• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern 150/0 on Colne services

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave87016

Established Member
Apologies if this is in the wrong thread please move if so

I maybe wrong but if RTT is correct then today northern 3 car 150/0 are making debuts on a Blackburn - Colne diagram and also a Blackburn - Southport diagram I may have missed it but I don’t recall them having worked these services before ( Southport maybe but definately not on a Colne )

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llama

Established Member
Are they the actual /0s or the cobbled together three-car sets? As far as I know 150001 and 002 would only be worked by Manchester Victoria and Blackburn drivers as traincrew need to have read and signed for a written brief for the differences from other 150s (mostly electrical). The other 3-car 150 sets which are formed from a 150/1 sandwiching a /2 vehicle don't need a traincrew brief, although a bulletin was produced anyway to confirm which equipment was isolated/removed on the /2 vehicle.

The Southports have generally been two 2-car units up to now on Sundays so a reduction in capacity is a bit poor at this time of year.

High Dyke

Established Member
Are they the actual /0s or the cobbled together three-car sets? As far as I know 150001 and 002 would only be worked by Manchester Victoria and Blackburn drivers as traincrew need to have read and signed for a written brief for the differences from other 150s (mostly electrical). The other 3-car 150 sets which are formed from a 150/1 sandwiching a /2 vehicle don't need a traincrew brief, although a bulletin was produced anyway to confirm which equipment was isolated/removed on the /2 vehicle.

The Southports have generally been two 2-car units up to now on Sundays so a reduction in capacity is a bit poor at this time of year.
A "cobbled together" 3-car is shown. 150003 (52116 / 57209 / 57116)

dave87016

Established Member
Still I don’t recall a 3 car class 150 working a Colne diagram before , AFAIK they only work the Clitheroe /Blackburn to Manchester and Rochdale via Bolton also Via Burnley Manchester Road

Liverpool 507

There was rumours in another thread that the 3 car units are to be relocated to the Penistone line. This is once a reasonable number of 156s come into the fleet from EMR.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
There was rumours in another thread that the 3 car units are to be relocated to the Penistone line. This is once a reasonable number of 156s come into the fleet from EMR.
If I'm remembering accurately, it was the hybrid sets that are planned to come East, with the two "true" 3-car sets staying in Manchester.
Until something actually happens, who knows what the next chapter in Northern's Kafkaesque rolling stock strategy will be? :lol:

Just to confirm, 150003 was definitely on the Colne circuit today, as it passed me at Lomeshaye Road petrol station in Nelson this evening...

Geeves

Established Member
With the current traincrew shortages and the depot at King St you can only assume that if the 3 car was all that was available, it was better to send it than not run half the Colne services all day.

davetheguard

Established Member
with the two "true" 3-car sets staying in Manchester.

When those two sets ended up at GWR, they were regularly used on the Reading - Basingstoke stoppers. Now that they're based in Manchester, do 150 001 & 002 have a regular diagram or route they work? Or are they used on any route that can accommodate three cars at its platforms?

MrS99

Not entirely sure about this... 150/0 would not be accommodated fully on multiple platforms along this route, and as there is no selective door operating function, the long train short platform method of working would be highly time consuming at the stations where a normal method of working wasn't possible due to LTSP. Rishton, off the top of my head, being a prime example.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not entirely sure about this... 150/0 would not be accommodated fully on multiple platforms along this route, and as there is no selective door operating function, the long train short platform method of working would be highly time consuming at the stations where a normal method of working wasn't possible due to LTSP. Rishton, off the top of my head, being a prime example.
If by "this route" you mean the Penistone line from Huddersfield to Sheffield, the platforms were extended during 2020. All are now capable of taking a 3-car 150.

Edit- realise your mention of Rishton suggests you didn't mean Penistone. Just ignore me! :oops:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
When those two sets ended up at GWR, they were regularly used on the Reading - Basingstoke stoppers. Now that they're based in Manchester, do 150 001 & 002 have a regular diagram or route they work? Or are they used on any route that can accommodate three cars at its platforms?
Almost exclusively Clitheroe to Rochdale via Manchester working alongside hybrids 150003-150006. 150001 and 150002 don't have specific diagrams - the six units share the workings on the route.

Status
Not open for further replies.