• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nickel-plated steel 5p and 10p coins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagle

Established Member
So, 20 years after coppers stopped being made of copper, now the next tier of coins has switched over to cheap steel. (In fact, they're now nickel-plated steel, copper free, rather than the 3:1 cupronickel that they were made of.) At current rates, the cupronickel in a 5p coin costs 3.1p, and in a 10p coin double that. The new steel coins cost about 0.2p.

I wonder how long before all coins go the same way, because although there's no way in hell the material costs will ever approach the face value of the higher coins, it'll still represent a hell of a saving to the Mint to make them this way.

I only mention it because I had about four steel 5p and 10p coins in my wallet and a vending machine rejected them all, either because they're the wrong thickness or they're ferromagnetic.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trog

Established Member
If you want a quick way to increase the value of the coins in your pocket. Try drilling a hole in the middle of them and turn them into the more valuable washers.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Are coins expected to now have any significant correlation to the value that is expressed on coins.....or is this now just a symbolic representation ? I remember silver coinage of the pre-1947 vintage being said to be worth significantly more in terms the metallic content they possessed in the value of those coins.

You make a very good point indeed when you referred to machine rejection of this newer coinage, as this point will now gradually became more and more significant over the passage of time. I wonder if discussions have been held by the Royal Mint and those manufacturers of coin-input machinery that is installed in many machines these days.

NLC1072

So, 20 years after coppers stopped being made of copper, now the next tier of coins has switched over to cheap steel. (In fact, they're now nickel-plated steel, copper free, rather than the 3:1 cupronickel that they were made of.) At current rates, the cupronickel in a 5p coin costs 3.1p, and in a 10p coin double that. The new steel coins cost about 0.2p.

I wonder how long before all coins go the same way, because although there's no way in hell the material costs will ever approach the face value of the higher coins, it'll still represent a hell of a saving to the Mint to make them this way.

I only mention it because I had about four steel 5p and 10p coins in my wallet and a vending machine rejected them all, either because they're the wrong thickness or they're ferromagnetic.

If it was an S & B machine, this is because S & B have yet to upgrade most to accept them!

NLC1072

Tibbs

I was wondering why the vending machine at work kept rejecting the shiny new 5p coins.

Ah well, I need to lose weight anyway!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
No, because there's no reason why they should any more. Coins are intrinsically valuable by virtue of being coins, not because of what's in them.

You have now answered the part of my posting that you have omitted in the other part of my posting that you quoted above which went on to say.....or is this just now a symbolic representation ?

It is always better to make quotes in full, as it appeared that I was not comprehending the query, when in fact I was asking two sides of a question.

GB

Established Member
Incorrect, hence why tourist attractions have machines that turn 1p into commemorative medal things.

The act was repealed in it's entirety by the Forgery and Counterfeiting Act of 1981

Is it not against some law to deface the queens image or is that a myth?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is it not against some law to deface the queens image or is that a myth?

I think at one time it was illegal but no longer. However two things a) If it were illegal someone better tell those touristy places with the coin machines and b) find me a police officer who'd be willing to charge someone for it even if it was!:lol:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Did a punk band once have a defaced picture of the Queen on an album cover ?

I believe there was, it looked something like this I think:

Sex_Pistols_-_God_Save_the_Queen.jpg

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.