• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Guard on 2A96 today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steddenm

Was travelling on 2A96, 1026 Liverpool Lime Street to Crewe via Manchester today and there was a prolonged stop at Broad Green.

It transpired that a passenger had suffered a cardiac arrest on board the train, however the guard had paramedics meet the train at Broad Green (handy as there is the Liverpool Heart & Chest Hospital next door).

The guard and a passenger performed CPR on the patient whilst the train was moving.

Patient was taken to hospital.

So a great big thanks to you, the guard, on this service. You potentially saved somebody's life today.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
Good work - I'm sure they'll be on it anyway but make sure you send your thoughts to Northern directly :smile:

NorthernTech

Was travelling on 2A96, 1026 Liverpool Lime Street to Crewe via Manchester today and there was a prolonged stop at Broad Green.

It transpired that a passenger had suffered a cardiac arrest on board the train, however the guard had paramedics meet the train at Broad Green (handy as there is the Liverpool Heart & Chest Hospital next door).

The guard and a passenger performed CPR on the patient whilst the train was moving.

Patient was taken to hospital.

So a great big thanks to you, the guard, on this service. You potentially saved somebody's life today.

Are guards and some other railway staff trained in cpr? I have had various forms of the ‘First Aid at Work’ qualification over the years which obviously included cpr but not in my current role (outside the railway)

skyhigh

Established Member
Are guards and some other railway staff trained in cpr?
No, but some may have previous experience or training from outside of work. 999 call handlers are also very good at talking through CPR, and Northern are also installing a lot of defibrillators at stations which provide clear instructions.
Good work - I'm sure they'll be on it anyway but make sure you send your thoughts to Northern directly :smile:
Seconded.

Status
Not open for further replies.