already exists, Vix have some gates in Wales that don't have CCST

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Already exists, Vix have some gates in Wales that don't have CCST
Indeed - though AFAIK these Vix gates also have 'traditional' Cubic barrier arrays in the same gateline? I suspect there's still a significant-enough Wales-London demand that it's not tenable to replace an entire gateline with Vix gates yet.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Indeed - though AFAIK these Vix gates also have 'traditional' Cubic barrier arrays in the same gateline? I suspect there's still a significant-enough Wales-London demand that it's not tenable to replace an entire gateline with Vix gates yet.

Though most Wales to London demand will be e-tickets to London Terminals, not cross London tickets or Travelcards.

AdamWW

Established Member

Yes it's just the odd gate.

I don't think travel to London has much to do with the need for their retention - more the fact that all the local TVMs and indeed ticket offices issue magnetic stripe tickets.