• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No more freight on the Chase line after the summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Rugeley power station is to close in the summer, means no more freight along there until the Cannock intermodal terminal gets off the ground.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MK Tom

Established Member
When does work start on the electrification of this line? I traveled it on new year's day and was surprised to see no evidence, having thought it was underway.

The Planner

Veteran Member
It is underway, most of the work has been done on structures to get clearance, most specifically at Walsall station recently.

Class 170101

Established Member
Rugeley power station is to close in the summer, means no more freight along there until the Cannock intermodal terminal gets off the ground.

Is the line not being made W10 / W12 as part of OLE works?

Diversionary route for freight between Rugeley and Rugby?

Johnuk123

Established Member

If that terminal ever gets built it will be in a very long time.

furnessvale

Established Member
If indeed it does get off the ground. I remain very sceptical of any such proposals being served by rail freight.

Cannock is different. The depot is already there and currently served by road.

Therefore there is no incentive to massage the figures to get planning permission.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Is the line not being made W10 / W12 as part of OLE works?

Diversionary route for freight between Rugeley and Rugby?

Possibly, though it is doubtful that the passenger operators would allow a Trent Valley and Bushbury Stafford block at the same time even when the OLE is up.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I think its already closed.

Indeed, end of last year.

Class 170101

Established Member
Possibly, though it is doubtful that the passenger operators would allow a Trent Valley and Bushbury Stafford block at the same time even when the OLE is up.

Maybe not, however mother nature may not be so consulting or indeed so forgiving, so better to have diversionary routes available - the more the better.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Regarding the electrification of Walsall - Rugeley TV, I remember aspirations by West Midlands PTE to also electrify the Midland Railway route through Sutton Park.

This would enable a frequency of every 10 minutes along the common section of route between Birmingham NS and Walsall, with a train every 30 minutes to Rugeley TV, every 30 minutes to Aldridge, and every 30 minutes to Wolverhampton in combination with a re-opened Willenhall (Staffordshire) station. Furthermore, I believe that the Birmingham-Walsall-Wolverhampton would be a triangular service, running via Tipton and vice-versa.

Has anybody heard anymore on these proposals/aspirations recently, as it seems to have gone quiet?

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Has anybody heard anymore on these proposals/aspirations recently, as it seems to have gone quiet?

It will appear in the Electrification RUS refresh (which is now 3 years late) which will need to be put together in some form for the CP6 determination with ORR and DfT.

The Planner

Veteran Member
You might get Aldridge one day that is about it. Sutton Park will only get wired as infill, I can't see it washing its face even if you had Derby Birmingham and Water Orton Nuneaton done as it only benefits freight. I would be surprised if it even gets mentioned in the upcoming West Mids and Chilterns route study.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Too many, too quickly.

I can see tears before bedtime if the country has a really bad winter in the next five years or so!

On Look North yesterday it was announced that one of the Yorkshire power stations (can't remember if it was Drax or Gascoigne Wood) which was due to close in the coming weeks has been given a temporary reprieve of 12 months as it is set to act as a backup for next winter.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
On Look North yesterday it was announced that one of the Yorkshire power stations (can't remember if it was Drax or Gascoigne Wood) which was due to close in the coming weeks has been given a temporary reprieve of 12 months as it is set to act as a backup for next winter.

Well it won't have been Drax. That will probably be the last coal fired power station to go.

Legzr1

Eggborough.

deltic08

On Moderation
Well it won't have been Drax. That will probably be the last coal fired power station to go.

Ferrybridge C appeared to be still operating tonight as I came by. Must be Ferrybridge B that has just closed.

New railway infrastructure has only recently been added adjacent to the A1M. I assumed this was for biomass conversion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.