• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Non compulsory reservation trains in Sweden that convey first class accommodation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Are there any services in Sweden that convey first class accommodation but are not reservation compulsory? I can't seem to see any.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rvdborgt

In general, no reservations are needed for SJ Regional trains:
SJ's timetable data seems to claim compulsory reservations for some trains though, but as long as they keep this information on their website, you can refer to that.

Also check this list of SJ Regional trains where no reservations are possible:

There may also be other operators with 1st class.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
The Krösatågen-branded service from Linkoping to Kalmar isn't reservation compulsory, and had a First Class compartment when I used it a few weeks ago.

The caveat is that every ticket bought seems to have an allocated seat, so good luck actually sitting in First Class. I spent the whole journey on a tip-up seat opposite the conductor's office. He had no explanation for me when I asked either where you could make a reservation or where any unreserved seating was.

rvdborgt

The Krösatågen-branded service from Linkoping to Kalmar isn't reservation compulsory, and had a First Class compartment when I used it a few weeks ago.

The caveat is that every ticket bought seems to have an allocated seat, so good luck actually sitting in First Class. I spent the whole journey on a tip-up seat opposite the conductor's office. He had no explanation for me when I asked either where you could make a reservation or where any unreserved seating was.
You can book a seat for SEK 50 on sj.se.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
You can book a seat for SEK 50 on sj.se.
Yes you've jogged my memory now - I remember drawing a blank initially but eventually found that it's technically an SJ service.

For the rest of the trip I quite diligently checked other services I was using as I didn't want to spend another long journey on a tip-up seat.

It didn't seem to be reservation compulsory though, either that or the conductor wasn't bothered. Swedish rail staff I found to be exceptionally friendly and accommodating.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
You don’t need a reservation on either Öresundståg or TÅGAB trains, and both carry first class.

TÅGAB trains are easiest to find between Stockholm and Karlstad; but they also have a couple of less-than daily routes radiating from Kalmar, including Gothenburg.

(I presume you’re asking because you have a 1st class Interrail pass?)

Last edited:

JonasB

TÅGAB trains are easiest to find between Stockholm and Kalmar; but they also have a couple of less-than daily routes radiating from Kalmar, including Gothenburg.

It's easy to mix up Swedish towns that begin with Ka, but Tågab's trains usually go to/from Karlstad and/or Kristinehamn.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
It's easy to mix up Swedish towns that begin with Ka, but Tågab's trains usually go to/from Karlstad and/or Kristinehamn.

Oops! My bad. Typing on an iPhone with an English keyboard. It has learned Kalmar but not Karlstad :)

Status
Not open for further replies.