• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Stations/Re-Openings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
A line that has recently (effectivly) re-opened is Fishguard - Clarbeston Road. In a month or two (probablly May 14th) there will be a new station, FGW (that's Fishguard & Goodwick) re-openning on that line.

I'd like to see a 90mph line built up from Cardiff or Merthyr to Newtown via Brecon, partly by re-openning the old line but a lot of that was too twisty for the express route I'm after. It would be electrified (perhaps with 100mph streches) from Cardiff to Brecon using 377s (or similar-looking units). North of Brecon an hourly class 158 would run to Newtown, alternately extending to Wrexham (via Oswestry using a re-built line) and Bangor (using a brand new 90mph line from Porthmadog towards Caernarfon). Probably need to double much of the Cambrian main line to allow that, and Wales would need a lot more 158s.

My more realistic 'wish list' for new/re-opened lines in southern Wales is:

1. Swansea District Line for 1hr 22min Carmarthen - Cardiff services using 158s (ideally extending to/from Pembrokeshire), all that's needed initally is more 158s, but some linespeed improvments to get that time down even more would be nice
  2. Ammanford Central / Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen - Swansea Docks (line already exists, just need rolling stock and new stations at Swansea Docks, somewhere on the district line section and on the Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen branch (although electrification would be nice))
  3. Aberdare - Swansea Docks via Glyn-Neath (again electrification would be nice, most of the route still has track but there is a bit of a gap)
  4. Swansea Docks - Swansea High Street - Mumbles tram.
  5. Carmarthen - Aberystwyth (new alignment in places to make it faster, including a big new tunnel to avoid the most tortorus bit)
  6. Linespeed improvments in Pembrokeshire to allow a reduction in journey time to compete with planned new roads, and a new St. Clears station

Gaerwen to Almwch and link it it with the reopening of the Caernavon line.The former runs throught he principal town on Angelsey of Llangefni,it then runs up to the well populated parts of the north of the island.In terms of tourism it would be a real boon and in terms of social and commuter traffic it would give access to towns on the mainland such as Bangor and Llandudno.The reopening of the Caernavon line would also make sense because of the congestion in and around the town created both by local and tourist traffic.
The Almwch line would also be a better route for nuclear traffic for the proposed Nuclear power station at Wylfa,certainly in terms of geographical location.
Sounds like re-openning the Almwch line would be a good plan, a good stepping stone on the way to my idea of a new Bangor - Porthmadog line could be an Almwch - Bangor - Caernarfon service.

I'd like to finish by suggesting a case against a new line, the proposed western spur to Heathrow. I seem to remember the quote for that being very expensive, if they have that money to throw around it should be put into electrification. Since you would have to change at Reading anyway, couldn't you have a Reading - Heathrow service calling at Maidenhead, Slough and Hayes & Harlington, reversing at Hayes & Harlington? It would still save the trip into Paddington and back out, and save alot of money too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VTPreston_Tez

A new station in the north of England, where there's no station for a while is really the best bet.
Camberwell would be a viable London station too.
Maybe create a new Ongar service from Liverpool Street but with ECML connections? That would be popular.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
A new station in the north of England, where there's no station for a while is really the best bet.

:lol: Except for Buckshaw Parkway in October 2011...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Buckshaw Parkway is actually the newest NR station in Britain!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Where's that?

A quite sizeable town between Newton-le-Willows and Atherton. Due to TfGM's unquestionable wisdom, it will become home to a guided busway into Manchester, in lieu of a reopened heavy rail connection from Atherton / Walkden.

Was it really that hard to Google Maps Leigh, Manchester?

LE Greys

Established Member
Either Holme or Yaxley would be a possibility in my area, to serve the southern half of Peterborough, which might reduce demands on expresses/parking. However, that depends on having four tracks, so that a stopping EMU does not hold up an express. Otherwise, both Wotton Bassatt Junction and Corsham have been suggested for the GWML. Both are large enough to support a station and have an extensive bus service to Swindon and Bath.

Requeststop

One station not mentioned here but spoken of often back home is to open the old Carn Brae as Pool between Redruth and Camborne. Redruth/Camborne is the largest conurbation in Cornwall and Pool is the one area where the population has been growing the last 15-20 years.

PR1Berske

Established Member
Leigh would be great for either rail or Metrolink but, alas, guided busways lead the way....

Buckshaw Parkway is the youngest station on the network, and I can guarantee, rock solid absolute guarantee, that at least one passenger would look out the window to say "Ooh, what's this? Is this a new station?"

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
There is of course the proposal for a reopened Haxby station. It would be on the outskirts of York on the Scarborough line.

Given the service on the line is currently the hourly Liverpool TPE, I'm not sure its viable until the mooted Scarborough-York shuttle was in place. There's also the problem of the level crossings being down for even longer on busy roads.

Holly

Leigh would be great for either rail or Metrolink but, alas, guided busways lead the way...."
There has been talk, from time to time, of re-instating the former Kenyon Junction station (on the Liverpool-Manchester line presently being electrified). Near Leigh.

PR1Berske

Established Member
There has been talk, from time to time, of re-instating the former Kenyon Junction station (on the Liverpool-Manchester line presently being electrified). Near Leigh.

Well yes, but there has been talk about the working class rising up and storming Bucks Palace but that ain't happening either.

Status
Not open for further replies.