• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[NO] Norske tog orders new long distance trains from Stadler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonasB

Norske tog, the state owned Norwegian train leasing company will announce their new long distance trains tomorrow. So far not much is known, but in the tender they specified that they wanted the same trains to be able to be used as both day trains and night trains.

Update: Norske tog has decided to order 17 new long distance trains from Stadler. The trains will 8-car Flirts, 4 bi-modes and the rest fully electric and will feature a mix of seats and sleeping cabins, as well as a bistro and a play area for children. Total capacity will be 542 passengers per train. There are also options for Norske tog to buy up to 100 new long distance trains.

A few images can be seen here: https://www.norsketog.no/nyheter/2023/stadler-skal-levere-norges-nye-fjerntog

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andersj

Stadler won the tender.

6ce1c203-81a5-4572-aa61-435741419bd0-w_960.jpg

superalbs

Established Member
A few photos of the Stadler FLIRTNEX they've ordered can be found here:
Google Translate:
Ensures the travel experience of the future with increased comfort, flexibility, and choice. Today, Norske tog awarded a contract to Stadler for the purchase of 17 long-distance trains. With options, up to 100 new trains can be purchased.

This is a day of celebration. In Norway, we have some of the world's most spectacular train journeys. With new long-distance trains from 2027, everything is in place to take the experience, comfort and quality for travelers to a whole new level, says Øystein Risan, managing director of Norske tog AS.

Norske tog is the state's purchaser and manager of trains, and leases trains to the train companies.

The trains will go into production in 2024, and will arrive in Norway for testing in 2025. The first trains will be put into service on the Bergen line from 2026, where they will replace trains that are nearing the end of their service life. The contract for the purchase of 17 long-distance trains has a cost frame of NOK 8 billion.

Stadler won the competition for new long-distance trains after an overall assessment of cost and quality. Stadler is one of Europe's leading suppliers of trains with headquarters in Switzerland. Stadler has recently delivered 150 FLIRT trains to Norway.

The new FLIRTNEX train type will have sunbeds, flexible sleeping compartments, a bistro, family offers and plenty of luggage space. These are some of the facilities travelers can look forward to, and which will help make trains the most attractive mode of travel in Norway. The train should not only be a transport leg, but also an experience and a place where you like to be, says project manager at Norske tog, Sille Svenkerud Førner.

The new long-distance trains will have a top speed of 200 km/h. Each train set will consist of eight carriages with a total capacity of up to 542 seats per train. Trains are purchased for both electrified and non-electrified sections.

The new trains will be more flexible in terms of space, comfort, and usability. There will be a wider sleeping offer with both deckchairs, 2-bed cabins, and 4-bed cabins. During the day, the sleeping compartments will be able to be converted into closed sitting areas for both families and business travellers, and the deckchairs will be usable around the clock, says Risan.

A design process is now starting where Norske tog, together with the supplier, will make the final adaptations and adjustments before the trains are put into production. In this phase, the train operators and other stakeholders will also be involved.

Restaurant, sleeper, and seating, all in one unit - pretty interesting stuff, and it looks decent too!

jamesontheroad

Established Member
VR: all our intercity trains have colourful play areas.

Norske Tog: hold my (Norse horn brimmed full of) beer.

Attachments

• DA9199B4-A8A4-40A0-8A83-D4A7DE146CD3.png
    DA9199B4-A8A4-40A0-8A83-D4A7DE146CD3.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 89

dgl

Established Member
Stadler really are becoming a big league player, oh and can the seat in the ship be reserved :lol:

Gloster

Established Member
It appears that the sleeping compartments can be converted to seating ones for daytime use. So they are basically the same as a couchette.

Veteran Member
It appears that the sleeping compartments can be converted to seating ones for daytime use. So they are basically the same as a couchette.
Or a sleeping car without the washbasin?

I think the difference here is the idea of using the same stock to work a day train and then a night train - Norwegian routes aren't long enough to convert from day to night mode en route (unless they start through working Oslo-Bødo).

Edit: correction.

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
I think the difference here is the idea of using the same stock to work a day train and then a night train - Norwegian routes aren't long enough to convert from day to night mode en route (unless they start through working Oslo-Bødo).

Which would require electrification through to Bodø, but the line is pretty well at the end of the queue.

JonasB

Restaurant, sleeper, and seating, all in one unit - pretty interesting stuff, and it looks decent too!

Very interesting. First multiple unit sleepers in Europe?

Or a sleeping car without the washbasin?

With a washbasin if the images are to be trusted.
6471e67c-b209-4ba2-a9ee-8c48cbfa85db.jpg

SJ has mentioned that they are interested in running direct trains Oslo-Bodø and v.v.

Which would require electrification through to Bodø, but the line is pretty well at the end of the queue.
No, four of the trains will be bi mode, and there is an option to order more.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
By my count, there are already something like sixteen reasons that these are the most interesting multiple units anywhere in Europe.

The compartments don’t appear to be comparable to couchettes in terms of capacity - based purely on the renderings they seem to be 2 person (or maximum 3?) occupancy. So in the daytime they’re an attractive premium option for a couple who wants to travel in private, and in the nighttime they’re a sleeper.

Gloster

Established Member
No, four of the trains will be bi mode, and there is an option to order more.
Unless I've read it wrong these will have diesel power modules, they aren't just EMUs.

So they are. There is not much call for bi-mode sleepers, other than the Bodø line, part of which is, I think being electrified. There is only the possibility of reintroducing sleepers to Åndalsnes and to the Røros line.

JonasB

By my count, there are already something like sixteen reasons that these are the most interesting multiple units anywhere in Europe.

The compartments don’t appear to be comparable to couchettes in terms of capacity - based purely on the renderings they seem to be 2 person (or maximum 3?) occupancy. So in the daytime they’re an attractive premium option for a couple who wants to travel in private, and in the nighttime they’re a sleeper.

They certainly look very interesting! When the tender was announced the illustrations showed both 2-bed and 4-bed sleeper compartments, so hopefully that will be an option.

So they are. There is not much call for bi-mode sleepers, other than the Bodø line, part of which is, I think being electrified. There is only the possibility of reintroducing sleepers to Åndalsnes and to the Røros line.
The ones ordered are for the Trondheim-Bodø trains, making it possible to retire the Di4s. Not sure if four trains are enough to also use them on other lines.

Presumably subsequent batches of the '100 train' order will not be in this configuration - the dual capability would be a bit excessive for exclusively day services. I guess the priority is to get rid of the life-expired sleeper stock and the troublesome Cl 73 EMUs first.

JonasB

Presumably subsequent batches of the '100 train' order will not be in this configuration - the dual capability would be a bit excessive for exclusively day services. I guess the priority is to get rid of the life-expired sleeper stock and the troublesome Cl 73 EMUs first.

Presumably they will. Norske tog has stated that they are looking for a standardized fleet of long distance trains that can be used both night and day.

Gloster

Established Member
One interesting little point is that based on the top photo in the press release, admittedly rather small, the bodies seem to have a profile based on the Type 7 coaches, rather than a standard one. Is this so they can use the slightly larger Norwegian loading-gauge/dynamic envelope to the full? It would presumably add to the cost.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
One interesting little point is that based on the top photo in the press release, admittedly rather small, the bodies seem to have a profile based on the Type 7 coaches, rather than a standard one. Is this so they can use the slightly larger Norwegian loading-gauge/dynamic envelope to the full? It would presumably add to the cost.

Stadler will do you any profile you want.

stuu

Established Member
Stadler have already built lots of FLIRTs for Norway, which are a similar size to other Norwegian stock

Very interesting. First multiple unit sleepers in Europe?
Quite possibly the first multiple unit sleepers, but not the first self-propelled sleeper train, which I think was DB's VT 10 551 (which operated the Komet between Hamburg and Basel/Zürich from 1954 to 1960:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DB_Class_VT_10.5
http://www.dbtrains.com/en/trainsets/epochIII/VT10.5
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/DB-Baureihe_VT_10.5

(I'm guessing that the VT10.5s couldn't actually work in multiple, given there were only two of them, one configured for day service and the other night, and they were built by different firms - LHB and Wegmann respectively. However, photos do seem to show couplers on the outer ends, so I could be wrong about this - in which case, obviously, VT10 551 would be a genuine multiple unit sleeper.)

Austriantrain

Established Member
Quite possibly the first multiple unit sleepers, but not the first self-propelled sleeper train, which I think was DB's VT 10 551 (which operated the Komet between Hamburg and Basel/Zürich from 1954 to 1960:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DB_Class_VT_10.5
http://www.dbtrains.com/en/trainsets/epochIII/VT10.5
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/DB-Baureihe_VT_10.5

(I'm guessing that the VT10.5s couldn't actually work in multiple, given there were only two of them, one configured for day service and the other night, and they were built by different firms - LHB and Wegmann respectively. However, photos do seem to show couplers on the outer ends, so I could be wrong about this - in which case, obviously, VT10 551 would be a genuine multiple unit sleeper.)

They might have run coupled-up, but not technically in multiple mode (i.e. two drivers, which used to be common in many countries).

JonasB

The current Norwegian Flirts are 3200 mm wide, so the new ones will probably have the same width.

Thanks! I wasn't aware of them.

A British loading-gauge version would be ideal for the 'Night Riviera' - and a replacement for some of the terrible '80X' units. The Viking longship would have to go though.

XAM2175

Established Member
I'm quite honestly very thrilled to see that configuration used - and with decently-sized windows too. It's my favourite by far.

Austriantrain

Established Member

They certainly are and using the same sets for day and night traffic certainly comes a long way to avoid one major drawback of night services, mainly that stock is only used for one service a day.

However, that only works on journeys up to approx 10 hours, otherwise (and including time for cleaning and servicing) the set won’t be back in time for the next day‘s night service. And many night journeys in Continental Europe are much longer than 10 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.