• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail Station Adoption Free Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

First class

Established Member
Can I please remind holders of Northern Rail Station Adoption Passes that they are NOT valid on Merseyrail services. For the past few weeks, the same people with them keep coming through the network despite being warned that they are not valid and I have received some very hostile responses back when I ask them to buy a ticket.

Just because Northern staff get free travel on Merseyrail, does not mean that you do. Holding those passes does NOT make you rail staff.

The problem is that the passes are the same shape, layout and format, and at first glance they look identical to the Northern Rail staff pass (Bluey purple). Other than the background colour (Green) there is very little visual difference until you actually take the pass away and read it closely.

With regards to the same two people coming travelling around Liverpool who I have stopped twice this week, if you attempt to use your pass again, I will have no choice other than to withdraw your pass and forward it to our prosecutions department- and if you give me the same abusive attitude from last time, you will be reported additionally to the British Transport Police.

I have great respect that you are "looking after" parts of the railway- but some of these pass holders are deliberately playing on the fact that the passes are so similar and try to give the impression they are Northern Rail employees.

THE pass states 'Non staff - Valid on Northern Rail Ltd services only'. Merseyrail is NOT that company, (despite what one of the people I stopped kept insisting rudely).

Sorry if it comes across as hostile, however, I do not want you getting a Penalty Fare or prosecuted (and losing your station adoption priveleges) for the sake of a £2-3 fare to be valid on Merseyrail.

I hope that the two people specifically I have spoken to at Liverpool Central are readers and appriciate my concerns!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai.

Established Member
This sounds quite tedious if it's the same people coming back.

I hope you get this sorted. As for station adoption why are they being allowed these passes wouldn't it be easier to give them travel vouchers?

First class

Established Member
It is a very generous reward considering they only have to 'check' a station every week.

However, it is nonetheless, a worthwhile scheme which can sometimes see some real dedication from people in the community, and perhaps they deserve free travel with Northern, (probably worth a few thousand pounds too!).

However, from the attitude of the people I stopped recently, I can only assume that the travel pass is their ONLY actual interest in the scheme and they are taking the **** a bit now.

Anyone know what other TOCs offer for these schemes?

ATW offer £75 vouchers and a nice get together each year
Northern offer the free Northern Rail travel after 0930
Merseyrail don't offer anything to individuals, but may contribute to schools etc...(?)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I hope you hand your details to First's prosecution department for travelling on SPT sponsored services in the Glasgow area too! ;)

metrocammel

As far as I'm aware, the blue/purple passes were withdrawn about two years ago? My blue pass expired in December 2008, my current pass is green (meaning it's very different from staff passes), and has a peak-time travel restriction on it (although I have a yellow exemption label as I carried out some on-train surveys earlier in the year).

All the other adopters I know have the green passes, so I'm not sure who/ why anyone has the older passes?

First class

Established Member
As far as I'm aware, the blue/purple passes were withdrawn about two years ago? My blue pass expired in December 2008, my current pass is green (meaning it's very different from staff passes), and has a peak-time travel restriction on it (although I have a yellow exemption label as I carried out some on-train surveys earlier in the year).

All the other adopters I know have the green passes, so I'm not sure who/ why anyone has the older passes?

Northern Rail staff themselves.

The problem is that is the only obvious difference, the station adopters have green, staff have purple. As this is internal to Northern, and shouldn't affect any other TOC, no brief has been sent out so it is easy to mistake them for staff passes.

metrocammel

Northern Rail staff themselves.

The problem is that is the only obvious difference, the station adopters have green, staff have purple. As this is internal to Northern, and shouldn't affect any other TOC, no brief has been sent out so it is easy to mistake them for staff passes.

Sorry, I mis-read the bit about colour in your first post- I thought you said the adopters and staff passes were identical.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Anyone know what other TOCs offer for these schemes?

As I know someone who adopts a NXEA station, they offer (or at least did so recently) a free travel pass for the lines that your station is served by.

- Cal -

I'm a Northern guard, and even i hate the green adoptor passes, when you check them they give you a smug look as if they are railway workers too. Complimentary vouchers would have been better. I even had 1 guy who was fumbling looking for his saying "I work for Northern too, just looking for my pass" then he pulls out a green one

mallard

Established Member
What about City Line services that are Merseyrail branded but Northern operated?

BTW, I've never heard of these passes before, just clearing up a possible ambiguity...

First class

Established Member
No Merseyrail Electrics 2002 Ltd services call on the City Line.

Says Clearly on the pass 'Valid only on Northern Rail Ltd services'.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
I'm a Northern guard, and even i hate the green adoptor passes, when you check them they give you a smug look as if they are railway workers too. Complimentary vouchers would have been better. I even had 1 guy who was fumbling looking for his saying "I work for Northern too, just looking for my pass" then he pulls out a green one

I'm a Guard for another company operating roughly the same area as Northern.
I love those Complimentary Vouchers which Northern Customer Relations send out. Everyone plans these grand trips to the seaside or wherever and then gets on our trains. I point out we are not Northern, the vouchers clearly say "Valid on Northern Trains Services ONLY" on the front and back, point out the only way to get to the place they are planning on getting to is by taking about 4 or 5 different Northern stopping trains via convoluted routes - then sell them an Anytime ticket for lots of money!

And as regards the OP, I hate the Green Adopters passes also. They keep getting on our trains, and you get some right grumpy attitudes and responses when I then charge them a fare!

First class

Established Member
Next time I see one I'm going to withdraw it and send it back to Northern with a list of problems these passes are creating...

scrapy

Established Member
Lets face it. It isn't just Northern only passes/tickets that create problems. Most TOC's produce tickets that passengers expect to use on other operators TOC's. (Virgin Trains only tickets for example)

I would however say there is no excuse for station adopters to 'not be aware' they are not travelling on Northern services, it is not as though they are unfamiliar with the railway. I would therefore suggest that this is potentially fraudulent travel and should be treated as such. Adopters are just as grumpy with Northern guards when they are told they have to pay before 9.30am.

The Snap

Established Member

Slightly off the point, but similar kind of subject. My mate and I both have PTS as we both work for one of the principal infrastructure contractors - the number of guards, particularly from Northern, who see the Network Rail logo on a card in your wallet as you look for your ticket and let you off saying "oh you're staff, don't worry mate" is unbelievable! :lol:

(Don't get me wrong though, I still buy tickets! Some guards just choose not to check them! ;))

Anyone with PTS will know that if you turn the card over, it clearly states "Not a valid travel pass". Perhaps on-train staff should be made aware of that…

First class

Established Member
Slightly off the point, but similar kind of subject. My mate and I both have PTS as we both work for one of the principal infrastructure contractors - the number of guards, particularly from Northern, who see the Network Rail logo on a card in your wallet as you look for your ticket and let you off saying "oh you're staff, don't worry mate" is unbelievable! :lol:

(Don't get me wrong though, I still buy tickets! Some guards just choose not to check them! ;))

Anyone with PTS will know that if you turn the card over, it clearly states "Not a valid travel pass". Perhaps on-train staff should be made aware of that…

We all know it's not valid. There's a lot of discretion amongst fellow railwaymen.

Enough said.

- Cal -

People who show me a network rail pass get free travel, the way i see it is you keep me in a job (working on the lines) and i keep you in a job (running trains) all one big family mate

tony_mac

Established Member
In many jobs, giving away your employers goods or services without permission would see you jobless and/or in front of a magistrate.

I think that it shows a certain level of contempt for the fare-paying passengers.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
2 big problems here beyond your own TOC bubble;

1. The public still expect a national network not a fragmented one. 17 years on from the 93 Act. How many "company's" have you Conductors worked for since then?
  2. Station Adoption has happened to some extent because of the abrogation of responsibility for station environments that Privitisation caused. Is it NR, is it TOC? No ones told us and doing something will cost us so we well do nowt! Lets try and get the traveling public to do it for minor reward! Many passengers feel the station environment has been taken the Michael out of for years and if they get a bit of their own back by "hurting the pocket" of those responsible so be it.

The moral of this thread is that trying to do things on the cheap costs!

I'll hasten to add that I'm an ATW Station Adopter, have vouchers and use them as part or full payment.

I'd pass on your pass complaints to Grand Central now!

Lucky63

I know of two Northern station adopters and both of them use TPE services usually at peak times too! Seriously how do they get away with this?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
I know of two Northern station adopters and both of them use TPE services usually at peak times too! Seriously how do they get away with this?
Pay for it? :roll:

I can't see that they would get away with it day in day out with out paying as if they don't they rely on a lot of things...

Established Member

Most probably be that the guard can't get around to check - then even if they get asked for the ticket at the station it looks valid.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Some guards may allow it. If they do not, then it'd be a SDS/SDR.

Many staff allow other staff free travel simply by showing their pass, and will be happy to extend that to adopters. It's widespread, and pretty much 'expected' that they will allow free travel (Except on East Coast with a Newcastle crew ;)) I recall a topic on Railchat where someone was ranting because someone made them fill in a box on his 'pristine' PRIV pass (Topic here - registration required).

Status
Not open for further replies.