• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No trains Edinburgh to Queen Street from 29th Jan to 1st Feb ?

john77

I am trying to buy tickets from Alnmouth to Milngavie on 30 January. When I checked yesterday it gave me a route from Waverley to Queen Street, changing there to the Low Level. When I checked today the only route is via the Shotts line to Central. I checked RTT and there's no trains showing to Queen Street from the 29th Jan to 1st Feb. There's nothing about engineering work or strikes on the Scotrail website. it just a glitch ? I have checked LNER, Scotrail and Trainline and they're all showing the same route via Shotts.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Getting some strange journey itineraries. For what should normally be a fairly straightforward morning journey from Linlithgow into Edinburgh Waverley on 29JAN2024, the Scotrail suggested itinerary currently is to take a Scotrail train in the wrong direction to Falkirk High, then to walk down the hill to Falkirk Grahamston, and then to get an LNER rail replacement bus from there into Edinburgh. Overall journey time around two hours!

Presume the issue is that Scotrail haven't yet confirmed their own RRB schedules for the period in question.

john77

Getting some strange journey itineraries. For what should normally be a fairly straightforward morning journey from Linlithgow into Edinburgh Waverley on 29JAN2024, the Scotrail suggested itinerary currently is to take a Scotrail train in the wrong direction to Falkirk High, then to walk down the hill to Falkirk Grahamston, and then to get an LNER rail replacement bus from there into Edinburgh. Overall journey time around two hours!

Presume the issue is that Scotrail haven't yet confirmed their own RRB schedules for the period in question.
Yes, but the strange thing is that when I checked yesterday, everything appeared to be running as normal on the 30th. There's nothing in their engineering works calendar or twitter feed for that period.

Monday to Thursday sees the line closed between Edinburgh Park and Newbridge Junction due to earthworks stabilisation.
No services on E&G or A-B through the area as a consequence. Buses Linlithgow/Bathgate-Edinburgh.
Shotts or the limited Carstairs are your only rail routes between the two.

john77

Monday to Thursday sees the line closed between Edinburgh Park and Newbridge Junction due to earthworks stabilisation.
No services on E&G or A-B through the area as a consequence. Buses Linlithgow/Bathgate-Edinburgh.
Thanks for the information, that explains why there's no trains but there's still nothing about it on any of Scotrail's communication channels and it seems strange the situation changed overnight on Monday.

SargeNpton

Established Member
Late notice engineering works, for which the alternative passenger arrangements are still being finalised. Try a journey enquiry again at the end of the week.

Kite159

Veteran Member
You will hope ScotRail will increase the length of the trains via Shotts (and also the limited service via Carstairs) to deal with the extra passengers from Edinburgh to Glasgow who would rather have a train compared to messing around with replacement buses

Last edited:
You will hold ScotRail will increase the length of the trains via Shotts (and also the limited service via Carstairs) to deal with the extra passengers from Edinburgh to Glasgow who would rather have a train compared to messing around with replacement buses

Hopefully, however, E&G typically uses 4-car units (in multiple) whilst the Shotts is limited to 6-car maximum.

Porty

The Scotrail website now has the engineering works listed and the alternative routing E-G is tram to Edinburgh Park, bus to Linlithgow, then train to Glasgow. There are other implications as services to Inverness are diverted via Fife with some consequential cancellations.

Sorry can't seem to find how to link the webpage.

trei2k

The Scotrail website now has the engineering works listed and the alternative routing E-G is tram to Edinburgh Park, bus to Linlithgow, then train to Glasgow. There are other implications as services to Inverness are diverted via Fife with some consequential cancellations.

Sorry can't seem to find how to link the webpage.

Details:

Major engineering work in the Edinburgh Park area from Monday 29 January to Thursday 1 February​

Routes Affected​

Between Edinburgh and Glasgow Queen Street via Falkirk High / Dunblane / Inverness

Validity Period​

Monday, 29 January 2024 to Thursday, 1 February 2024
Engineering work is taking place in the Edinburgh Park area, closing some lines.

Edinburgh to Glasgow Queen Street via Falkirk High services: Train services operate between Linlithgow and Glasgow Queen Street. You should use tram service (supplemented by replacement buses where required) between Edinburgh and Edinburgh Park, buses replace trains between Edinburgh Park and Linlithgow.

Edinburgh to Dunblane services: Train services operate between Falkirk Grahamston and Dunblane. Buses replace trains between Edinburgh and Falkirk Grahamston, calling at Haymarket, Edinburgh Park, Linlithgow and Polmont. Edinburgh to Inverness services (via Stirling) services: Trains are diverted to run via Fife, with revised times at Edinburgh.

To accommodate the diverted trains, the following local trains will be cancelled:

08:35 Edinburgh to Perth

10:38 Edinburgh to Perth

21:10 Perth to Edinburgh

If travelling from Stirling, you should use Glasgow Queen Street – Dundee / Aberdeen services to connect with Inverness trains at Perth.

Edinburgh to Helensburgh / Milngavie via Bathgate services: Train services operate between Bathgate and Helensburgh / Milngavie. Buses replace trains between Edinburgh and Bathgate, calling at Haymarket, Edinburgh Park, Uphall and Livingston North.

Check before you travel:

These changes are not currently shown in the National Rail Enquiries Journey Planner, please check back nearer to the time of travel.

Replacement Bus Travel Advice:

For helpful advice if you need to travel on a rail replacement service, including accessibility and bicycle information, please use this page .

You can find the location of your bus replacement by checking station signs or by searching for your station on our station information pages .

Please be advised that, on occasion, replacement vehicles may be busier than usual, and you should allow extra time for your journey.

Incident Link​

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/engineering-works/edinburgh-park-20240129/

I think having both the services via Falkirk High and also the low level service between Glasgow Queen Street and Edinburgh out of action won't be great.

Peter0124

Established Member
This is purely speculative and not reality, mods please move my post to Speculative Discussion if required:
If Scotrail ran a Glasgow Central to Edinburgh via Carstairs going express from Central to Haymarket, would it be sufficient (and there be demand for it) for end-end passengers (ie no messing around with Bellshill and Wishaw)? How would this compare with journey times via E&G?

Last edited:

trei2k

Unfortunately, buses will be in use between Bathgate and Edinburgh.

Edinburgh to Helensburgh / Milngavie via Bathgate services: Train services operate between Bathgate and Helensburgh / Milngavie. Buses replace trains between Edinburgh and Bathgate, calling at Haymarket, Edinburgh Park, Uphall and Livingston North.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Is the alternative via Bathgate not a consideration? (Or does Edinb Park impact this too?)
Trains from Bathgate into Central Edinburgh will normally always pass through / call at Edinburgh Park station.

Carntyne

But a risk assessment hasn't been carried out for trains of any length greater than 6-cars on the route.
That’s a proper railway answer.

There’s 16 days to go. Management should be bending over backwards to do it in that time.

cf111

Established Member
Won't be fun but at least there is the route from Central for direct journeys. Better than a dirty great rock hitting a train too!

Last edited:

Peter0124

Established Member
I'd imagine the 900 citylink will be quite busy that week alongside the services via Glasgow Central

Toby268

Is there a reason why they cannot run a limited service via whinchburgh as they’ve done previously? Whilst of course they couldn’t use electric traction, they could use some sort of diesel traction

kaysha

Is there a reason why they cannot run a limited service via whinchburgh as they’ve done previously? Whilst of course they couldn’t use electric traction, they could use some sort of diesel traction
Perhaps this demonstrates the short sightedness of delaying the Haymarket Dalmeny electrification. Of course Winchburgh /Dalmeny would also be required. And I suppose resilience comes at a price.

CJSwan

I’m not sure how many drivers and conductors sign that route these days…

I know Perth crews used to when they worked a Glasgow Queen Street to Markinch evening peak service (pre Covid) and Glasgow to Aberdeens used to be diverted along there too if there was engineering work between Stirling and Perth.

I don’t know if any other depots ever had it?