• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No Direct train to Manchester Piccadilly on Weekends for the foreseeable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrenJ1986

I sometimes go on this train on a weekend from Leeds but haven’t been able to for a couple of years

Any reason why there are no direct trains from Leeds to Picadilly on a weekend?

I can go direct to Manchester Victoria instead but it’s a bit of an inconvenience

Thanks all

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rail Ranger

There are some direct trains showing for Sunday 27th August. Of course there are RMT strikes on Saturday 26th August and Saturday 2nd September.

DarrenJ1986

I should have mentioned this trip is for a few weeks time (not strikes)
There are some direct trains showing for Sunday 27th August. Of course there are RMT strikes on Saturday 26th August and Saturday 2nd September.

TRU works on most Sundays for the foreseeable, might have something to do with it as well.
This trip is for a Saturday in a few weeks

jonesy3001

Established Member
I should have mentioned this trip is for a few weeks time (not strikes)

This trip is for a Saturday in a few weeks
Best off getting the northern train to victoria then tram to piccadilly.
The trains that only go to victoria only stop at a few stations on the way, compared to the chester trains.

coxxy

As everyone else is saying, diversions in place between Leeds and Manchester. Quite why they cant run a service to the airport, calling at Ox road and Man Picc.. who knows...

jonesy3001

Established Member
As everyone else is saying, diversions in place between Leeds and Manchester. Quite why they cant run a service to the airport, calling at Ox road and Man Picc.. who knows...
The airport line is closed at the weekends to do platform extensions on the line.

3RDGEN

The Saltburn services run in their normal path east of Dewsbury so arrive/depart Vic 15 minutes later/earlier so will have lost their path to the Airport. Cutting the Airport trip out and a tight turnround at Vic regains that time, saves a set and probably reduces the traincrew requirement.

stibz

dunc695

A few years ago TPE would've operated the Scottish services to/from Manchester Victoria.

There did used to be a TPE Sunday lunchtime through train from Victoria to Edinburgh, possibly for route retention. I'm not sure if it still runs?

ayubdaud

There did used to be a TPE Sunday lunchtime through train from Victoria to Edinburgh, possibly for route retention. I'm not sure if it still runs?
I think that was possibly due to the Sunday two-track around Piccadilly - so couldn't easily get to Manchester Airport. Was standardised back to Airport for Dec '22 although probably doesn't run at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.