• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newcastle to Glasgow Retun via Edinburgh : can I stop in Edinburgh at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willie Bee

My wife and I are travelling from Newcastle to Glasgow and booked a through ticket on the LNER website. (booked on the day tickets were released, sadly they weren't available on the RailUk site)

Train times are given for the main LNER trip, but no details are provided for the Edinburgh to Glasgow journey. is there a time limit between trains ... would we, for example be able to grab some lunch in Edinburgh before heading to Glasgow.

Coming back, our LNER train leaves Edinburgh at about 1500, so we could maybe have a few hours in Edinburgh if we leave Glasgow early. Is this allowed ?

thanks !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trei2k

Can you share details of the ticket that you purchased? It sounds like you have an advance, but can you provide more details of the ticket? Then we can advise.

Willie Bee

Can you share details of the ticket that you purchased? It sounds like you have an advance, but can you provide more details of the ticket? Then we can advise.

Update .. on the tickets all times are shown .. the return journey is GLQ (15:15) to EDB (16:07), then EDB (16:30) to Newcastle

Having a few hours in Edinburgh would seem ideal if it's allowed.

Last edited:

UserM

View attachment 129947

Update .. on the tickets all times are shown .. the return journey is GLA (15:15) to EDI (16:07), then EDI (16:30) to Newcastle

Having a few hours in Edinburgh would seem ideal if it's allowed.
This will not be possible. This ticket is an advance single, thus you must take all trains that are listed on your itinerary.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
What would be possible is to pay the extra to change the ticket into a flexible one, which would be £10 plus the difference in fare for each ticket. How you do this depends on the site you used to book it.

Some sites also let you specify an Advance with a layover somewhere. Technically you're not meant to leave the station if you did manage that but nobody will stop you.

Willie Bee

What would be possible is to pay the extra to change the ticket into a flexible one, which would be £10 plus the difference in fare for each ticket. How you do this depends on the site you used to book it.

Some sites also let you specify an Advance with a layover somewhere. Technically you're not meant to leave the station if you did manage that but nobody will stop you.
Thanks .. we are staying in Edinburgh anyway in March, so the May stop off was just 'a maybe'

Checking on the Scotrail website, although the exact date does not yet have tickets available .. the same train exactly two weeks earlier would have been £18.40 total (for my wife and I) whereas our total fare from Glasgow to Newcastle is only costing us £19.50, just £1.10 more.

HughT

I'm booked on an equivalent itinerary next Tuesday (same trains, but continuing to Stevenage and then Cambridge). But in my case, the ticket doesn't specify the "connecting service" to be used at either end, and I've never seen that applied to this trip on the previous occasions I've made the journey. (Yes, it's specified in the booking confirmation, but that's a slightly different matter.) When was detailing connecting services on the travel ticket (when they don't have reservable or "counted" seats) introduced (it's only a couple of weeks since I bought mine, for example)? I've never seen it on any of my tickets. Just curious (and certainly not disagreeing with previous responses!).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm booked on an equivalent itinerary next Tuesday (same trains, but continuing to Stevenage and then Cambridge). But in my case, the ticket doesn't specify the "connecting service" to be used at either end, and I've never seen that applied to this trip on the previous occasions I've made the journey. (Yes, it's specified in the booking confirmation, but that's a slightly different matter.) When was detailing connecting services on the travel ticket (when they don't have reservable or "counted" seats) introduced (it's only a couple of weeks since I bought mine, for example)? I've never seen it on any of my tickets. Just curious (and certainly not disagreeing with previous responses!).

I think it'll just depend on which services ScotRail have counted places on. But no Advances allow break of journey, so while you might manage to argue "I went one hour early to make sure I made the connection" or "I was just following the booked trains, honest guv, no idea how that 3 hour gap got in" you would have trouble with "I went three hours early so I could...er...not break my journey, honest".

Some planners e.g. Trainsplit will spit out Advances with booked trains with a long layover if you want, though, and at Waverley you have to go out of the gateline to change trains anyway.

Willie Bee

Just as a matter of interest ... if the first train arrived late, leaving too short of time to reach the second train .. am I correct to say you would be able to take the next train (as long as there was space of course)

Travelling to Glasgow I have a 25-minute gap and on the return 23 minutes

mangyiscute

Established Member
Just as a matter of interest ... if the first train arrived late, leaving too short of time to reach the second train .. am I correct to say you would be able to take the next train (as long as there was space of course)

Travelling to Glasgow I have a 25-minute gap and on the return 23 minutes
Yes you'd be able to take the next train

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Of the same operator.
No, the next train that complies with the ticket's operator restriction. Which, if the OP has a ticket which includes an LNER or XC service from Edinburgh to Newcastle will be "LNER & connections" or "XC & connections" respectively - both of which allow the use of other operators.

route101

Established Member
I have used the Scotrail services between Glasgow and Edinburgh when on an Advance ticket a few times and often caught an earlier service from Queen St to avoid a short connection, not had anyone say its not allowed.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have used the Scotrail services between Glasgow and Edinburgh when on an Advance ticket a few times and often caught an earlier service from Queen St to avoid a short connection, not had anyone say its not allowed.
I advise anyone wishing to do this to not simply travel early but instead customise your itinerary by specifying additional interchange time.

The forum's site allows this ; choose advanced options, specify change at EDB as add additional time (which is added to the minimum connection time)

It depends on the reservation status of each train.

In future I strongly recommend customising the itinerary to suit your needs before purchasing. Taking the wrong trains can be risky and it's better to get the itinerary you want in the first place.

Create a new thread (and tag me in) if you need any help with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.