• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No fast Azuma Edinburgh to LONDON during the weekends after Sun 12 Sep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martijn

Hello all,

I've been waiting for a while to book a train from Edinburgh to London on Sunday 19 September, but it seems that after Sunday 12 September, there are no fast (4h20-4h40) LNER Azuma trains scheduled during the weekends anymore.
On weekdays, on the other hand, they're on the timetable until well into October.

Am I missing some information about a change of weekend schedule from 12 September onwards?
Or should I still expect these Azumas to become available soon? It's less than five weeks away…

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Engineering work with services diverted via Tyne Valley and Carlisle.

Happens every year, for several Weekends in a row, usually September/October.

All information which is shown on the LNER website if looking under "Timetable Changes'.

jfisher21

The quickest trains from Edinburgh - London on those weekends are the avanti ones to Euston. Can change at Crewe for a journey time of just over 5 hours.

DanNCL

Established Member
I'd definitely recomend avoiding LNER for Edinburgh - London on weekends they're diverting via Carlisle. The diversion via Carlisle removes the only advantage LNER still has over Avanti on that route - journey time.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hello all,

I've been waiting for a while to book a train from Edinburgh to London on Sunday 19 September, but it seems that after Sunday 12 September, there are no fast (4h20-4h40) LNER Azuma trains scheduled during the weekends anymore.
On weekdays, on the other hand, they're on the timetable until well into October.

Am I missing some information about a change of weekend schedule from 12 September onwards?
Or should I still expect these Azumas to become available soon? It's less than five weeks away…
What time do you want to travel? Are you price or time sensitive?

Looking at Trainsplit, it can be done for under £50.

It may be a good opportunity to take a different route than usual, such as the Tyne Valley Line or the Settle Carlisle line, which are quite scenic, especially the latter.

Martijn

Thanks for the answers, I better not wait any longer and start looking for an alternative (route) then…

@yorkie I was planning to leave in the morning, so I still have some time in London, before I catch the (unfortunately early) Eurostar to Brussels the next day. Fingers crossed Eurostar will reinstate the evening connection before I travel, so I at least have some time on Monday!

dk1

Veteran Member
I'd definitely recomend avoiding LNER for Edinburgh - London on weekends they're diverting via Carlisle. The diversion via Carlisle removes the only advantage LNER still has over Avanti on that route - journey time.
Nice ride round though if time isn’t an issue.

Falcon1200

Established Member
The quickest trains from Edinburgh - London on those weekends are the avanti ones to Euston. Can change at Crewe for a journey time of just over 5 hours.

Alternatively, if you have to get a train to Edinburgh anyway to connect into LNER, go to Glasgow instead and Avanti direct from Central; Assuming there are Scotrail services on Sundays by then of course.

najaB

Veteran Member
I'd definitely recomend avoiding LNER for Edinburgh - London on weekends they're diverting via Carlisle.
On the other hand, unless you need to be there in a hurry I would recommend doing it specifically for the novelty factor. :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Looking at Trainsplit, in value mode it is finding the cheapest option to be Avanti as far as Crewe and West Midlands Trains onwards.

The next most affordable option is actually LNER all the way through.
Alternatively, if you have to get a train to Edinburgh anyway to connect into LNER, go to Glasgow instead and Avanti direct from Central; Assuming there are Scotrail services on Sundays by then of course.
Trainsplit does find some options involving this routeing but it's not the best value.

Martijn

Not really in a hurry—I'll just spend some more time in London another time (although I will actually be needing a passport by then…)—so I went for the 6h24 scenic route in an Azuma 9-coach train…

I just hope, by then they'll have started serving the Dish menu as well!

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member

Falcon1200

Established Member
ISTR that there's work being done on the Calton Tunnels, but might be misremembering.

Sorry, I think you are misremembering ! The Calton Tunnels are to the east of Waverley so the train mentioned still passes through them, perhaps it is work on the Mound and/or Haymarket Tunnels, both to the west of Waverley.

najaB

Veteran Member
Sorry, I think you are misremembering ! The Calton Tunnels are to the east of Waverley so the train mentioned still passes through them, perhaps it is work on the Mound and/or Haymarket Tunnels, both to the west of Waverley.
D'oh! Yes, that was a pretty silly mistake to make. I'll be in the back of the class doing my lines.

jfisher21

I guess the Inverness and Aberdeen trains go that way so they don't have to reverse.

DanNCL

Established Member
I guess the Inverness and Aberdeen trains go that way so they don't have to reverse.
That would then put the sets the wrong way round at Aberdeen and Inverness, unless the High Level Bridge is also being used therefore eliminating the Newcastle reversal too.

Status
Not open for further replies.