• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New York Subway

Status
Not open for further replies.

HST Power

Established Member
Has anyone ever been on this? I know we have a few American members so perhaps they could furnish me with a few details, that is if they happen to see the thread!

I've been reading up on it, trying to understand the various lines, and the numbering systems they have for the trains. The one thing that really strikes me is the enormity of the subway. It's absolutely huge!

I would be interested to hear more if we have any members who have been onboard.

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
As a Londoner to be honest I found it no more difficult to navigate than the London underground once you find your feet. The one thing you need to be aware of are the trains that are scheduled to miss out stops, but that is easy to get the hang of as they generally run on an adjacent line.

Safety is fine if you don't wander off to remote parts of the system, usual big city precautions apply, just keep your wits about you. Don't rely on being able to understand the on train announcements from the guard, they are not very clear unless they have introduced automatic announcements recently.

If you get the chance - go there. New York is an amazing experience if you like big cities, and the subway is certainly is an impressive system.

williamn

Yes its easy enough to navigate once you understand not all trains stop at all stations. On the minus side trains are less frequent than in London and the stations are pretty grotty.

ModernRailways

Established Member
A friend went over to New York for their holiday a fortnight ago.

They say it's fairly reliable, more so than the Underground, but is absolutely scruffy. Apparently, when he got back he said that 'London has never smelt so good' implying New York and it's subway smelt badly.

He says it's quite easy to navigate, but is difficult at first. It's just a case of getting to grips with it.

Apparently tramps, beggars, and other unpleasant people are quite common but if you just try to blend in, as if you're a New Yorker (?) yourself then they don't bother you.

One final point was he said it can be quite dangerous in the outskirts late at night as gangs board. I doubted that part, but he could have just been wrong time, wrong place.

Enjoy your trip, and if you have any specific questions I'll ask him for you!

Searle

Established Member
Make sure you take some water with you wherever you go, the trains themselves are air conditioned, but the platforms are horribly stuffy and hot, and there can be a good 10-15 minute wait sometimes.

Also, make sure you know which trains are express and which are all stoppers and where they stop, my girlfriend went straight through her destination on an express many times!

Once you get the hang of it, it's a piece of cake really :D

If you're buying a metrocard by credit/debit card and it asks you for a ZIP code (or something similar) on the machine, just enter '9999', and it'll give it to you fine.

oh and one last thing, make sure if you swipe your Metrocard without using it, you won't be able to use it for a while (I think it's about 17 minutes), and there are never anyone manning the barriers, so you'll have to jump them. Try not to get into this situation! :D

duncanp

Established Member
There are differing service patterns at night, and as in London engineering work can disrupt services at weekends, so look for the "Service Advisory" notices.

Other than that it is very similar to London in a lot of respects. Yes, there are tramps and beggars who frequent the system, but no more so than in London or Paris.

I think the key thing is familiarise yourself with which line you want and whether you want the "uptown (northbound) or downtown (southbound) direction.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Huge system , very basic stations which can be quite complex (especially where 2 or 3 seperate lines come together and the signage can be tricky unless you are a native) - stations can get really , really hot though the trains are ice-cool) - services run at extended intervals compared to London. Watch for getting on an express train by mistake rather than a local - especially on the northbound "A" from 59th to 125th non stop. Unlike the 1970's and the 1980's - personal safety not an issue - though maybe if you go wondering off to Brooklyn and the Bronx hang around the driving cab or the conductor (bar on the L which is DOO) - who is usually around the middle of the train. At quiet times there are off peak waiting areas near the station agents or CCTV which are designated clearly. Like any city - watch your pockets and "step inside and watch the closing doors" .....enjoy.

HST Power

Established Member
Many thanks for all the responses. I won't be going on the Subway this year, but we are scheduled to go overseas next year, so perhaps I will get an opportunity at that time.

I think I'm beginning to understand the various services, the routes and the hundreds of different streets the Americans seem to have!

Do mainline trains run from Grand Central Station, or is it merely one of the main stops?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Great system, but the stations are hot, dark and dirty (no jokes thank you!)

Some of the older subway cars have only half a cab, with a forward facing window in the other half that passengers (or riders as they are known over there) can stand behind and look out of. The 7 had these last year when I was there, as did many other lines.

Look for the moveable platform at Times Sq on the shuttle to Grand Central.

Lines go over the Manhattan Bridge and Williamsboro bridge, worth a trip.

MTA are building a huge interchange to link Fulton st / Cortland St in the city district, should be well on to being finished by next year. Unlike the 2nd avenue subway which was thought of 1929, started work in 1972, started again 2007, and should be open in 2016. For 2 miles of route! Makes Crossrail look positively athletic.

Grand Central is a magnificent terminal with regular services to the New York northern suburbs and also much further upstate and out to New England. First station out is Harlem.

Penn St station in mid town is like the old Birmingham New Street, just much bigger, services from here to across the US, plus suburban trains to NJ and Long Island.

And you can't miss McSorely's bar on E 7th St (as recommended by Chief Planner). Two beers - 'light' and 'dark'. Order half the number you actually want. And they don't serve halves.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I have a fleet list that I can e-mail ( PM me with requests ) if that's of any interest, but be aware it's 11 years old.....

WestCoast

Established Member
It's a very interesting system indeed, I enjoyed using it when I was there 18 months or so ago (time has flown by!). Particularly the 7 train heading into Manhattan from Queens on the elevated line, with that amazing view of the skyline out of the front window.

I found it quite easy to use actually, as long as you followed the signage and made the distinction between Express and Local, Uptown and Downtown e.t.c. Much cheaper than London, I seem to remember the 5-day Unlimited Metrocard coming in at a very modest figure of around £18.

I found the onboard train comfort quite good, yes the rolling stock has plastic seating, but the cars are air conditioned from what I saw and mostly in reasonable-to-good condition (this is apparently quite different to how it used to be). It also seemed to be less crowded than I expected, didn't experience LU-style "crush loading". The newer sets had all the mod cons like automated announcements e.t.c.

The stations, however, I found to be rather dark and grubby, making them not awfully pleasant places to hang around in. The system is full of "characters" lets say (mostly non-offensive), some of whom seem to roam around all day taking advantage of fairly low visible staffing levels. I don't recall seeing many MTA staff members at even the busiest stations like Times Square, certainly much fewer then you'd see at say Victoria or Oxford Circus in London.

Last edited:

waynenm1

I'm one of the American members, and although we live in the desert southwest, I have ridden the NYC subways many times. Before we met, my wife worked for several years for the Visiting Nurse Service in NYC and she was extremely familiar with the Manhattan subways. All pretty good comments so far. I would especially recommend the rides on the B,D,N,Q over the Manhattan Bridge and the J,M,Z over the Williamsburg Bridge . The 7 is on elevated tracks in Queens, although it does tuck underground before crossing the East River into Manhattan. I think it has been said that along the 7 line you can hear over 100 different languages spoken as the train travels the most ethnically diverse area in the world.

Indeed many of the stations are rather scrungy, but several have been recently refurbished with interesting mosaics. I recommend 81st on the B,C (Museum of Natural History), 42nd st on the A,C,E (Port Authority Bus terminal), 4,5,6,S,7 at 42nd St (Grand Central Terminal). GCT was restored to its original glory back about 6 or 7 years ago, worth a look. GCT only serves commuter trains these days. I think 14th St on the A,C,E has some sculptures. More later. wf.

Last edited:

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Queensborough Plaza on the 7 and N lines is an amazing open air elevated station on 2 leels with astounding views of the city scape .....and for a really interesting run out - take the J (Z also in the peaks - semi/fast - to Jamaica Centre (from Broad Street or Chambers Street - the latter looking like a semi-abandoned station but "interesting" and back to the city via the underground but fast E line. Best done fairly early in the day - the J is one of the oldest elevated sections and goes through classic 19thC Brooklyn - much better area than it was. Myrtle Ave on the J is a junction and well worth a side trip if you are pushed for time to see / get the authentic NYC elevated vibe. Good photographic location.
Top tip - the no 6 train (the Lex Local as in the taking of Pelham 123) turns round by using the single track loop line at Brooklyn Bridge southbound to northbound - if you ask the conductor very nicely - they might let you ride the loop - which has the abandoned 1904 City Hall station. Worked for me several times.

Some of the 1964 R33 cars still running (known as Brightliners as they were the 1st aluminium cars with distinctive ridged sides) - on the IND / BMT divisions - they are real "proper" trains which go like the wind and have the half-cabs for the forward or back view - try and find them - the A and E are I think their haunts ...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Many thanks for all the responses. I won't be going on the Subway this year, but we are scheduled to go overseas next year, so perhaps I will get an opportunity at that time.

I think I'm beginning to understand the various services, the routes and the hundreds of different streets the Americans seem to have!

Do mainline trains run from Grand Central Station, or is it merely one of the main stops?

A handfull of Amtrak - but a really good run is up the Hudson Valley - sit left on the departure side for the river views to Cold Spring (about 45 mins) - a charming 19thC riverside "small town America" - not far from West Point Military Academy. You would think you were 500 miles from NYC. Metro North . :D

Searle

Established Member

Yep, there are a huge amount of trains out of Grand Central, and it's definitely worth a visit for the architecture, the place is beautiful (quite unlike NY Penn!)

I agree with ChiefPlanner about the Hudson Line. I went to Dobbs Ferry, about 30 minutes on a commuter train out of Grand Central. Not a lot there, but it was a beautiful journey and it was so calm and quiet, yet so close to NYC.

If you're looking for some photos, I went to Marcy Avenue and Broadway Junction on the J/M/Z lines, they all run above ground there and it's a really good place to go for a little while if you're interested.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Other than that it is very similar to London in a lot of respects. Yes, there are tramps and beggars who frequent the system, but no more so than in London or Paris.

I've never seen a begger or tramp on the London underground.

HST Power

Established Member
I saw one tramp at Moorgate when I was coming home last year, but that's the only time I can think of!

That aside, thanks once again to all the detailed responses and experiences shared by our members, which have proved very useful in developing my understanding of the Subway system. Hopefully I will get the chance to get onboard as soon as possible!

The only real query I have remaining is about the workings of the fares system. I've had a look on Wikipedia but how are the fares worked out - is there a 'Zones' system similar to what we see on the Underground?

greatkingrat

Established Member
No, it is just a flat fare of $2.50 whether you go one stop or 20 stops. If you are planning on doing a lot of travelling, you will probably be better off getting an unlimited pass at $30 for 7 days.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I have - many times.

Mind you, the tramps are usually quickly removed.

Not so many these days - but have removed plenty over the years off both LUL (where I had no authority) , and off "National Rail" - one bleeding heart probably Hampstead resident called me a "racist bigot" for moving some one on - and was gratified to see the rest of the passengers rounding on her.

Back to NY - the crews call the worst of the itinerants - "skells" - mostly found one gathers on very late / overnight services. Cannot say found many of them - but the odd hustler selling genuine Kashmir scarves for $2......

HST Power

Established Member
No, it is just a flat fare of $2.50 whether you go one stop or 20 stops. If you are planning on doing a lot of travelling, you will probably be better off getting an unlimited pass at $30 for 7 days.

$30 for 7 days and unlimited travel comes with that? So no Zone restrictions, none of this 'touch in' or 'touch out' waffle, no Travelcards or area restrictions......I wish our system was that simple!

Searle

Established Member
$30 for 7 days and unlimited travel comes with that? So no Zone restrictions, none of this 'touch in' or 'touch out' waffle, no Travelcards or area restrictions......I wish our system was that simple!

Just swipe the card on entry, simple as that ;)

WestCoast

Established Member

Yes, you simply swipe your Metrocard and go through the turnstile, there aren't any zones or peak/off-peak distinctions. It's a very simple tariff. The Metrocard covers MTA Subways, buses and the Roosevelt Island Tramway (cable car) within the boroughs of NYC. It doesn't cover trains or e.g. the PATH to New Jersey.

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Well the competition is 6 lane highways every 1/5 of a mile (in Manhattan at least) and petrol at about 70p a litre...

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Check out parking costs in NYC .......(explains the strength of the subway , buses and taxi offer) ......

Manhatten is an island remember - and the portcullis is the bridge and tunnel toll system unless you are uber-rich !!!

waynenm1

Yes $30, plus a one-time $1 fee for a new card. If the Metrocard expires or is damaged the new one does not have a replacement fee. You also have to go through a turnstile upon exiting the subway, but you do not have to swipe the card again (no tap-out).

Here is the official MTA word on train frequency:
"In general, trains run every 2 to 5 minutes during rush hours (6:30 - 9:30 a.m., and 3:30 - 8 p.m., Monday through Friday), every 5 to 10 minutes during the midday (9:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday), every 5 to 15 minutes in the evening (8 p.m. - midnight), and about every 20 minutes between midnight and 6:30 a.m."
This is of course line dependent, the busiest lines will have the more frequent service, it may seem like you are waiting forever for an L, compared to a Times Square shuttle.
Also note that at late night expresses will run local, for example an A will make all stops and there will be no C service. Late night is around midnight to 6am or so.

There have been no Amtrak trains from Grand Central Terminal since ~1990, just commuter trains since then.

Some (older) New Yorker's still refer to the subways by the IRT,IND,BMT nomenclature. IND = Independent subway, IRT = Interborough Rapid Transit, BMT = Brooklyn Manhattan Transit. Here is the translation table:
1,2,3,4,5,6,7,9, Times Square shuttle = IRT
A,B,C,D,E,F,G,Q = IND
J,L,M,N,R,Q, Franklin shuttle = BMT

If you travel on the system, check with the station agents for a copy of 'The Map'. They are free, but some stations seem to give theirs way quicker than other stations. Note, only major stations will have station agents. wf.

Status
Not open for further replies.