• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Duo tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSP 2

Just looking at the Northern Duo tickets offer and noticed that the Furness line and the Cumbrian Coast line is not included, nor is the S & C. But the starting points are showing. Can anyone explain this?
The link below should show where you can get the tickets at.

Duo | Northern - Northern (northernrailway.co.uk)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
Just looking at the Northern Duo tickets offer and noticed that the Furness line and the Cumbrian Coast line is not included, nor is the S & C. But the starting points are showing. Can anyone explain this?

Well, I couldn't see Barrow, Whitehaven or Workington on that list, so perhaps that suggests there are no Duo tickets on the Cumbrian Coast?

On the other hand, it was news to me that there are Northern Duo tickets from Basildon.

Probably best not to treat the page as definitive.

JRT

The starting point is also the starting point of a different line eg Carlisle–Newcastle line

HSP 2

The starting point is also the starting point of a different line eg Carlisle–Newcastle line
And the S & C, Lancaster is also on the main line to Windermere along with the starting point to Skipton / Leeds, Heysham.

Both of the starting points do sell duo tickets but not to a large portion of Cumbria. OK Lancaster is not in Cumbria.

One of the main points is that I can remember buying them before at Barrow.

Veteran Member
And the S & C, Lancaster is also on the main line to Windermere along with the starting point to Skipton / Leeds, Heysham.
None of which have Duos
Both of the starting points do sell duo tickets but not to a large portion of Cumbria. OK Lancaster is not in Cumbria.

One of the main points is that I can remember buying them before at Barrow.
I also thought they existed N of Barrow

I wonder if this is to do with the previous mixed service with TPE? - in general Duos were Northern-exclusive routes, and no change of train. (Exception to prove rule: Lancaster-Preston-Manchester has been added, presumably to compete with TPE/Avanti.

JRT

I think duo tickets were started in First North Western days so maybe did include many more routes in Lancashire such as the Furness line, and not as many in the West Riding.

scrapy

Established Member
Duo tickets used to be available Barrow to Lancaster, but this stopped about six years ago. Presumably revenue managers will look on a route by route basis whether they encourage more journeys or mean passengers who travel anyway pay less. They will also look whether advance tickets are a better way to fill empty seats on that route. On that route off peak trains are usually busier than those with peak fares, Duos may not be a good way to manage supply and demand.

mikeg

Established Member
Indeed my brother lives vaguely in that area of the country, well Northern Lancashire, the duos were done away with a few years ago, however the positive was that some CDRs were introduced where none had existed previously at a price lower than the existing SDRs iirc.

JBuchananGB

Interesting anecdote about Northern DUOs. A year or so ago when Northern were offering tickets for £0.10, with limited route availability, I bought such tickets for my wife and I to visit Lancaster from Southport. I could only get the £0.10 tickets from Wigan, so I bought DUO for Southport to Wigan. The tickets were sent by post. The DUO was issued as two coupons, Out and Return, both valid for TWO passengers. Showed this to the Northern conductor, she was baffled, had never seen it before. Also on the return, had to show it at the gateline at Wigan Wallgate, where the same comment was made.

cool110

Interesting anecdote about Northern DUOs. A year or so ago when Northern were offering tickets for £0.10, with limited route availability, I bought such tickets for my wife and I to visit Lancaster from Southport. I could only get the £0.10 tickets from Wigan, so I bought DUO for Southport to Wigan. The tickets were sent by post. The DUO was issued as two coupons, Out and Return, both valid for TWO passengers. Showed this to the Northern conductor, she was baffled, had never seen it before. Also on the return, had to show it at the gateline at Wigan Wallgate, where the same comment was made.
I've had them from a ticket office like that back when Oxford Road was the only Manchester station with a gateline.

scrapy

Established Member
Duo tickets are returning next week on the following routes.

Lancaster to Barrow
Whitehaven to Carlisle
Windermere to Oxenholme

They will also be available to/from stations between Whitehaven and Carlisle inclusive to/from stations south of Whitehaven as far as Barrow from September (date to be confirmed)

Valid from 09.00 Mon to Fri no evening restrictions, anytime weekends and bank holidays.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
On the other hand, it was news to me that there are Northern Duo tickets from Basildon.
I would be very surprised indeed if there were Northern Duo tickets available from Basildon, given the nearest Northern train would usually be found at Nottingham. And yet the site has them mentioned :lol:

JRT

Methinks they mean Baildon!
Ah yes there was a problem a few years ago with mail (letters) going to the wrong place. There was a suggestion of changing the (Yorkshire) town back to the old-fashioned spelling of Bayldon.

Status
Not open for further replies.