• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern manual checks of mobile tickets

Lampshade

Established Member
Hi All

I regularly commute in Manchester from the Bolton direction, and while the closest station to my office is Salford Crescent (so I usually alight there in the morning and walk), I buy my ticket through to Manchester as firstly it’s the same price, and secondly it gives me the flexibility to return from a city centre station in the evening. Being an Anytime Day Return (not advances) I’m perfectly entitled to do this - am I not?

Every morning passengers using Northern’s app/e-tickets are funnelled through a single gate at Salford Crescent, having to scan their tickets on a seperate machine, with staff barking at mobile users to use that gate, and a team waiting for anyone who's ticket isn't accepted.

Now is my ticket ever accepted? Of course it isn't. Then invariably the guy I'm directed to doesn't have a clue, last summer I got challenged by them for alighting there with a SEASON TICKET, and the most recent encounter:

"This ticket is to Manchester"
Me: "Yes"
"This is Salford, this is not Manchester"
Me: *resisting the temptation to be massively sarcastic* "Yes, it's a valid ticket"
"Oh - are you going that way?" *gesticulating northbound*
Me: "No - I am breaking my journey here" - and walked out

Dare I ask - what is the need for this? If it's an issue with Northern not trusting passengers to use app/e-tickets then withdraw them, the above is just not okay.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Being an Anytime Day Return (not advances) I’m perfectly entitled to do this - am I not?
Take it we're talking about the £7.90 Bolton -> Manchester CTLZ Anytime Day Return fare? Shouldn't be any problem in breaking / resuming journey at Salford Crescent on this. Apart from badly programmed ticket barriers / poorly briefed revenue protection staff.

Lampshade

Established Member
Take it we're talking about the £7.90 Bolton -> Manchester CTLZ Anytime Day Return fare? Shouldn't be any problem in breaking / resuming journey at Salford Crescent on this. Apart from badly programmed ticket barriers / poorly briefed revenue protection staff.
Buckshaw Parkway, but yes the same ticket type.

setdown

If they're making lives difficult for e-ticket users, I'd just use a paper ticket instead.

jfollows

Established Member
If the staff are Carlisle Security, who are often contracted by Northern to check tickets, it wouldn't surprise me at all - they have "form" for making things up and penalising people travelling with perfectly valid tickets much more than regular Northern staff, although I wouldn't exempt the latter totally either.
My partner never has a problem at Stockport with a Wilmslow-Manchester return ticket, even when the barriers aren't in use.
It's not about lack of trust, it's incompetence and poor training. Nothing unusual there. Sorry it's become a pain for you, but if it's any consolation you're not alone!

Haywain

Veteran Member
Evidently not if it's rejecting perfectly valid tickets (barriers always work fine doing the return journey) :lol:
On the contrary, it doesn't accept or reject tickets, it provides the details of the ticket to the user. It's the human bit that's the problem. Normal barriers won't, for example, highlight railcard discounts being applied.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Poorly trained contractors who has never heard of the concept of a break of journey?

In theory the extra check could be worthwhile in case someone tries to exit with something like a Salford Central - Salford Crescent ticket* as a way to short fare (the sort who will generally head towards the front of the train to avoid getting gripped) when the machine says it hasn't had an entry scan. Or to check railcards etc, but if the staff don't understand a simple concept like breaking a journey on an anytime day return then it's just anti-passenger.

(*Or even something stupid like a Clifton - Salford Crescent ticket)

jfollows

Established Member
if the staff don't understand a simple concept like breaking a journey on an anytime day return then it's just anti-passenger.
Yes, it is.
Along with issuing penalty fares to people with completely valid tickets, for example. They are a menace and although many of us would face them down (politely of course) there will be many passengers whom they intimidate into paying up.

sheff1

Established Member
If they're making lives difficult for e-ticket users, I'd just use a paper ticket instead.
Exactly what I do going to Piccadilly. Far easier to wave a bit of orange card than go through the scanning farce.

northwichcat

Established Member
My partner never has a problem at Stockport with a Wilmslow-Manchester return ticket, even when the barriers aren't in use.

At Stockport the barriers are between platform 0 and platforms 1-4 so I think the policy is accept everything valid via Stockport, whether it's the barriers or a manual check. I was using a Northern complimentary ticket one day and my onward connection was cancelled and the staff didn't have any issue with letting me out, rather than spending an hour at the station.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
At Stockport the barriers are between platform 0 and platforms 1-4 so I think the policy is accept everything valid via Stockport, whether it's the barriers or a manual check. I was using a Northern complimentary ticket one day and my onward connection was cancelled and the staff didn't have any issue with letting me out, rather than spending an hour at the station.
Platform 0 seems to be used only on rare occasions. Most of the time it is out of use due to being unstaffed.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Platform 0 seems to be used only on rare occasions. Most of the time it is out of use due to being unstaffed.
Don't up to 20 Northern services (headed for Buxton) use Platform 0 at Stockport each and every weekday? Also ten East Midlands trains bound for Norwich?

northwichcat

Established Member

jfollows

Established Member
Operationally platform 0 is a total pain - firstly because it needs special staffing, and secondly because it can only be reached by using the up slow line at Slade Lane Junction, which is a pain if there's a stopping train in front. Also it can't be used for Chester trains. To be avoided unless necessary. Off-topic now I know.
To my original point - they're apparently quite au fait with the concept of breaking a journey there, when they perform a manual check, my partner has no problem holding on to his ticket to Manchester and using it later the same day, as he's entitled to. Unlike at Salford Crescent, it would appear. Could be because they're real rail staff at Stockport rather than contractors.

Last edited:

sheff1

Established Member
Don't up to 20 Northern services (headed for Buxton) use Platform 0 at Stockport each and every weekday? Also ten East Midlands trains bound for Norwich?
I have not been on a Sheffield bound train which has used platform 0 for a very long time, it always seems to be closed - in the evenings at least.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just a gentle reminder that this thread is for the discussion of Northern manual checks of mobile tickets. If anyone wants to discuss anything else then they are welcome to start a new thread elsewhere. Thanks.

northwichcat

Established Member
I found at Manchester Victoria last night the ticket barriers wouldn't scan a pdf on my phone and other people were having the same issue. Victoria seems to have a different design of barrier to other stations I've scanned e-tickets at, I'm not sure why.

If there's issues with barriers not liking certain phones - maybe because of the screen brightness, they should probably have more barriers with manual checks.

Could be because they're real rail staff at Stockport rather than contractors.

Stockport revenue staff wear Avanti uniforms. Not that it means anything by itself. However, the level of training provided and checking people are following correct procedures is more relevant than if they are employed directly or indirectly by the train operator. People don't notice if their bus driver is an employee or agency staff. They notice if they forget the correct route, or aren't familiar with the ticket options on offer. It's the same with revenue staff on the railways.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Stockport revenue staff wear Avanti uniforms. Not that it means anything by itself.
If they're Avanti, does that mean that they assume everyone is off an Avanti train and using an Advance, and so is not entitled to break their journey/finish short?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If they're Avanti, does that mean that they assume everyone is off an Avanti train and using an Advance, and so is not entitled to break their journey/finish short?

Given that plenty of Avanti users don't use Advances (the Off Peaks are much more reasonably priced than other routes) that would be a more than slightly odd assumption.

skyhigh

Established Member
I found at Manchester Victoria last night the ticket barriers wouldn't scan a pdf on my phone and other people were having the same issue. Victoria seems to have a different design of barrier to other stations I've scanned e-tickets at, I'm not sure why.
They are a rather elderly design that's had an optical reader bodged on as an aftermarket addition - the barriers are coming up for 10yrs old and are the type that Serco Northern installed at their managed stations (also found at Bradford Interchange and used to be at Leeds for example).

They are considered end-of-life and a business plan is being drawn up to support replacement with a more modern design that better suits scanning.