• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Station calendar

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I have updated the table to reflect changes in the programme for the Northumberland line - route and four stations (of six) now expected to open late this year (November / December) with two stations opening 'six months' later. See the linked thread for more information.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JRT

Elland Railway Station update
(Halifax Courier)

New £25m train station for Calderdale town will be delayed until 2026, 'because of a variety of factors'

The completion date for this scheme has been pushed back until late 2026 because of a variety of factors, including design changes and supply chain challenges.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
The picture story (above link) refers to a previous article (Friday 12th):

Yorkshire Evening Post (Leeds news you can trust since 1890)
White Rose Station: Progress report issued as new £26.5 million Leeds rail station hit by delays

A progress report on construction of the highly-anticipated White Rose Rail Station has been issued.

Situated between Morley and Cottingley, the White Rose Rail Station will be located on the TransPennine route to Manchester via Huddersfield. It will be a two-platform station providing improved access to the adjacent White Rose office park, shopping centre and bus interchange.

The new £26.5 million station, which will replace Cottingley Rail Station, was scheduled to open in early 2024 but is now set to be hit by delays - the YEP can exclusively reveal.

A West Yorkshire Combined Authority spokesperson said: "Work on the new, fully accessible White Rose Rail Station is now expected to continue until later this year.

"We have made significant progress on the project despite a number of challenges, which include managing building works next to a live railway line.

"We’re looking forward to welcoming passengers to the new rail station, which will improve transport links, connect people with jobs and opportunities, and boost economic regeneration.”

Installation of both platforms on the embankment, including canopies and construction of the lift / stair buildings are now believed to have taken place.

Both link bridges to platforms have also been lifted into position, while works on the access road and finalisation of the station's footpath designs are underway.

Hull-based Spencer Group is delivering the project for White Rose owner Munroe K in conjunction with Network Rail, the West Yorkshire Combined Authority, Leeds City Council and the Department for Transport.

If they used project management software, it would give them a revised completion date, rather than a vague 'later'

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
If they used project management software, it would give them a revised completion date, rather than a vague 'later

“They” do use project planning software. But, obviously, “they” dont want to commit to a new date in public.

AndyHudds

Elland Railway Station update
(Halifax Courier)

New £25m train station for Calderdale town will be delayed until 2026, 'because of a variety of factors'

The completion date for this scheme has been pushed back until late 2026 because of a variety of factors, including design changes and supply chain challenges.
I wouldn't be surprised if this is quietly shelved. Design changes and supply chain challenges?

rapmastaj

I wouldn't be surprised if this is quietly shelved. Design changes and supply chain challenges?

With the dire state of local government finances, I think WYCA and West Yorks councils are delaying anything that can be delayed. They're still committed in principle, but are probably not going to do any more than the bare minimum till funding increases.

Snow1964

Established Member
Bit of an update on proposed Wellington station in Somerset. The plan is to provide access road by extending a new road from by a Lidl store, the new road will also serve 220 new homes. However following recent court rulings new homes on Somerset levels need to have phosphate certificates (confirmation won't increase phospates).

If new homes don't happen, then although doesn't directly affect the proposed station, the contributions from homes are in doubt

Somerset Council has been working with Network Rail to bring forward a new railway station in Wellington, with the final business case expected to be submitted to the Department for Transport (DfT) by the end of January.

West of England Developments (Taunton) Ltd. put forward plans in June 2023 for a new development of 220 homes and commercial space, which would unlock the new station site by extending the current access road to the Lidl supermarket off Nynehead Road.

Unconfirmed reports circulated around the Christmas period suggesting that this development would not be able to go ahead due to the level of phosphate credits being needed to offset the new homes – meaning the station site could not be accessed safety.

But Somerset Council has now confirmed that this development is achievable using phosphate credits and the creation of new wetlands, and stressed it was still working towards the new station being open to passengers by September 2025.

In addition to the new homes and commercial space, the planned development would deliver car parking to the south of the station site, with new footpaths and cycle routes links to the town centre and nearby housing developments being created through a new park.

The railway station itself will be subject to a separate planning application by Network Rail, which will also explore footpath links to the north linking the station to the Nynehead boat lift and west towards the Tonedale Mill and Tone Works regeneration sites (which recently received £20m from the government’s levelling up fund).

Ashley Hill

Established Member
So the new Wellington station will be on the outskirts near Poole. I admit the old site wasn’t ideal but it was only a reasonable distance to the town centre.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Further amendment to the Northumberland Line details. There is some flip-flopping about the possible opening date for 'the line'. So I've gone for the easy way out - 2024. Northumberland Park wasn't mentioned as delayed last week but now is, so has been changed to 2025.

brad465

Established Member
I was under the impression the proposal for Somerton and Langport was for a single station to serve both communities?
So I see. In the OP they look separate but on looking at the BBC site they are joint.
Yes I believe the plan is to have one station, I recall Long Sutton and Pitney old station site being considered as a rough midpoint between the two towns. I do wonder though how it would be served though if it ever opened: it may not be able to get London trains, and a new local service, while it would be great, could have problems with pathing and start/end point capacity: Taunton probably needs Platform 6 to be accessible directly from the down main at least, and Frome/Westbury may run into pathing difficulties, especially if the Weymouth-Bristol hourly proposals become reality.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Not see it mentioned yes, but might have missed it
Belfast Grand Central, due to open sometime on 2024 or 2025
A very good point!
UK is United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. This is RailUK forum, not RailGB forum so entry added at #1.

For clarity the new rail station is wholly separate from the present Great Victoria Street Station so I think counts as 'new' rather an extension of the existing station. No overlap of platforms or concourse.

Boops708

Winslow station closed to passengers in 1968. When I passed through it on a charter in the early 1980s the platforms were in no fit state to allow boarding. If those Chiltern Shoppers used it there would have been a substantial cost in making the infrastructure fit for purpose.
http://www.winslow-history.org.uk/winslow_railway.shtm photo of 1987 shopper train at Winslow with boarding passengers about half way down the page..

Freightmaster

Established Member
http://www.winslow-history.org.uk/winslow_railway.shtm photo of 1987 shopper train at Winslow with boarding passengers about half way down the page..
The platforms certainly seem to be in a 'fit state' to me:

Milton%20Keynes%20shopper%201987.jpg

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Status of HS2 stations at Curzon Street and Old Oak Common changed to 'under construction' rather than 'route works commenced'. Work at Interchange is due to begin in 2024, I shall update #1 table when that happens.

Waterbeach (originally opening 2021), not yet featuring in the #1 table, has slipped to 2026. See the station thread for the news item.

snowball

Established Member
Network Rail press release about Haxby

New images have been released showing what Haxby’s new multimillion pound station could look like after the submission of a planning application, bringing the reconnection of the town and neighbouring areas to the UK rail network a step closer.

Just days after Prime Minister Rishi Sunak’s visit to the proposed site, Network Rail, in partnership with City of York Council and the Department for Transport, has submitted a planning application to build a new, two platform railway station in the town.

The station, located on Towthorpe Road, will be part of the York to Scarborough line and be the town’s first rail connection in almost 100 years after the previous station was closed in 1930.

The £24m project is being delivered by Network Rail through funding from the Department for Transport and City of York Council. Subject to planning consent being granted, final detailed designs will be completed throughout the remainder of 2024, with construction expected to start on site in spring 2025.

The new images show what the station could look like in the future, with a fully accessible footbridge with lifts and steps connecting the two platforms, bike shelters, a 154-space car park (including EV charging), taxi rank and a bus stop. Shared-use paths will connect the station to residential areas of Haxby for those travelling to the station on foot or by bicycle.

So far, around £3.5m has been provided from the Restoring Your Railways fund, which aims to support the reinstatement of old lines and stations.

Network Rail has already carried out ground surveys at the proposed station site. The new station is expected to enter service in 2026.

The planning application can be viewed at www.york.gov.uk/planningapplications under reference number 24/00325/FULM.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
An article has appeared discussing five proposed stations on the South Wales Metro network. The online article is here and I have published the full text on the relevant thread here. Page 198, post #5,922, it's a long read otherwise!
I repeat just the key details here (regarding opening dates):

Crwys Road
Due: 2024
Expected arrival: 2025

Butetown
Expected arrival: 2025

Cardiff East Station
Due: 2028
Expected arrival: Delayed

Gabalfa
Due: 2028
Expected arrival: 2028

Ely Mill
Expected arrival: Cancelled

Last edited:

YorksLad12

Established Member
White Rose station construction apparently stopped. Story here in Yorkshire Post:
Thought it had gone quiet. It looked nowhere near finished when I 'flew' past there on Saturday on a couple of stoppers. Anyway, they'll be getting the tram now ;) :lol: