• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newcastle to Glasgow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryten2340

Can someone confirm that on the below ticket do I have to travel on the booked train on the Edinburgh to Glasgow Central leg or is any train to Glasgow fair game?

zfzAuXq.jpg

I'm staying near Charing Cross so I'm looking at travelling via Queen Street low level to Charing Cross if possible. I'm assuming the high level station is closed due to the redevelopment works.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Failed Unit

Established Member
Any train is fair game. Surprised you were given that as an option out of the 4 routes it is normally the slowest.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It'll depend what the ticket says. If the ticket is issues to Glasgow Cen/Qst then you should be ok. If it's issued to Glasgow Central then it won't be valid to Queen Street.

As far as I know it should be issued to Cen/Qst but strange things can happen with Advance fares.

It might be worth checking the price of through fares to Charing Cross Glasgow.

Established Member
The ticket should be fine via Bathgate but it's possible that it may be rejected in the barriers at Charing Cross, others may be able to advise on this.

Queen Street High Level is in full swing regardless of the development works. In general you're quicker going on the E&G shuttle via Falkirk and then changing at QS to get to Charing Cross, but if you're not in any hurry just take one of the comfy seats on a 334 and enjoy the trundle direct to your destination.

Failed Unit

Established Member
If you buy it direct to charring cross you will be charged the same fare. If you “override” they should charge you the single. (They rarely do as the price is the same).

The ticket won’t operate the barrier.

If you book direct you sometimes still get routed via Falkirk.

Silver Cobra

When I last bought a VTEC advance to Glasgow Central, it was issued to Glasgow Central/Queen Street (the itinerary given was to use a service via Falkirk High to Queen Street and walk to Central). As such, you should be fine travelling to Queen Street on those advance tickets.

BRFares confirms that the advances you've selected should be routed to Central/Queen Street:

http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=NCL&dest=GLC&grpd=0433&rte=430&tkt=BPS

Failed Unit

Established Member
Had an interesting view from a Scotrail gaurd once on the routing. I had two tickets and was traveling between Edinburgh and Glasgow. Edinburgh - Linlithgow and Linlithgow- Glasgow. Asked if I could travel via Bathgate (to bash the route) they took the view “what has the railway lost” I suspect you will have the same outcome with Scotrail. The only restrictions I can find are xc only - which clearly you are not using.

Status
Not open for further replies.