• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Driver Jobs (Trainee) Hull & York

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulN

Hi all Northern are advertising the following roles for trainee Drivers: Good luck if you're applying :)

https://northern.engageats.co.uk/LoginV2.aspx

Locations: Hull and York

Salary details:

£23,326 per annum during training - approx 12 months

Rising to £40,738 in Year 1

Rising to £44,952 in Year 2

Rising to £54,500 in Year 3 onwards.

About Northern

An exciting future could be closer than you think.

We are transforming… and we are on the lookout for smart, forward thinking and motivated people to join us on our journey. You’ll help us to grow our business during this exciting time, shaping rail travel in the North and providing our customers with a service to be proud of.

If this sounds like you, then you’re in the right place. We’ve got lots of great things planned and we need more like-minded people, contributing fresh ideas, passion and commitment to bring our vision to life. You’ll be joining a business that values its people, where hard work is rewarded, and development and progression ensure we retain and attract the very best talent.

About the role

As a Train Driver it’s your responsibility to ensure our customers reach their destination in a safe manner and on time. Our drivers work hard to maintain high levels of route and train knowledge to ensure that safety is kept at the forefront of our operations.

Although most of the time you will be working on your own in the driver’s cab, you will need to be able to communicate effectively with others in the wider team, including your Conductor, Dispatch and Control colleagues, and of course our customers.

Our Training Programme

You don’t need any previous train driving experience to apply as we offer full training as part of the role. To be successful during the training period you’ll need to have a willingness to learn, both during working hours and at home too, as it’s an intense course requiring 100% commitment from you. In return our Training Team will give you all of the support and encouragement you need to succeed at the ongoing assessments and knowledge checks.

The Driver Training Programme includes modules on rules and regulations, route learning, fire safety, traction training and track safety, followed by on-going training and assessments.

The first 16 weeks will follow a blended learning approach of both theory and practical learning at one of our dedicated training academies in Leeds or Manchester. This is followed by a period of time under the guidance of a driver instructor/minder during which you will be regularly assessed to develop and maintain competence.

This training is run alongside the Train Driver Apprenticeship Programme on to which you will be enrolled at the start of your employment.

About you

Working as a Train Driver, your greatest strengths will be your concentration skills, your ability to work on your own for long periods of time, whilst being able to react and adapt to different situations using your knowledge of rules and regulations.

You’ll also be the face of Northern, so you’ll need to have excellent customer service skills and be able to think on your feet.

You should also be able to demonstrate the following:
  • Highly disciplined and with the ability to work within rules and regulations
  • Ability to remain calm even when under pressure
  • Remaining alert and vigilant at all times
  • Customer focused
  • Excellent verbal and written communication skills
  • Punctuality and reliability
In your role as a Train Driver, you will work shifts from the early hours of the morning until late at night, weekends and Bank Holidays. You will work an average of 35 hours per week and receive your rosters in advance.

Due to the early starts and late finishes, you would be required to get to work without relying on public transport, as well as ensuring you live within a 45-minute car journey from your place of work.

The selection process:

Please apply online, answering all questions fully to demonstrate your suitability to the role. Applications received will be shortlisted, and successful candidates will be invited to an interview with Northern. If you meet the standard we’re looking for, you will then be invited to attend a Driver Psychometric Assessment (usually in Doncaster or Manchester). The final stages would include a safety critical medical (covering assessments of general health, vision, hearing, colour vision and drugs and alcohol testing).

Northern is an equal opportunities employer and a promoter of diversity and inclusion in the workplace.

This role is for employment in 2021

Closing date: 21st August 2020

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sammy2019

It says you must be within 45 minutes of your place of work. Does anyone know if they would accept candidates who would be willing to relocate (providing they moved to within 45 minutes of course)?

PaulN

It says you must be within 45 minutes of your place of work. Does anyone know if they would accept candidates who would be willing to relocate (providing they moved to within 45 minutes of course)?
They may do - some TOCs are happy to - I would apply regardless and add this in to your application.

heedfan

I can't see the vacancy on the link you've provided? There are only 5 vacancies listed and none of them are driving...

heedfan

There's 5 pages of job listings.... attention to detail!

Not on my phone there isn't. And a search for jobs with the key word 'driver' brings up nothing. I will have a look later on on my laptop and no doubt it will appear. Thanks very much for your wise words relating to attention to detail. However would I manage without such clever and insightful people such as yourself.

heedfan

You need to change page at the bottom. It is on there.

Thanks, it doesn't show up on my phone. The entire page doesn't really seem to load correctly and clicking on individual jobs doesn't load through to the job. I'll have a try later on on a computer.

Seehof

Heedfan - do apply for a driver’s job. Depot drivers usually make excellent main line drivers as they have a knowledge of fault finding and units unparalleled by anyone. The one I knew I admired enormously and was a damn good driver too.

heedfan

Heedfan - do apply for a driver’s job. Depot drivers usually make excellent main line drivers as they have a knowledge of fault finding and units unparalleled by anyone. The one I knew I admired enormously and was a damn good driver too.

Thanks for the support, I will definitely be applying. I certainly won't be letting some superior and dismissive comments on an online forum get in the way.

Choochoo_loco

I regularly look on northerns website . I did wonder why alot of jobs would show one day then disappear the next.
I too only realised yesterday there was actually additional pages. It certainly isn't that clear on your phone.
Wonder how many opportunities I missed due to this....Doh!

snakeydave24

I would avoid using the mobile website as it’s very buggy, maybe they should hire a website designer as well ;)

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I regularly look on northerns website . I did wonder why alot of jobs would show one day then disappear the next.
I too only realised yesterday there was actually additional pages. It certainly isn't that clear on your phone.
Wonder how many opportunities I missed due to this....Doh!

I check on Northern's careers page regularly too. For your info, any new jobs get added to the vacancies board on Thursdays (usually the afternoon). I worked this out when they were still under Arriva and used the Deutsche Bahn site to advertise new roles.

Also, if a lot of jobs get advertised at the same time they are likely to have the same expiry/deadline date - this might explain why a block of jobs disappear at once. Northern do sometimes remove jobs early, if they get large volumes of applicants too. Trainee train driving roles attract hundreds of applicants and I've known vacancies to be pulled in less than 24 hours before now.

CJ

Valerian

I applied for both hull and york. Received rejection on friday from york but not too surprised as I live further than 45 mins away (but not much further), and thought no harm to try anyway. Fingers crossed for Hull still.

Orange08

I applied for both hull and york. Received rejection on friday from york but not too surprised as I live further than 45 mins away (but not much further), and thought no harm to try anyway. Fingers crossed for Hull still.
I got an email regards York last week too. Didn’t reject my application just thanking me again for applying and saying my application is currently been screened. It’s gone quiet again though so no idea. Anyone else heard anything good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.