• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No bus way conversion for the Watford - St Albans branch line

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
http://www.hertsad.co.uk/news/st_al..._rails_after_busways_plan_abandoned_1_4315594
Earlier this year in its draft rail strategy, the county council proposed taking up the rails on the Abbey Flyer line between St Albans and Watford and replace them with two parallel concrete busways.

The Bus Rapid Transport (BRT) scheme was mooted because the county council was concerned about poor usage of the line, the lack of through services and the poor service frequency.

It was met by over 200 objections with ABFLY - the Abbey Flyer Users’ Group - launching a No2Bus campaign and reiterating long-time calls for an increase in the service frequency by installing a ‘passing loop’ to allow two trains to operate on the line.

They also promoted the possibility of through trains to London at Watford.

ABFLY has now learned that the county council has dropped the BRT scheme and started to work with Network Rail to improve the existing line.
Common sense prevails ....

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSEFAN

Established Member
I'm impressed that the picture is appropriate and the caption actually describes the train correctly!

D365

Veteran Member
Well, until the next report takes place.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
The picture may be appropriate but the text goes very slightly off the rails later on...

HertsAdvertiser said:
He will shortly be laying out to the department what his constituents would like to see change on the Abbey Line including a commitment to the installation of a passing loop so that more than one train can run each hour.

Well, I know what it means, but - to be pedantic - there's already more than one train per hour.

Still, very good news on the wider picture. Not sure how realistic through trains to London is though, given you'd have to contend with a flat crossing at Watford Junction, and - are there any spare paths at Euston?

AM9

Veteran Member
I'm impressed that the picture is appropriate and the caption actually describes the train correctly!

Well actually, at the moment it should be a 319 or a sign pointing passengers to the substitute bus service. :)

jon0844

Veteran Member
Well, it's a 319 now if we want to be really pedantic!

And it should have been easy enough to get a photo because they don't seem to move much.

Status
Not open for further replies.