• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern - Driver Apprenticeship - Manchester (14/10/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVDW995

Attachments

• 5B789AA7-5D33-4961-8C46-00B634BC48C5.jpeg
    5B789AA7-5D33-4961-8C46-00B634BC48C5.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 46
  • A73450C2-FA04-4A94-A363-BC35843A89D1.jpeg
    A73450C2-FA04-4A94-A363-BC35843A89D1.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JRE

Anyone heard back from Northern?
Is everyone's saying 'Under Review' or are some still showing 'Under Consideration'?
I'm assuming there must be a reason behind the difference?

NorthernTech

I wasn’t replying to you, or starting a new thread. I was letting Carly know the position is advertised.
Apologies, but I also thought it was worth letting people know there was a separate thread they could use if applying to those positions, as this one was a much earlier date and different depot. Thanks.

JRE

To anyone who has had their interview with Northern - how do you feel it went?

NorthernTech

I had the DMI (having passed the psychometrics previously) - I’m now swimming in the pool!
Well done! Glad you got through finally, presume you just had to resit part of the test, was it just MMI? Well done anyway pal

SVDW995

Well done! Glad you got through finally, presume you just had to resit part of the test, was it just MMI? Well done anyway pal
Thanks mate! Had to resit the 2Hand that I failed last time, and then sit SJE and MMI. Happy days - that first attempt at the 2Hand has been haunting me for 18 months, glad I got another shot. Just hope I get a place on a course.

NewTrain?

Has anybody else got through to the talent pool or a place on a course? I passed the psychometrics a week ago last Monday but only got the email through this evening, despite being told I had passed on the day...

SVDW995

Hi, I have a place on a course after DMI in Feb (had passed psychometrics before I had my DMI).

Well done for passing the psychometrics - you’ll be in the talent pool now until you get called up for a course (fingers crossed it’s sooner rather than later).

Owen2323

I've been given a provisional start date of 9th May pending the results of my medical (which I don't foresee any problems with). Although my base will be Newcastle......

NewTrain?

Hi, I have a place on a course after DMI in Feb (had passed psychometrics before I had my DMI).

Well done for passing the psychometrics - you’ll be in the talent pool now until you get called up for a course (fingers crossed it’s sooner rather than later).
Cheers. Well done to you too!

It's the uncertainty that's frustrating. I will just have to play the waiting game.

Owen2323

Northern seem to be running a lot of new driver courses at the minute so hopefully you'll not be waiting too long

NewTrain?

Agree - I was in the pool about 3/4 weeks. I had expected to be in it a lot longer but like @Owen2323 says, lots of courses forecasted.
Cheers for the replies. I got an email after the dmi (I think) asking about my notice period and any holidays I have booked. I told them I have two weeks in September, but I could cancel if necessary. I wonder if that will delay me getting a course position. I can't imagine they want people to start then go on holiday a few weeks later....

SeanW90

I applied back in August for an internal only vacancy. Passed the DMI and psychometrics in November but have been on hold since. Has anyone been offered a start date for Manchester? I’ve been told that there are no driver courses planned until Autumn which is worrying as my application could potentially expire.

NewTrain?

I applied back in August for an internal only vacancy. Passed the DMI and psychometrics in November but have been on hold since. Has anyone been offered a start date for Manchester? I’ve been told that there are no driver courses planned until Autumn which is worrying as my application could potentially expire.
I was told in the DMI that there was a course planned for the 30th May. As others have said, there seems to be lots of courses planned.

SeanW90

I was told in the DMI that there was a course planned for the 30th May. As others have said, there seems to be lots of courses planned.
Thanks for the reply mate are you still on hold too? I was told there are no places left on the May course. Fingers crossed something will come up in the next few months.

NewTrain?

Thanks for the reply mate are you still on hold too? I was told there are no places left on the May course. Fingers crossed something will come up in the next few months.
Yeah, I'm still on hold. I passed the psychometrics towards the end of March. I haven't been waiting that long really.

SVDW995

Why Northern, why you want to be a driver, what you know about the role, what do you know about the company. Some info about your local station is always useful in case they ask.

I prepped STAR based answers to the following questions (which was useful for MMI too):

1 - Describe a time where you've had to follow rules and procedures

2 - Describe a time where you've been involved in an emergency / unexpected situation

3 - Describe a time you've been on a training course for over 2 weeks

4 - Describe your greatest achievement

5 - Describe a time where you've had to work for long periods of time alone

6 - Describe a time you've had to solve a difficult problem

7 - Give an example of a time you undertook a task similar to train driver's role

8 -Describe a time when you have worked to a very high standard whilst encountering difficulty

9- Give an example where you've had to work under pressure.

10 - Give an example where you've had to communicate an important message

11- Give an example where you've had to work as part of a team (to achieve a task)

12 - Give an example of when you provided high level of customer care and service

13 - Give an example of dealing with difficult and aggressive people

14 - Give an example of working with people from different backgrounds

15 - Give an example of a project you had to complete and the obstacles you had to overcome

16 - Describe a time when you had a disagreement with your manager and how it was resolved

They obviously might not be exactly worded that way, and if you are struggling for an example, you can always ask if there’s another question (they offered me the choice of another question, and I asked what questions were left so I could best use my examples to the appropriate questions).

Also useful to prep a few (sensible!) questions to ask your interviewers too.

Good luck!

Bobbydavro

Why Northern, why you want to be a driver, what you know about the role, what do you know about the company. Some info about your local station is always useful in case they ask.

I prepped STAR based answers to the following questions (which was useful for MMI too):

1 - Describe a time where you've had to follow rules and procedures

2 - Describe a time where you've been involved in an emergency / unexpected situation

3 - Describe a time you've been on a training course for over 2 weeks

4 - Describe your greatest achievement

5 - Describe a time where you've had to work for long periods of time alone

6 - Describe a time you've had to solve a difficult problem

7 - Give an example of a time you undertook a task similar to train driver's role

8 -Describe a time when you have worked to a very high standard whilst encountering difficulty

9- Give an example where you've had to work under pressure.

10 - Give an example where you've had to communicate an important message

11- Give an example where you've had to work as part of a team (to achieve a task)

12 - Give an example of when you provided high level of customer care and service

13 - Give an example of dealing with difficult and aggressive people

14 - Give an example of working with people from different backgrounds

15 - Give an example of a project you had to complete and the obstacles you had to overcome

16 - Describe a time when you had a disagreement with your manager and how it was resolved

They obviously might not be exactly worded that way, and if you are struggling for an example, you can always ask if there’s another question (they offered me the choice of another question, and I asked what questions were left so I could best use my examples to the appropriate questions).

Also useful to prep a few (sensible!) questions to ask your interviewers too.

Good luck!
Cheers for that

Status
Not open for further replies.