• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New to the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan-FFDP-1990

Greetings everyone;

I'm Dan, 23 years young from North Wales here. Over the past few years I've had a burning desire to try and secure a trainee driver position with one of the companies who operate out of my local depot, and this month has bought about the decision to apply to any that become available.

As a bit of background on myself, I'm experienced in the field of health and safety (specifically the legislation such as the HASAWA1974, NEBOSH - qualification held - and the EAWregs 1989), managing myself and others I work with, duty of care, safety rule/instruction compliance, and of course handling stressful situations calmy and efficiently.

As you'll see on my bio, I work in the HV electricity transmission industry as an electrical SAP. I like to think that my career history so far (ignoring working at Mcdonalds whilst I was at college...) will provide beneficial to me for any future applications for a trainee driving position. (I qualified for the job with seven GCSE's above C, and three at grade D, finally adding on three A-levels [Maths, Physics and Electronics] all graded at C from college).

I basically just wanted this to be a welcome post, as I'll be carefully monitoring these threads for any trainee positions which may arise.

Cheers everyone, make yourself known by replying with some info on yourselves :)

Dan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Red18

Hi Dan,
Your qualifications probably won't mean much to be honest, you will still need to pass the various assessments. You are just as likely to be accepted with either a Degree or a 25M Breast Stroke certificate. Don't dismiss your experience working at Mcdonalds either. Good customer service, dealing with difficult customers, following rules and turning up for work on time etc.. is just as important in the recruitment process.
Good luck.

Bluebri

Welcome to the forum and good luck. As Red said, your experience will not count for that much unless you can sell it well in the application and interviews. The process to becoming a driver is arduous to get straight in on a trainee vacancy. You will find this forum an excellent source of information and advice. The best advice I can give you is don't be complacent. Leave nothing to chance and prepare yourself as well as you can. There are quite a few vacancies cropping up at the moment but I can't see that lasting forever and there are a great many people hunting the same few vacancies. It is worth considering other vacancies on the railway too to get your foot in the door, but that is your choice at the end of the day. Good luck at any rate.

387star

On Moderation
nothing to stop you taking the tests privately at Doncaster...

if you pass may mean nothing and you may need to take part or all the tests again but at least you know if you might pass!

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I got through my interviews using examples from mainly outside work. I used things as diverse as my experiences whilst travelling to diy jobs I had done. I generally found the process to be fair but very slow, so be patient.

Dan-FFDP-1990

The process to becoming a driver is arduous to get straight in on a trainee vacancy. You will find this forum an excellent source of information and advice. The best advice I can give you is don't be complacent.

By no means did I want that to come across as "I have a responsible job now, so I'm inevitably going to get a position", that's not at all what I was aiming for! (This is me just making sure I'm not coming across as an arrogant ass!)

Thanks for all the replies, I'll be quite an active member on here fr now on to keep up to date. It's an exciting prospect, to be a driver, and my fingers are all crossed for an opportunity to arise with success.

Are any of you guys who've replied drivers?

Dan

johnsonr380

I'm not a driver, been sitting in the pool for just over 7 weeks. The best thing you could of done is join this forum, I've found it and the members to be great, sharing knowledge and experiences.

It's been a contributing factor in me passing. If you put in the time for preparation then that's a big start. Get to know the company your applying for and practice any mock tests you are sent.

People are always here to help with any queries.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I start as a trainee driver in June & the advice given on this forum has been invaluable in helping me get there.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Welcome to the forum Dan, and I hope the driving career goes far!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.