• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New South Western franchise: Awarded to First/MTR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Yes, just seen that elsewhere. The reason for my tardiness is that I won't be signing them and I've been off work for a few weeks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Apart from maybe the 158/159 fleet, does all the heavy maintenance get done on all classes at Bournemouth or is it split between Bournemouth and other depots?

No it doesn't. That's why both Desiro fleets have been going through Eastleigh works for their overhauls for the last few years.

The 158/9s have also been to Bournemouth for certain work if capacity hasn't been available at Salisbury, it just depends on what they decide at the time.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Have the 707's been considered for South Eastern so commuters finally get some stock with Air Con?

The truth is no-one has a clue, but if you read the 707 thread the pros and cons do get discussed. The basic problem is that they do nothing about providing 12 car capability in 'as delivered' condition...

theageofthetra

On Moderation
The truth is no-one has a clue, but if you read the 707 thread the pros and cons do get discussed. The basic problem is that they do nothing about providing 12 car capability in 'as delivered' condition...
True but could run where only 8 can at the moment e.g Orp-Vic or Dartford -Vic.

DelW

Established Member
Avengers Assemble!

Will any of the train crew look like this then?

(Sorry IanXC:lol:)

For those of us of a certain age, "New Avengers" brings memories of Joanna Lumley and co rather than that film. But maybe she's more akin to the 455s - been around a while but still popular with the older generation :D - don't think I'd better push the analogy any further though :roll:

theageofthetra

On Moderation
For those of us of a certain age, "New Avengers" brings memories of Joanna Lumley and co rather than that film. But maybe she's more akin to the 455s - been around a while but still popular with the older generation :D - don't think I'd better push the analogy any further though :roll:

I just think of a ***** Chrysler car of the 70's!

CosherB

Established Member

By jove! That's cheered me up at lunchtime! :lol:

pompeyfan

Established Member
According to Paul Clifton, SWT drivers have been balloted for industrial action, this is the first I've heard about it. Does anyone know what the dispute is about? Something to do with new signalling arrangements at Waterloo? Is it the DVD packs ASLEF are unhappy with?

vikingdriver

According to Paul Clifton, SWT drivers have been balloted for industrial action, this is the first I've heard about it. Does anyone know what the dispute is about? Something to do with new signalling arrangements at Waterloo? Is it the DVD packs ASLEF are unhappy with?

Have we?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
By all accounts its to do with Network Rail repositioning signals at Waterloo and nothing to do with SWT.

Perhaps this thread in the signal box forum is relevant. It might mean something to someone. To do with positioning of co-acting starter signals.

http://forum.signalbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7942

So it isn't really a 'new franchise' subject, but very much about remodelling...

Last edited:

scruffer04

By all accounts its to do with Network Rail repositioning signals at Waterloo and nothing to do with SWT.
Didn't think you could call strike action against third party actions, only against your employer???

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

pompeyfan

Established Member
Didn't think you could call strike action against third party actions, only against your employer???

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ASLEF want assurances that only 8 car units will use 8 and 9 because of the location of the main aspect and co acting.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
ASLEF want assurances that only 8 car units will use 8 and 9 because of the location of the main aspect and co acting.

Does SWTs actually have any say as to what trains use what platform? Wouldn't it be the signallers who decide?

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Does SWTs actually have any say as to what trains use what platform? Wouldn't it be the signallers who decide?

Trains are booked in the timetable based on how many coaches that the platform can take. The signallers then work to the timetable (if the job's stuffed, the signallers have the platform length guide in front of them so they can decide what goes where)

(http://www.aslefwaterloonineelmsbranch.org.uk/useful.php)

Especially in the peak, having two platforms which can only take 8 will be astronomically disruptive, especially going into the future with Aventras.

I suspect there's more to the story that we don't know

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
I was having a quick look at RTT at what was using 8 it seemed to vary a lot as to what services used 8, do 8 and 9 have any particular services "assigned" to them normally?

Status
Not open for further replies.