• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

*new* Trainee conductor manchester and Wigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MadeinWigan

Wonder if i should go for Wigan. I'm in the drivers talent pool for Wigan but I don't feel anything will come from that after nearly a year. Certainly not heard anything that suggests there will be a change soon.

Wonder if being in the talent pool would prejudice being a conductor as it would be obvious that I would like to be a driver. Thing is, I wouldn't like to miss an opportunity to get into the rail industry because of the talent pool. What happens if I sit in the talent pool for another year only to be told "thanks but no thanks"

302PS

The talent pool is moving but don't know if any wigan candidates have been contacted, can only do what you feel is right long term

MadeinWigan

The lack of communication has been a constant frustration, just an email to update us every now and again would be nice.

It is a hard decision but I'm not getting any younger and I need things to start moving. Of course, I could go for the conductor roll, get nowhere with it and then have blown my chance with the driving roll.

Merry Christmas!!!

johnsonr380

Anybody in the driver pool thinking of going for this. Ive really considered it but torn as not sure I wanna leave the pool just yet??

Cant decide what to do for the best.......stick or twist?

Applied a year end of January.

garageflower

Could anyone clarify this for me - so if you’re in the talent pool for a trainee conductor role at Manchester or Wigan would these roles have been offered to you prior to advertisement... or are they released and then you’re competing against the interview/assessment scores of the new candidates, as well as those already sat in the talent pool?

Cheers.

Andrew32

The amount of people they require for upcoming vacancies will exceed the amount of people they have left in the pool so they will need to recruit to fill the pool up again.

Your score will go up against new applicants but you wouldn't be in the pool if they didn't want to employ you, I sat in Skipton conductor pool for 18 months and got a job in August this year, some people who were on my course got offered a job a few days after passing the conductor assessment while a few had been waiting for a while.

Just sit tight is all I can say.

For those in the drivers pool, I know how you all feel given that I sat in a talent pool for 18 months.

Again I'd say sit tight, if you want to go for the Conductor role then do it, however if you were successful you can't apply for another role within Northern for six months and your existing application will be cancelled.

Good luck to everyone anyway.

BigLee

The amount of people they require for upcoming vacancies will exceed the amount of people they have left in the pool so they will need to recruit to fill the pool up again.

Your score will go up against new applicants but you wouldn't be in the pool if they didn't want to employ you, I sat in Skipton conductor pool for 18 months and got a job in August this year, some people who were on my course got offered a job a few days after passing the conductor assessment while a few had been waiting for a while.

Just sit tight is all I can say.

For those in the drivers pool, I know how you all feel given that I sat in a talent pool for 18 months.

Again I'd say sit tight, if you want to go for the Conductor role then do it, however if you were successful you can't apply for another role within Northern for six months and your existing application will be cancelled.

Good luck to everyone anyway.

Thats good info Andrew32, thanks. I was offered the Skipton position for an October start but couldn't accept this side of year end because of my current contract. Just sat in the talent pool now. Hopefully will join you early 2015! Looks like you are local to me too

302PS

This current advert states a start date of 23rd feb

Last edited:

WCMLaddict

Wonder if i should go for Wigan. I'm in the drivers talent pool for Wigan but I don't feel anything will come from that after nearly a year. Certainly not heard anything that suggests there will be a change soon.

Wonder if being in the talent pool would prejudice being a conductor as it would be obvious that I would like to be a driver. Thing is, I wouldn't like to miss an opportunity to get into the rail industry because of the talent pool. What happens if I sit in the talent pool for another year only to be told "thanks but no thanks"

To be perfectly honest with you Wigan extremely rarely take on trainees when compared to other depots. It's one of those places where there's usually a waiting list for transfers, most recent one waited 2 years for it.
They are enlarging though at the moment but I would imagine they might be able to fill in the vacancies with transferees

MadeinWigan

Thanks, that's the impression that I got. Hopefully they were right with their requirements and it will happen next year.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Out of interest, why is there high demand to transfer to Wigan?

Status
Not open for further replies.