• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail 'only' journey planner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl

On Moderation
Help please :D

I'm sure I've read about searches that can be done by requesting a journey by a particular TOC, but can't remember how :oops:

I'm trying to plan a day out with Northern Rail's Day Ranger offer that's on at the moment.

How do I search by using Northern's services only please?

(I know I'm going to kick myself when I find the answer, but thanks for any help)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
The National Rail site under Advanced Search.

Preston to Lancaster is the only Northern route where they operate insignificant numbers of trains, though between York and Liverpool via Huddersfield they basically only operate stopping services.

IanD

Established Member
Help please :D

I'm sure I've read about searches that can be done by requesting a journey by a particular TOC, but can't remember how :oops:

I'm trying to plan a day out with Northern Rail's Day Ranger offer that's on at the moment.

How do I search by using Northern's services only please?

(I know I'm going to kick myself when I find the answer, but thanks for any help)

It's one of the northern travelline sites - can't remember which one off the top of my head, sorry.

Karl

On Moderation
Thanks chaps. I ticked the 'Choose Operator' option on the National Rail site but it still returns other operators' services in the results.

I think I'll keep it simple and do the Cumbria Coast to Carlisle and then home via the S&C to Leeds and then Preston, or I might come back the same route as the outward to Carlisle? Just hope the 1004 from Preston makes the connection at Barrow tomorrow after today's late arrival meant the 1138 was not held.

Cheers.

tony_mac

Established Member
The National Rail site under Advanced Search.
That hasn't worked correctly for months, or possibly years, it only makes sure part of the journey is on the operator.

e.g; For Liverpool to Euston on London Midland, it tells you to change to the Virgin service at Runcorn.
Even worse, if you ask for Liverpool to Manchester Victoria on Nothern, it tells you to take the fast TPE service to Victoria, then a Northern service to Salford Central then another one back to Victoria.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
The big gaps are Preston to Barrow and NorthEsst to York.

I did this trip a few weeks back and used realtimetrains to plan as the journeyplanners often overlook Northern stoppers on long routes.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
I noticed this myself as I have been planning itineraries for Northern's £12.50 press offer. The NatRail site does indeed offer operator selection and helpfully gives itineraries that include the chosen operator but do not exclude others. And, in particular as regards the Cumbrian Coast route (and it may well arise elsewhere) Northern's own timetable leaflet gives absolutely NO indication that the majority of services (those shown as connecting) to/from Barrow and south are not theirs.

It makes ensuring one remains within the strict validity of the ticket quite challenging requiring one to delve fairly deeply into the NatRail site for each and every offered itinerary to look at all the component parts' operators. Not simple.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
That hasn't worked correctly for months, or possibly years, it only makes sure part of the journey is on the operator.

e.g; For Liverpool to Euston on London Midland, it tells you to change to the Virgin service at Runcorn.
Even worse, if you ask for Liverpool to Manchester Victoria on Nothern, it tells you to take the fast TPE service to Victoria, then a Northern service to Salford Central then another one back to Victoria.

Sorry, had spotted various other faults but not that one, as it worked for me then only time I used it.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thanks chaps. I ticked the 'Choose Operator' option on the National Rail site but it still returns other operators' services in the results.

I think I'll keep it simple and do the Cumbria Coast to Carlisle and then home via the S&C to Leeds and then Preston, or I might come back the same route as the outward to Carlisle? Just hope the 1004 from Preston makes the connection at Barrow tomorrow after today's late arrival meant the 1138 was not held.

Cheers.

Enjoy. Looks like I should have travelled today :(

Status
Not open for further replies.