• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Noise on West London line?

WilliamE

Hi all,

We are looking at moving house to Simpson Street Battersea London SW11.

The property backs onto the overground between Imperial Wharf and Clapham Junction. I think that freight trains run on this line but being from Australia I'm not sure how often and how noisy this would be.

Could anyone provide some advice and if this rail line is close enough to cause the house to shake.

Thank you in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I used to live next to the Brighton mainline and never caused me any trouble, your head will filter the noise out after a day and I could easily sleep with the window open

SynthD

Established Member
House shaking is random, you’d have to be there to know. There is a decent amount of greenery to shield you a little. Are you aware of the heliport nearby, by the river?

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Hello

renegademaster is absolutely correct to say that people quickly adjust to this kind of thing, for the most part it’ll just fade into the background of city noise

But to answer your question that particular line is the main way freight gets to and from the Channel Tunnel to the rest of the network so there’s frequent freight all day and night, along with passenger trains going to and from depots etc.

That being said, it does just fade into the background of city noise. Freight trains in particular are generally a lot shorter here than in Australia so they pass quicker as well. So I wouldn’t be unduly concerned

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Have a look at "Real Time Trains" to see how frequent, and at what times of day, freight trains run. (Passenger trains too, but hyou can look at the public timetable for that)

(Note that those marked "Q" are paths that were not used on that particular date)

But you would need to be insude the premises when a train goes past to decide how intrusive it would be for you.

As it is near a junction, an important consideration may be where the noisy bit of a freight train (the locomotive) would stand relative to the house if it was waiting at a signal.

And of course whether the bedrooms you intend to use most are at the front or back of the house

Trackman

Established Member
I used to live next to the Brighton mainline and never caused me any trouble, your head will filter the noise out after a day and I could easily sleep with the window open

I have lived next to a railway, a motorway and over a flight path where aircraft throttle back on the glide path (or whatever causes that noise is).

When I moved home from right next to a motorway, I filmed a video of us in the back garden chatting away, on playing it back I couldn't believe how loud the traffic noise was, and could hardly hear what we were saying to each other. Mind-blowing. But yes a brain 'filter'.

Veteran Member
Have a look at "Real Time Trains" to see how frequent, and at what times of day, freight trains run. (Passenger trains too, but hyou can look at the public timetable for that)

As it is near a junction, an important consideration may be where the noisy bit of a freight train (the locomotive) would stand relative to the house if it was waiting at a signal.
The most likely culprits are freight trains heading south across the river towards Clapham Jn - they are relatively few, and they run in the small hours when the signaller is unlikely to need to stop them, certainly not for any length of time. Drivers are also quite adept at slowing but NOT stopping, so I don't think that would be a worry.

stuu

Established Member
Hi all,

We are looking at moving house to Simpson Street Battersea London SW11.

The property backs onto the overground between Imperial Wharf and Clapham Junction. I think that freight trains run on this line but being from Australia I'm not sure how often and how noisy this would be.

Could anyone provide some advice and if this rail line is close enough to cause the house to shake.

Thank you in advance
No idea specifically for there, however I have lived twice in houses directly next to very, very busy railway lines. The first couple of nights are horrible, every single train wakes you up. By night 3 or 4 you are so tired that you don't care, and after that you never notice them again