• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Street Platforms

MiNi

Having not been to new street in decades does the platforms that have a number and a letter mean that multiple trains can be in the same platform at the same times.
I got to go from 7a to 4c when changing,I assume it's up the escalator turn left for pl 4 then up to a end for 4c. ??!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrJeeves

Established Member
Having not been to new street in decades does the platforms that have a number and a letter mean that multiple trains can be in the same platform at the same times.
Yep, standard at many stations these days.

My understanding is that the main difference between New Street and many other locations where trains platform share is that New Street is fully signalled for this, with multiple signals on every platform to allow this sharing to take place without the permissive working used for the majority of other stations.

jfollows

Established Member
I got to go from 7a to 4c when changing,I assume it's up the escalator turn left for pl 4 then up to a end for 4c. ??!
No, platform 4c is at the "b end" and not at the "a end".
The easiest route is the footbridge at the "b end" of platform 7, otherwise you may have to go through barriers which is annoying.

Platform 4c is a relatively new and totally separate platform from the long a/b platforms which have been in existence for a long time.

Last edited:

Ken H

On Moderation
Yep, standard at many stations these days.

My understanding is that the main difference between New Street and many other locations where trains platform share is that New Street is fully signalled for this, with multiple signals on every platform to allow this sharing to take place without the permissive working used for the majority of other stations.
New st is a bit different. Through platforms only have a and b sections. 4c is a bay at the end of 4. I suppose they didnt want to renumber 5 - 12 to 6 -13. And would they want a plat 13?

I remember when they renumbered Leeds years ago. The suffixes before the change were E and W for east and west.

mangyiscute

Established Member
I would just echo, walk up to the B side on platform 7 then cross over to platform 4, otherwise you will have to exit and re-enter a gateline (if you cross at the A side). 4C is the far end of the B side of platform 4.

TonyColeman2

New st is a bit different. Through platforms only have a and b sections. 4c is a bay at the end of 4. I suppose they didnt want to renumber 5 - 12 to 6 -13. And would they want a plat 13?

I remember when they renumbered Leeds years ago. The suffixes before the change were E and W for east and west.
Platform 13 was the official word for I’m going to the pub back in the day at Bhm

LPJOHN

I notice on RTT that the 21:34 Birmingham New Street to Liverpool Lime Street is booked to depart from “2M”, also, the 21:36 to London departs from “4M”. What is the “M”?

Attachments

• IMG_0187.jpeg
    IMG_0187.jpeg
    427.4 KB · Views: 34

The Planner

Veteran Member
Does that mean taking up the entire platform, or are three trains timetabled to a platform on some occasions? If it's in the middle and occupying part of both A and B, what platform letter is shown on the screens?
Shows on all of them. It can be both of your scenarios.

Undiscovered

This is the case.
Depending on where you're departing from, you might need three signals to show proceed aspects just to clear the platform, certainly on some of the higher numbered ones.

While the signalling diagrams might show just two berths, it is possible to have a number of different units in a single platform. I certainly remember coming onto platform 9 with a two car, to park on top of two other units already there. Whilst it's a great space saving solution, it can lead to passengers ending up on the wrong services, quite easily.