• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newport Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai.

Established Member
Hi guys -

I heard today Newport Station is open now or opening soon (as I don't live in or near Newport, I've not had time to go down and look).

Can anyone tell me if this true or not as I would like to see it!

Or has anyone been and can anyone shed any light on the new station?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Hi guys -

I heard today Newport Station is open now or opening soon (as I don't live in or near Newport, I've not had time to go down and look).

Can anyone tell me if this true or not as I would like to see it!

Or has anyone been and can anyone shed any light on the new station?

In all seriousness it never closed, only the bits that were being redeveloped by WAG for the golf.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Whilst context makes it clearer ((you being called Dai and location being Wales), it is a station that it is worth clarifying- there's another Newport, in Essex. National Rail lists them as:
Newport (Essex) NWE
Newport (South Wales) NWP

Dai.

Established Member
In all seriousness it never closed, only the bits that were being redeveloped by WAG for the golf.

I never said anything about the previous station closing - as far as I was aware the old station was closed yesterday (13th september) and the new one was opened, as I said I've not been down to look so I wanted to ask.

Whilst context makes it clearer ((you being called Dai and location being Wales), it is a station that it is worth clarifying- there's another Newport, in Essex. National Rail lists them as:
Newport (Essex) NWE
Newport (South Wales) NWP

As far as I am aware the Newport (Essex) station hasn't had a new building put up in the last year or so. In my mind it's common sense for people who were aware of the redevelopment to make the connection.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Is it a new station? I thought it was just an extra building and footbridge in association with the Ryder Cup!

Dai.

Established Member
Is it a new station? I thought it was just an extra building and footbridge in association with the Ryder Cup!

That's originally what I thought but I've been told that the old ticket office has been closed (as I say, I've not been down to check so I thought I'd ask)

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Its on teletext (Wales) the new station buildings opened yesterday, but the footbridge is still with the builders.

When I last passed through the platforms were the same.

Later. I had a look at NR and between 3.15p.m. and 4.15 p,m,. two up trains are using platform one.

Last edited:

mumrar

Established Member
I can confirm that the new footbridge IS NOT open at Newport as of today (15:00). It has been behind schedule and isn't ready.

However, infuriating as the railway can be in these matters, the stop boards on platform 1&2 have been moved up to account for the new bridge, which isn't open. This means that as it's an S board, all driving cabs pull up to it, and for 2 or 3 car units it results in a long walk for the customers to the 'old' bridge and booking hall.

On top of all this, at platform 2, where the line starts to curve, the gap between the stepboard of a 170 and the platform at the front door on the rear vehicle of a 3 car could fit a small horse down there. It is absolutely huge! Why wasn't it checked and rectified before moving the stop boards. It is crap like this that really gets me angry about the modern railway. You have about seven different companies involved in a project, and none of them can spot problems and get them sorted. Changes always happen as a result of incident/safety reports, and I believe a passenger took a visit down that gap yesterday, and consequently there are lots of people wearing hi-vis with tape measures and ****ty compact cameras all over platform 2.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
That's originally what I thought but I've been told that the old ticket office has been closed (as I say, I've not been down to check so I thought I'd ask)

That makes sense, it was looking a bit grotty when I passed through last Christmas!

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
I can confirm that the new footbridge IS NOT open at Newport as of today (15:00). It has been behind schedule and isn't ready.

However, infuriating as the railway can be in these matters, the stop boards on platform 1&2 have been moved up to account for the new bridge, which isn't open. This means that as it's an S board, all driving cabs pull up to it, and for 2 or 3 car units it results in a long walk for the customers to the 'old' bridge and booking hall.

On top of all this, at platform 2, where the line starts to curve, the gap between the stepboard of a 170 and the platform at the front door on the rear vehicle of a 3 car could fit a small horse down there. It is absolutely huge! Why wasn't it checked and rectified before moving the stop boards. It is crap like this that really gets me angry about the modern railway. You have about seven different companies involved in a project, and none of them can spot problems and get them sorted. Changes always happen as a result of incident/safety reports, and I believe a passenger took a visit down that gap yesterday, and consequently there are lots of people wearing hi-vis with tape measures and ****ty compact cameras all over platform 2.

because they didn't ask anyone who actually would have foreseen these issues ;)

Dai.

Established Member
That makes sense, it was looking a bit grotty when I passed through last Christmas!

The old one does look really old and unwelcoming, I used to be a regular user of it until I started to use Cardiff Central, it would be nice to see a new one with brand new stuff in!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
The old one does look really old and unwelcoming, I used to be a regular user of it until I started to use Cardiff Central, it would be nice to see a new one with brand new stuff in!

The new building sticks out like a crocodile at an alligator meeting though, I know there's a new bridge kind of thing in the city, but it looks out of place amongst the complete town centre and housing :D

Dai.

Established Member
The new building sticks out like a crocodile at an alligator meeting though, I know there's a new bridge kind of thing in the city, but it looks out of place amongst the complete town centre and housing :D

There are going to be many more developments around the areas though so it should fit in more in the grand scheme of things.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hello Hello!

Quick update - I took a trip to Newport station on Saturday, dropping someone off at the new one, it was all completely open when I was down there, the new station has ticketing facilities and is very big with ryder cup vinyls on the floor!

I don't think it'll matter to anyone, just thought I'd tell anyone who cared :D

mumrar

Established Member
I took a trip to Newport station on Saturday, dropping someone off at the new one, it was all completely open when I was down there

I worked through on Saturday and the notices and staff were still there to direct people as the new bridge wasn't open to platform 4. As HSTfan has said, I think they should actually finish it enough to open today. So that's one week late, and dangerously close to the event it's intended for. How many corners have been cut, who knows?

dk1

Veteran Member
Was on big building site last friday with lots of 'jobs to do'. Looked ok though to me.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
On Staurday I went through on the Western Wales Explorer railtour, looked quite nice, is the bit on p4 the main enterance?

Dai.

Established Member
I worked through on Saturday and the notices and staff were still there to direct people as the new bridge wasn't open to platform 4. As HSTfan has said, I think they should actually finish it enough to open today. So that's one week late, and dangerously close to the event it's intended for. How many corners have been cut, who knows?

That's weird there was nothing blocking Platform 4 off on Saturday and you could walk all the way through :s

And Matt there are two entrances P1 and P4. :]

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
4's the new opened platform on the north end of the statoion, opened about 3/4 years back :D

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Yes, the platforms are numbered 1-4 from the south to the north. The island platforms are 2 and 3.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think I read in a magazine a while back that when the South Wales resignalling is complete P3 and P4 will be the normal main line platforms. Don't know what the timescales are though...

Nevasleep

If anyone is wondering, there is a WHSmiths in the new building.
It's on the car park/platform 4 side.

Unfortunately Upper Crust is now a bit out of the way. I was hoping for it to be on top of the footbridge, Bristol Parkway style.

Status
Not open for further replies.