• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern flexi season - most cost effective way to buy

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
I'm shortly going to be going into the office three days a week, so a flexi season ticket seems to be the cheapest way to pay for my travel. Are there any ways of getting cashback/nectar points/whatever on the purchase price? I'm taking using a cashback credit card to buy it with as read.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

setdown

Depending on your route (and flexibility of days), it may end up cheaper to buy a weekly season on a Wednesday to cover Wed/Thurs/Fri/Mon/Tue, and then buy a single day ticket for the third day in the second week. Certainly much cheaper than buying flexi-seasons where I travel.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Depending on your route (and flexibility of days), it may end up cheaper to buy a weekly season on a Wednesday to cover Wed/Thurs/Fri/Mon/Tue, and then buy a single day ticket for the third day in the second week. Certainly much cheaper than buying flexi-seasons where I travel.
Many thanks!

Always worth considering but as it happens not for me: I have compelling reasons to work from home on Tuesdays and Fridays so the three days in the office pretty well dictate themselves to Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.

jamiearmley

The Airtime Rewards app currently gives 8% cashback on purchases through the LNER app. Coupled with the LNER perks scheme and their joining incentive, this may make it attractive.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
The Airtime Rewards app currently gives 8% cashback on purchases through the LNER app. Coupled with the LNER perks scheme and their joining incentive, this may make it attractive.
Thanks. Is this available on flexi season tickets? The 'Offer Terms & Conditions' that I see on the Airtime Rewards App say 'Not available on transactions made on all season tickets' which is slightly odd wording (what's 'all' doing in there?) but I think doesn't help me.

(Edited to attach screenshot to show what I see: maybe other people have different Ts&Cs)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240223-110037.jpg
    Screenshot_20240223-110037.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 8

mdann52

Amex are currently offering an additional 5% on purchases via Trainline, and 10% via LNER, on some of their products

jamiearmley

Thanks. Is this available on flexi season tickets? The 'Offer Terms & Conditions' that I see on the Airtime Rewards App say 'Not available on transactions made on all season tickets' which is slightly odd wording (what's 'all' doing in there?) but I think doesn't help me.

(Edited to attach screenshot to show what I see: maybe other people have different Ts&Cs)
Really not sure on that one too be fair .

xotGD

Established Member
Can you get Advances for your commute? Could be cheaper than a Flexi Season.

That's what I do.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Whether or not a Flexi Season is the cheapest option very much depends on the journey you're making, the times of day you'll be travelling and whether or not you are eligible for a Railcard.

On the latter point, I take it that you are aged 30-59 and not eligible for the Veterans, Disabled etc. Railcard? You would of course still be eligible for region-based Railcards such as the Network Railcard or (indirectly) the Gold Card, which may make your commute cheaper. It's also possible that there might be Advance tickets you could use if you're prepared to tie yourself to specific services.

If none of these avenues assist and a Flexi Season really is the cheapest option, I believe it is currently advantageous to buy season tickets from LNER. Several card issuers have offers of 5% cashback for LNER purchases, which seemingly include season tickets (even though this must mean they are making a significant loss on each one sold - as the commission is well under 5% for seasons). Some of these offers only include in-person purchases so you might need to make your way to an LNER Travel Centre, though I presume that wouldn't be too much of a hassle as there's one at Kings Cross if nothing else.

In terms of the card you use, you'll almost certainly be wanting to use an Amex card of whatever type is most suitable for your particular circumstances. There are lots of signup offers available if you can spend a certain amount within X months, often increased if you obtain a referral from an existing customer.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Thanks to @xotGD and @Watershed for the further suggestions.

I should perhaps have said in the first place that I am not convinced that there is a helpful option out there - but it's always worth asking on the off chance that there's some wisdom I've missed in the last few years of following the forum.

And I have already implemented many of the opportunities; I already use AMEX (got the bonus a few years back when I was in every day so had a season) and the ticket I buy is for a longer (but cheaper) journey than the one that I make.

I guess that I'll just have to let a couple of years roll by until I am eligible for a senior Railcard.