• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No more Nectar points from SWR website (from 1st May)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Received an email this afternoon saying that the collection of Nectar points from the SWR website will end at the end of the month. The first of the First group operators to step back from Nectar, so will TPE/GWR follow suit?

Might catch anybody out who uses the Webtis Mixing Desk. Certainly I won't be using that website anymore, I know the nectar points are only a small percentage back but they soon add up

Why is SWR leaving the Nectar Scheme?​

SWR is leaving the Nectar scheme after four years as a collection partner. We have taken this decision as we adapt to the impact of COVID-19 on the railway and focus our efforts on running an efficient service that delivers great value to our customers every day.

When will the collection of Nectar points end?​

The collection of Nectar points will end on 30 April 2021, after which you will no longer be able to collect Nectar points on your purchases through SWR.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

STINT47

"We have taken this decision as we adapt to the impact of COVID-19 on the railway and focus our efforts on running an efficient service that delivers great value to our customers every day"

Why does every company these days use Covid as an excuse for unpopular decisions? If really annoying.

I cannot understand how not issuing Nectar points will make the trains more efficient or help with covid 19.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Well, the good news is there are still plenty of other websites that allow you to collect Nectar points. I’m surprised SWR have made this decision considering how popular cashback websites are these days. Nectar points were the only incentive to use the SWR site over others.

Transpennine Express and Chiltern are clearly having no issues running reliable and efficient trains while still allowing cashback and/or Nectar points to be collected on ticket purchases.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Well, the good news is there are still plenty of other websites that allow you to collect Nectar points. I’m surprised SWR have made this decision considering how popular cashback websites are these days. Nectar points were the only incentive to use the SWR site over others.

Transpennine Express and Chiltern are clearly having no issues running reliable and efficient trains while still allowing cashback and/or Nectar points to be collected on ticket purchases.
I wouldn't rely on TPE if another First Group TOC has withdrawn from the scheme.

James H

Transport for Wales now offering 1% on TopCashback so it looks like that will become my new default website for ticket purchases.

westv

Established Member
The first of the First group operators to step back from Nectar, so will TPE/GWR follow suit?
Hull Trains are FG owned. They dropped Nectar a few years ago and didn't even bother to publicise they were going to.

35B

Established Member

Have SWR made the decision, or have DfT turned around and told them to stop offering that discount? Covid may be an excuse, but it's also created a damn big hole in TOC finances - and SWR's were pretty shot anyway.

As for timing, it would be interesting to know what break clauses there are in the SWR agreement with Nectar - I strongly suspect the timing is dictated by that.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Covid may be an excuse, but it's also created a damn big hole in TOC finances - and SWR's were pretty shot anyway.

As for timing, it would be interesting to know what break clauses there are in the SWR agreement with Nectar - I strongly suspect the timing is dictated by that.
I suspect that you have hit the nail on the head - it's making no significant benefit to SWR's finances, and it's probably rolled round to contract renewal time.

Kite159

Veteran Member
"We have taken this decision as we adapt to the impact of COVID-19 on the railway and focus our efforts on running an efficient service that delivers great value to our customers every day"

Why does every company these days use Covid as an excuse for unpopular decisions? If really annoying.

I cannot understand how not issuing Nectar points will make the trains more efficient or help with covid 19.

My guess is the DFT have told them to move away from giving away ~ 0.5% 'cashback' [if I've worked that percentage out] as they would rather that small percentage remains within the TOC. Might be a small percentage but it will soon add up with people buying tickets.

lkpridgeon

Verified Rep - FastJP
To be fair I forgot I even had nectar connected to my account and I wouldn't be surprised if many others have too. So I don't think it's too much a loss. However it does seem like the overall package they offer is diminishing overall as this is on top of the loss of schrodinger's catering too. I expect other niceties (if there are any left) will also disappear in short order.

Established Member
To be fair I forgot I even had nectar connected to my account and I wouldn't be surprised if many others have too. So I don't think it's too much a loss. However it does seem like the overall package they offer is diminishing overall as this is on top of the loss of schrodinger's catering too. I expect other niceties (if there are any left) will also disappear in short order.
Don't give them ideas! They'll deactivate the wifi and turn off the plug sockets next.

In all seriousness, Metrolink removed the onboard wifi last year and I don't think it's back on yet. (https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...link-free-wifi-coronavirus-suspended-18486800) Most Stagecoach buses have also had the wifi turned off. No idea about the USBs though.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Don't give them ideas! They'll deactivate the wifi and turn off the plug sockets next.

In all seriousness, Metrolink removed the onboard wifi last year and I don't think it's back on yet. (https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...link-free-wifi-coronavirus-suspended-18486800) Most Stagecoach buses have also had the wifi turned off. No idea about the USBs though.

I heard that the WiFi is gone now on Metrolink, won't be coming back as the contract has been terminated.

Although wouldn't surprise me if on some trains you will have to sit through adverts before getting access to the WiFi sign in page in a way to generate revenue

Journeyman

Established Member
American Express are offering 5% cashback via the LNER website at the moment. You have to sign up via the Amex app to get the offer, but you can use it as many times as you like.

I heard that the WiFi is gone now on Metrolink, won't be coming back as the contract has been terminated.

Although wouldn't surprise me if on some trains you will have to sit through adverts before getting access to the WiFi sign in page in a way to generate revenue
I suspect WiFi is going to get increasingly rare in future, as data plans get cheaper and faster. The Swiss decided ages ago there was no point in providing WiFi on trains because the 4G network was good enough, and they couldn't justify the expense. It didn't attract enough people to the railway to provide a financial benefit.

Last edited:

RJ

Established Member
One way to get some Nectar points is to get a HSBC World Elite MasterCard or a Capital on Tap Visa card, earn Avios and convert to Nectar. If eligible you can use them to generate up to £400 worth of Nectar points a month.

The American Express Nectar, Membership Rewards or British Airways cards also allow you to earn points. They are easier to get but harder to generate the points with.

Status
Not open for further replies.