• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Non-Safety Critical Medicals

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitcub

Hi there, long time lurker here (worked in the industry for over 11yrs!) - just been offered a non safety-critical control-based job and been asked to accept the offer pending a medical assessment (my current TOC has an extremely lengthy notice period and won't budge on it).

I'm just a little concerned as obviously if I didn't pass my medical, that'd leave me without a job for either TOC and that's obviously not something I want! Have scoured the pages of the forum but all queries and info I can find pertain to Safety Critical medical assessments for Drivers, Conductors etc. Can anyone here advise what is actually covered by a non-Safety Crit medical assessment? My recruiting manager suggested "it's nothing to be concerned about, just the usual drugs and alcohol screening" (which I have no concerns over at all) - but if they do cover more, I have a pre-existing heart condition (which I've had for over a decade, and is controlled under medication) and am diabetic (again controlled by tablet and diet) - and I guess I'm just concerned that whilst I have no other choice if I want this job (which I very much do!), I'm walking myself into a dead end with no way out - and I don't want my rail career to be over, it's so much more than just a job to me.

Just looking for some advice or information at least, I guess. Thank you in advance for your time and comments.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

E16 Cyclist

When i first joined the railway as a buffet steward the medical was literally pee in a pot, so don’t overthink it and stress yourself out

TheLastMinute

The recent non safety critical medical I had was literally the OH person reviewing my medical history questionnaire and doing a dip test of urine.

si_145653

My partner had a non safety critical medical recently, was sent a pre screening questionnaire to declare any health issues (i had the same one for safety critical), on the day it was pee in a pot and done.

On the pre screening questionnaire you should declare the heart condition but there is usually a space to say how long you have had it and that its controlled by meds. I had the same with a thyroid issue and it wasnt raised at the medical at all.

bouff34

Hi there, long time lurker here (worked in the industry for over 11yrs!) - just been offered a non safety-critical control-based job and been asked to accept the offer pending a medical assessment (my current TOC has an extremely lengthy notice period and won't budge on it).

I'm just a little concerned as obviously if I didn't pass my medical, that'd leave me without a job for either TOC and that's obviously not something I want! Have scoured the pages of the forum but all queries and info I can find pertain to Safety Critical medical assessments for Drivers, Conductors etc. Can anyone here advise what is actually covered by a non-Safety Crit medical assessment? My recruiting manager suggested "it's nothing to be concerned about, just the usual drugs and alcohol screening" (which I have no concerns over at all) - but if they do cover more, I have a pre-existing heart condition (which I've had for over a decade, and is controlled under medication) and am diabetic (again controlled by tablet and diet) - and I guess I'm just concerned that whilst I have no other choice if I want this job (which I very much do!), I'm walking myself into a dead end with no way out - and I don't want my rail career to be over, it's so much more than just a job to me.

Just looking for some advice or information at least, I guess. Thank you in advance for your time and comments.
So don't hand your notice in until you have confirmation you have passed the medical and have a start date??

kitcub

So don't hand your notice in until you have confirmation you have passed the medical and have a start date??
If only it were that straightforward. The new employer won't wait the 5-6 weeks it may take for them to get a medical appointment plus the 12 weeks of notice my current employer works to (and won't budge on)...

TheLastMinute

If only it were that straightforward. The new employer won't wait the 5-6 weeks it may take for them to get a medical appointment plus the 12 weeks of notice my current employer works to (and won't budge on)...
That's a pain and, frankly, more than a little unfair by the new employer to expect you to risk your livelihood. At the TOC I start with next week, passing the medical came before the unconditional offer and agreeing a start date.

If it were me, I'd be seriously questioning if I wanted to work for such an organisation.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
It's non safety-critical, so won't probably be much more than drugs and alcohol and a medical history questionnaire. Even a safety-critical isn't normally a major issue, and there are people with diabetes in those roles. So long as all your conditions are under medical control, that will be the only concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.