• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Noisy tractor (Class 37)

Status
Not open for further replies.

racyrich

Just sitting quietly at home in Basildon when the unmistakable noise of a 37 comes through the closed windows. From about half a mile away. Always makes me smile.
Quite a big night out for it:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Future

Just sitting quietly at home in Basildon when the unmistakable noise of a 37 comes through the closed windows. From about half a mile away. Always makes me smile.
Quite a big night out for it:
That’d be 37175 TnT 37607, quite the pairing

TheSeeker

There was a thread about train noise and distance. In summer with the windows open I could hear 37s going up Stormy bank with steel trains as a kid. A good 4 miles away.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Interestingly ( maybe not!) I CANT hear a 37 going through Fenny Stratford station which is about 100 yards from my house but I CAN hear them open up coming out of Bletchley which is about a mile away. I assume that is because they are coasting through Fenny.

A Class 60 I can hear or perhaps feel going through Fenny AND Bletchley!

Adrian1980uk

Funny you should say that, I was coming up the GEML the other day through London / Essex and was looking at the houses backing on to the line and thinking the constant noise of trains whizzing by, I mean it must be 5 of 6 tph each way so it must be constant

AndrewE

Established Member
Interestingly ( maybe not!) I CANT hear a 37 going through Fenny Stratford station which is about 100 yards from my house but I CAN hear them open up coming out of Bletchley which is about a mile away. I assume that is because they are coasting through Fenny.

A Class 60 I can hear or perhaps feel going through Fenny AND Bletchley!
That's a surprise, they were described to me as "dangerously quiet!" I haven't seen many working, but I didn't get the impression of penetrating noise.

Richard Scott

Established Member
That's a surprise, they were described to me as "dangerously quiet!" I haven't seen many working, but I didn't get the impression of penetrating noise.
Living next to South Wales Mainline even a 66 is noisy at 3am!

Davester50

Can hear the Trans Pennine loco engines in Leeds Station while in the neighbouring hotels. Can't hear any of the other trains.

chipbury

I used to live in Yarm @ 100m from the (then) freight only line south to Northallerton. All the steel trains were doubled headed 37's (501-520 Thornaby loco's?) which made some good noise heading up the bank.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I think it is because it is a different sound at a lower frequency to other trains we get on the line.

I cant hear a 66 or the service trains at all.

ABB125

Established Member
My high school was within 100m of a railway line. Every now and then, an inspection train would go past, often class 67 hauled, but sometimes with a class 37. Depending on whether there was a signal check at the station, you could easily hear it from inside!
One time we were doing shot put (I think) outside when the train came past. Clearly the driver was in an adventurous mood, as you could hear the train for at least a minute...

briosa

A completely silent 37 passed me this morning heading towards Beeston from Nottingham,
had to have a google - Battery Class37 :-

Throughout last summer, 37207 was used to test an electric powertrain

wonder if thats what it was. Certainly spoils the effect of a 37, maybe they need to playback a recording.

Status
Not open for further replies.