• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern - Apprentice Train Driver - Leeds (21/04/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link here.

Driver Apprenticeship

Grade: Driver

Salary: £23,576 per annum rising to £40,738 per annum on completion of training (approx 12 months) and rising to £44,952 in Year 2 of driving then rising to £54,500 when fully qualified

Our 2 year Driver Training Apprenticeship Programme comes with a permanent role and an opportunity to play your part in our brand-new future.

As part of our team of highly skilled Train Drivers you’ll be the face of Northern. It’s about working on the frontline as part of our onboard team and alongside station dispatch and control colleagues to meet performance targets, stick to timetables, and make sure customers enjoy a true Northern experience as they arrive safely at their destinations.

You don’t need previous driving experience as our Apprenticeship Programme offers full Driver Training. You’ll spend your first 16 weeks taking part in classroom based learning in either Leeds or Manchester, followed by a minimum of 2 years training in our depot with our full support as you develop your skills.

We’ll expect 100% commitment from you on this rewarding yet demanding programme, but our Training Team will be with you all the way when it comes to ongoing assessments and knowledge checks.

What’s really important is an ability to stay calm and to think on your feet in sometimes challenging situations. And because you’ll need to work a range of shifts, from the early hours of the mornings until late at night, plus weekends and Bank Holidays, it’s vital that you’re flexible and that you live within 45 minutes drive of our depot. And don’t forget that our selection process includes safety critical medical assessments that cover general health, vision, hearing, colour vision and drugs and alcohol testing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

splashzed

I am in a talent pool for Leeds for Northern, should I apply to this or is that pointless?

ollie_hobbs

I am in a talent pool for Leeds for Northern, should I apply to this or is that pointless?
Have you received any updates for HR / asked for an update? I hadn't heard anything form the Leeds talent pool for about a month, so I dropped the HR and email and the next day I got an offer to start end of May. Maybe worth a shot if you haven't heard anything.

splashzed

Have you received any updates for HR / asked for an update? I hadn't heard anything form the Leeds talent pool for about a month, so I dropped the HR and email and the next day I got an offer to start end of May. Maybe worth a shot if you haven't heard anything.
Hi, I haven't emailed them actually, do you have the email address/can you pm me?

Should I just send something along the lines of "I'm keen on starting and I was a bit confused about the new ad for trainee train drivers?" Or more like "I just wanted to let you know that I am excited to join you"?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

SteveL9

As others have said previously on other threads, it seems if you’re in the talent pool it depends on if other candidates with higher scores come in ahead of you. The preference of the driver managers must surely come in to it as well.

SteveL9

I’ve been invited to the psychometrics, no date yet as they’re checking previous passes etc.

LokiB

Yes, I actually got several dates because I'm in the running for Leeds and Skipton.
Nice one, congrats and good luck.
It's good to know, I thought you could only have one application open at a time. Opens up options of I apply again.

SteveL9

Yeah recruitment told me that was fine, obviously the rules still apply on the number of times you can attempt the psychometrics though.

ayaz2001

i thought it was an interview first (cbi), do they give u a list of what ure gonna do? tests etc.

SteveL9

Northern do DMI first, presumably to make sure you’d be a good fit before they let you do psychometrics. If you’re invited to psychometrics they’ll tell you what tests you’ll do and send practice material.

Owen2323

A word or warning to anyone applying for a position with Northern - if you are waiting to hear if you're through to interview etc then you need to be checking the online portal you submitted your application through (twice daily really). Do not rely on an invite coming through to your emails. The quicker you see an invite the more chance you have of picking a slot that suits you (speaking from experience!)

LokiB

Northern do DMI first, presumably to make sure you’d be a good fit before they let you do psychometrics. If you’re invited to psychometrics they’ll tell you what tests you’ll do and send practice material.
It's a bit different on this recruitment.
Stage 1 and stage 2.
Stage one the written psychometrics followed by interview, pass through that and then stage 2 is computer psychometrics and MMI.

Status
Not open for further replies.