• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Leeds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class-jnr

Hello all!

Now that the Northern careers website Is back up and running has anyone applied for the newly advertised Leeds Driver role?
I had an application in before the website got shut down and never heard anything back from my email sent to HR.
Keeping everything crossed for this time!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A460009

When did you apply last time? Did you receive an email telling you they were no longer progressing with the role?

Class-jnr

Hi, I applied gosh must have been end of Jan/Feb time. No I didn’t receive that email just said once the website reopened I would have to reapply!
I did send an email to HR but didn’t get anything back from them.
Someone did tell that when it went from Arrive to the gov Arriva told them they had a few days to get the info they want and they would have no access after that.

Taylor-j01

You said it said i would have to reapply? Who said this , an email?

Did you get the email about your data being transferred to northern trains limited late February?

Comfy

I can't find any jobs advertised on northerns career page, have you got a link please

Taylor-j01

I wouldnt recommend that if that is your Intention from the go.

they are wanting to invest in someone who will drive at leeds hopefully until they retire thats the aim.

someone will correct me but I think its 2 years after your pass to move depot for Nr

RBSN

I wouldnt recommend that if that is your Intention from the go.

they are wanting to invest in someone who will drive at leeds hopefully until they retire thats the aim.

someone will correct me but I think its 2 years after your pass to move depot for Nr

They won’t want you to up and transfer but it happens all the time. You can transfer once you pass your Mod7

RBSN

When and what is mod7?

Module 7 is your final week long exam that’s taken with your (or an available) Driver Team Manager.

Passing the Mod7 exam you’re then a qualified driver and in your 1st year as a PQA driver. Basically a newly passed driver.

Cassy j

Module 7 is your final week long exam that’s taken with your (or an available) Driver Team Manager.

Passing the Mod7 exam you’re then a qualified driver and in your 1st year as a PQA driver. Basically a newly passed driver.
Thank you so after that do you get a certificate or licence and then can request to transfer etc ?

RBSN

Thank you so after that do you get a certificate or licence and then can request to transfer etc ?

When you pass your Mod7 exam you receive your PQA license which means you’re a newly qualified driver. You can then apply to transfer.

donny12

Are there any Northern drivers willing to share their experiences of being a Northern driver on here? Maybe the things you like most about working for them and what makes this job such a good opportunity?

Would be great to hear your views!

Cassy j

Are there any Northern drivers willing to share their experiences of being a Northern driver on here? Maybe the things you like most about working for them and what makes this job such a good opportunity?

Good question

darloscott

Well I've applied for this one - I'm quite happy where I am (bus/coach industry) but as I'm currently at home then I might as well apply. See what happens

RBSN

Ive been a qualified driver since July 2017 having started as a trainee in 2016 and honestly it was the hardest thing I have done academically. I say academically, and I use that word specifically, because the drivers course isn’t ‘easy’, and anyone who boasts its easy is lying.

The course is the equivalent to completing a degree within a year and a half - and it takes a large amount of dedication, especially if you’re like me and have a young family. The course IS progressive and you will learn everything you need from the bottom up, but take note; you do need to listen, ask questions, take notes and study in your own time to make the process easier on yourself.

I love my job and I can honestly say that, I worked as a printer in a factory for 13 years so to come onto the railway as a trainee and now qualified driver - it really is a great job and career. Yes, is mentally tiring and can get boring (but which job can’t) but the positives massively out-weigh the negatives.

Once you qualify you’re pretty much left to yourself, it’s on you to make sure you’re there when you should be and it’s on you to make sure you’re doing your job safety and correctly.

Any questions feel free to reply

donny12

Ive been a qualified driver since July 2017 having started as a trainee in 2016 and honestly it was the hardest thing I have done academically. I say academically, and I use that word specifically, because the drivers course isn’t ‘easy’, and anyone who boasts its easy is lying.

The course is the equivalent to completing a degree within a year and a half - and it takes a large amount of dedication, especially if you’re like me and have a young family. The course IS progressive and you will learn everything you need from the bottom up, but take note; you do need to listen, ask questions, take notes and study in your own time to make the process easier on yourself.

I love my job and I can honestly say that, I worked as a printer in a factory for 13 years so to come onto the railway as a trainee and now qualified driver - it really is a great job and career. Yes, is mentally tiring and can get boring (but which job can’t) but the positives massively out-weigh the negatives.

Once you qualify you’re pretty much left to yourself, it’s on you to make sure you’re there when you should be and it’s on you to make sure you’re doing your job safety and correctly.

Any questions feel free to reply

Thanks for the reply RBSN, really appreciate your detailed answer!

Following what has happened with the Northern franchise in recent times, has this affected those drivers working for the company? Is it still a good place to work and what does the future now look like for Northern drivers and potential trainees?

In terms of becoming a trainee with Northern, do you know if there is a long wait currently in the talent pool? What is behind the current recruitment drive, is it people retiring, the company expanding now or are drivers leaving?

RBSN

Thanks for the reply RBSN, really appreciate your detailed answer!

Following what has happened with the Northern franchise in recent times, has this affected those drivers working for the company? Is it still a good place to work and what does the future now look like for Northern drivers and potential trainees?

In terms of becoming a trainee with Northern, do you know if there is a long wait currently in the talent pool? What is behind the current recruitment drive, is it people retiring, the company expanding now or are drivers leaving?

Like most company’s Covid-19 has had an effect and the general working life of Northern has been altered. We are currently running between 30-40% of services and some services are now running hourly only.

Work as a driver has changed, we are now working with diagrams on a weekly basis and new diagrams are being created to coincide with passenger numbers and driver/guard availability.

It’s still a great place to work. People are getting on with it and have pride in what they’re doing, in most cases.

Our trainees (at Leeds) have been stood down for the current time. This is to (try) and minimise the spread of the virus - just having a qualified driver in the driving cab, instead of 2 (a qualified driver and a trainee). Northern will re-instate trainees and carry in training once the virus has cleared.

In regards to talent pool I can’t answer that as I don’t have that information as a driver. Recruitment will be for all those reasons you have mentioned. The UK doesn’t have enough qualified drivers in general so they will always want trainees at certain times.

donny12

Like most company’s Covid-19 has had an effect and the general working life of Northern has been altered. We are currently running between 30-40% of services and some services are now running hourly only.

Work as a driver has changed, we are now working with diagrams on a weekly basis and new diagrams are being created to coincide with passenger numbers and driver/guard availability.

It’s still a great place to work. People are getting on with it and have pride in what they’re doing, in most cases.

Our trainees (at Leeds) have been stood down for the current time. This is to (try) and minimise the spread of the virus - just having a qualified driver in the driving cab, instead of 2 (a qualified driver and a trainee). Northern will re-instate trainees and carry in training once the virus has cleared.

In regards to talent pool I can’t answer that as I don’t have that information as a driver. Recruitment will be for all those reasons you have mentioned. The UK doesn’t have enough qualified drivers in general so they will always want trainees at certain times.
Thanks again RBSN, really appreciate your advice!

Efini92

Established Member
Would it be possible to move to Manchester after qualifying at leeds ?
Yeah plenty have done it before. They have very different methods of teaching on the east to the west. Plus the T&C’s are slightly different.

Cassy j

Yeah plenty have done it before. They have very different methods of teaching on the east to the west. Plus the T&C’s are slightly different.
What is the difference in the terms and conditions and is the salary the same ?

Efini92

Established Member
Salary is now the same £54500. The east side are on an average 4 day week with sundays in the working week. The west side have a fixed 4 day week with sundays outside.
Sick pay is 100 % on the west, on the east the first, I think 3 days are unpaid.
The east have link progression whereas the west don’t ( except lime st ).
Diagramming parameters are also different. West can drive upto 5 hours and 10 minutes ( inclusive off walking time/taxi/pass/attach/detach/dispose ) before needing a break. East is 5 hours driving but upto 6 hours if travelling pass/taxi.
If you include all the ex-tpe conditions it’s even more of a minefield, however moving from Leeds to Manchester you won’t come under them.

RBSN

Just to confirm; you will be able to apply to move from Leeds to X but that doesn’t mean you’re guaranteed to move and/ or it can take time to move, sometimes years.

Status
Not open for further replies.