• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 769 Diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member

leomartin125

I am now looking for updated Northern 769 diagrams. The FOI request links to diagrams that aren't even being followed, I have checked today and as far as I can see, zero 769 units are out - any diagrams are covered by 150/156. Is there a reason that the 769s seem to be not operational on a Saturday?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I have checked today and as far as I can see, zero 769 units are out - any diagrams are covered by 150/156. Is there a reason that the 769s seem to be not operational on a Saturday?
Just because they are being covered by 150s or 156s doesn't mean they aren't 769 diagrams officially.

The 769s appear to have been stood down for some reason.

leomartin125

Just because they are being covered by 150s or 156s doesn't mean they aren't 769 diagrams officially.

The 769s appear to have been stood down for some reason.
The 769 diagrams I was referring to were the official ones published by Northern as a direct result of that FOI request above.

Unsure as to why they have been ‘stood down’ - sounds ominous!

thealexweb

Is this connected to the 769 which shut down between Salford and Bolton earlier in the week? It caused hours of delays.

Greybeard33

Established Member
The 769 diagrams I was referring to were the official ones published by Northern as a direct result of that FOI request above.

Unsure as to why they have been ‘stood down’ - sounds ominous!
Is this connected to the 769 which shut down between Salford and Bolton earlier in the week? It caused hours of delays.
From RTT, 769431 & 434 were in traffic on Thursday 12 October, but both were withdrawn before completing their diagrams. It appears that 431 failed at Moses Gate westbound at 1848, then 434 was withdrawn at Bolton eastbound at 1902, presumably to go and rescue 431. It was not until 2115 that another train made it through from Manchester to Bolton. See
for discussion of this incident.

No 769s have been out since.

M60lad

I'm not even to sure to be honest whether Northern actually use all of their 769s each day as I've often seen at least one set stabled at Newton Heath and also on Saturdays whenever I've been passing Allerton Depot on 18:22 Lime St-Oxford Road service there seems to be at least 3 or maybe more stabled up out of use usually inbetween 319s.

Greybeard33

Established Member
I'm not even to sure to be honest whether Northern actually use all of their 769s each day as I've often seen at least one set stabled at Newton Heath and also on Saturdays whenever I've been passing Allerton Depot on 18:22 Lime St-Oxford Road service there seems to be at least 3 or maybe more stabled up out of use usually inbetween 319s.
See the 769 rolling stock thread for previous discussion of reliability issues:

driverd

In fairness its quite normal to only utilise a percentage of a fleet. I've not scrutinised the diagrams upthread, but would expect atleast 2x 769s on book maintenance diagrams per day.

As others have said (and in particular due to how diverse northerns fleet is), just because a 769 is allocated, doesn't necessarily mean you'll get one - in the same way an allocated 150 could easily end up a 156.

AMD

The FOI request links to diagrams that aren't even being followed, I have checked today and as far as I can see, zero 769 units are out - any diagrams are covered by 150/156. Is there a reason that the 769s seem to be not operational on a Saturday?
As noted above, the failure of 431 and the use of 434 to rescue it has wiped out availability of the fleet.
There are currently 2 units away for mods at the moment, plus Network Rail will not allow a 769 out in service unless theres another one available for rescue purposes, so the micro fleet is even smaller than usual.

thealexweb

Northern's ambitions to have six of the eight units in use daily from December look ever more remote...

Greybeard33

Established Member
As noted above, the failure of 431 and the use of 434 to rescue it has wiped out availability of the fleet.
There are currently 2 units away for mods at the moment, plus Network Rail will not allow a 769 out in service unless theres another one available for rescue purposes, so the micro fleet is even smaller than usual.
The current diagrams show that 4 units should be in traffic M-F, with 2 units away for mods and 2 on exams. Today RTT shows that 769434 is the only unit in traffic, on diagram AN291. The other 3 diagrams are being worked by a 156+150 combo, a 156+156 combo and a solo 156. So presumably two 769s are currently demic, with a third sufficiently serviceable to rescue 434 if necessary.

Edit: But see #15 & #19 below for clarification.

Last edited:

Geeves

Established Member
Another 769 came out this morning otherwise it would still be zero!

424 is the other one coming off Newton Heath and the 156s swapping onto the Tod Blackburn work

scrapy

Established Member
If there are not 3 serviceable 769s available, none come out as there needs to be one available to rescue a failed unit. (And one to rescue that incase of further issues)

Status
Not open for further replies.