• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Driver Pool - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

TreacleMiller

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LeeMck9

When you say talent pool, is that different to your status being ‘application on hold’ having passed everything? As northern have never specifically referred to it as a ‘talent pool’ as far as I know.

Last edited:

TreacleMiller

"On hold pool" in bright bold text on a talent pool email from them having passed the testing to their standards.

I was told by a fellow applicant that new candidates can go above those in a pool for the same place and that driver managers can request specific people etc. How true that is I've no idea.

Really hope I'm not left here for months on end, absolutely torture to get through, pass and get nothing.

Last edited:

JohntyRogers

I was informed that candidate received grade A to E based on all their performance, and that grade dictates how quickly you come out of the pool of ever. Seems remarkably unfair to me, so of you graded E you more or less have zero chance of getting pulled form the pool and will eventually wash out, and seems to happen a lot.Why they then don't just fail those and stop leading people on os beyond me, after all they could then redo elements and score better rather than locking in a scrape score.

TreacleMiller

Yep, that's what I feel too.

Good enough to not have to pass again, not good enough to get a offer and no real indication you'd need to resit.

JohntyRogers

Yep, that's what I feel too.

Good enough to not have to pass again, not good enough to get a offer and no real indication you'd need to resit.
Oh no friend. I doubt that applies to you, a month wait between stages is nothing. Nothing at all. I waited 3. Don't read into anything yet, your still in the early period. They may be finishing the batch before processing anyone.

TreacleMiller

I dont *think* ill be an "E" for example, but I feel its an unfair system as you implied.

Ive been waiting 2 year since my first application. I can wait longer :D:D

NewTrain?

I was informed that candidate received grade A to E based on all their performance, and that grade dictates how quickly you come out of the pool of ever. Seems remarkably unfair to me, so of you graded E you more or less have zero chance of getting pulled form the pool and will eventually wash out, and seems to happen a lot.Why they then don't just fail those and stop leading people on os beyond me, after all they could then redo elements and score better rather than locking in a scrape score.
This doesn't seem to make much sense.. Surely if you have passed all the various aspects of the selection criteria, even to enhanced in Northerns case, there can't be much room to resolve candidates performance further, especially over 5 grades. It would be sort of understandable if the grading was 'excellent' and 'very good', which all the candidates are by virtue of being in the pool....

JohntyRogers

This doesn't seem to make much sense.. Surely if you have passed all the various aspects of the selection criteria, even to enhanced in Northerns case, there can't be much room to resolve candidates performance further, especially over 5 grades. It would be sort of understandable if the grading was 'excellent' and 'very good', which all the candidates are by virtue of being in the pool....
Just what my DM told me when I asked him if I had scraped the interview or not? He said we are scored from each stage and that final score is the decision maker. The A to D (apologies not E) was something I read from the marketing and industry reports form the German company that makes those tests suites. Just put 2 and 2 together on it.

Just what my DM told me when I asked him if I had scraped the interview or not? He said we are scored from each stage and that final score is the decision maker. The A to D (apologies not E) was something I read from the marketing and industry reports form the German company that makes those tests suites. Just put 2 and 2 together on it.
Further, but otherwise I don't know how else to explain it if not, why TOCs with a full talent pool then start an application process again the year later, just for lots to wash out,why wouldn't they just exhaust the pool and save the millions kn the entire recruitment process! I know railway recruitment is clandestine at the best of times but something is going on that we are not aware of. For instance, why did I wait 3 months yet another has been in 2 years at my place. Something is a miss.

NewTrain?

Further, but otherwise I don't know how else to explain it if not, why TOCs with a full talent pool then start an application process again the year later, just for lots to wash out,why wouldn't they just exhaust the pool and save the millions kn the entire recruitment process! I know railway recruitment is clandestine at the best of times but something is going on that we are not aware of. For instance, why did I wait 3 months yet another has been in 2 years at my place. Something is a miss.
Yeah. It's weird, even from a purely financial POV. I am assuming the TOC has to pay for the psychometrics so why put new applicants through the process when you have (presumably) suitability qualified people in the pool.

As you say though, it's very clandestine. There is probably more to it than we will ever know....

TreacleMiller

I was surprised I was told as much as I was on my assessment day and some people were far more forthcoming with their views on recruitment than others.

It is very clear that the pool is not FIFO. However you have no idea what "position" you are in the pecking order and it continues to be added to with potentially other applicants coming in a head of you and one of the candidates was told that on my assessment day.

Trying not to be too down at the moment, I've passed at felt elated on the day knowing I'd gone through but utterly devastated to see I'm in limbo.

JohntyRogers

I was surprised I was told as much as I was on my assessment day and some people were far more forthcoming with their views on recruitment than others.

It is very clear that the pool is not FIFO. However you have no idea what "position" you are in the pecking order and it continues to be added to with potentially other applicants coming in a head of you and one of the candidates was told that on my assessment day.

Trying not to be too down at the moment, I've passed at felt elated on the day knowing I'd gone through but utterly devastated to see I'm in limbo.
Try not to let it get you down. It is frustrating as hell though and rail recruitment is like nothing I ever encounted. The fact your in a pool is a positive, I'd just keep applying to any others as they come along and try not let it get you down. You have clearly got what it takes if you passed everything so it sjust a matter of time imo. Good luck friend

Raikkonen7

Moderator Note: People contributing to this thread, may wish to also check the specific threads for the applications they applied for:

Newcastle (September 2021), Manchester (October 2021), Leeds/York/Sheffield (December 2021)

______

Hi everyone,

I've completed my testing and dmi etc. And find myself in the talent pool. I couldn't find a thread for 2022 so figured I would create one.

Is anyone else in here with me for Sheffield?
I interviewed in April for Sheffield and was recently offered a start date Aug 29th 22.

Orange08

Had similar today. Passed everything to Northern’s standard only to get an email shortly afterwards advising me there is no current job offer at this time.

Still absolutely over the moon to get the pass under the belt, sit tight and wait now and pray for a start date before the 9 months is up.

Established Member
Had similar today. Passed everything to Northern’s standard only to get an email shortly afterwards advising me there is no current job offer at this time.

Still absolutely over the moon to get the pass under the belt, sit tight and wait now and pray for a start date before the 9 months is up.

I would also apply elsewhere. Quite a few stories on here over the years of people waiting for months/years, putting their lives on hold then washing out of talent pools with no job. It’s best not to have all your eggs in one basket. Appreciate that won’t be what anyone wants to hear, but it’s realistic.

Last edited:

Orange08

I would also apply elsewhere. Quite a few stories on here over the years of people waiting for months/years, putting their lives on hold then washing out of talent pools with no job. It’s best not to have all your eggs in one basket. Appreciate that won’t be what anyone wants to hear, but it’s realistic.
Thanks mate I will keep my eyes peeled for any vacancies that pop up close by.

TreacleMiller

Apply everywhere you fancy that you qualify to apply for.

Northern enhanced is higher than it was, though how far your pass is beyond their standard is anyone's guess.

Manchester91

When you say talent pool, is that different to your status being ‘application on hold’ having passed everything? As northern have never specifically referred to it as a ‘talent pool’ as far as I know.
I’m currently at this stage now. ‘Application on hold’ not ‘on hold pool’. Is there a difference between these or do both just mean talent pool? Thanks

LeeMck9

I’m currently at this stage now. ‘Application on hold’ not ‘on hold pool’. Is there a difference between these or do both just mean talent pool? Thanks
They are the same thing. At the stage you’re at you are merely waiting for a slot on a training course then you will be contacted (likely 3 months in advance of provisional start date). At that point you will be booked in for a medical. As far as I understand Northern are due to run a fair few driver courses in 2023.

They are the same thing. At the stage you’re at you are merely waiting for a slot on a training course then you will be contacted (likely 3 months in advance of provisional start date). At that point you will be booked in for a medical. As far as I understand Northern are due to run a fair few driver courses in 2023.
Indeed they are; March and September currently but that is subject to change

New!

There’s also a course in may, which is the course I’m waiting for confirmation of
Has there been any confirmation of this? Currently in the pool myself!

Did you get a start date within 9 months?

cebz9

I have just started my course this week. There are supposed to be courses every month. Although I am lead to believe that it is staggered based off of the location.

My current trainer is filling in for the person who is supposed to be training us, just for a couple of days. However he said that he has a course next month so there is definitely one scheduled for next month.

A new Driver Academy course started on Monday at Leeds.

Other courses are to follow, apparently.

Last edited:

New!

I’m assuming they will start another course in 16 weeks time, if not sooner.

No I’m a qualified based at Leeds
That’s great thank you for the info, I’ve just passed my psychometric assessment but wasn’t given a start date so fingers crossed!

That’s great thank you for the info, I’ve just passed my psychometric assessment but wasn’t given a start date so fingers crossed!
Congratulations! Hope you hear something soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.