• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern rail strike ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren R

Established Member
But there is nothing to report at the moment. ..... There is nothing news worthy to tell the public at this stage.

When has that ever stopped a journalist!!:p

What publicity there has been only mentions the dispute as being about the use of casual agency workers - I thought there was a lot more to it than that? I got the impression that this is actually several previously seperate issues that had been rumbling on for some time, that the RMT have 'joined together' so to speak.

As an industry outsider and passenger (who may be affected by this dispute - just to declare an interest!) it seems to me that this is frequently the way of it though. Whenever it comes to staff being balloted at whatever TOC, it often seems to be over a dispute that has been rumbling on for some while, with discontent increasing throughout that time. What seems to start off life as a relatively minor issue is left to fester.

As a manager (in a wholly different environment though) that seems to be ultimately a very destructive way of doing things, for all concerned. I would not dream of ignoring a problem that I became aware of. Paying lip-service to discussions about the matter only serves to make the situation worse: people are not stupid - they know when you're being honest with them. Honesty is always the best policy when managers are discussing issues with their staff and colleagues. Ignore it and it won't go away - it just becomes a bigger problem for managers: a bigger headache that takes up more and more of your time. And all the while staff morale is seeping away, and with it the staff themselves. Which, in this particular instance, is exactly what seems to be happening. Northern staff are departing in favour of other TOCs where they can - in itself a situation which presents another major problem for managers and simultaneously adds to the initial problem of casual workers. And added to that there is increasing pressure on those who remain because of being short-staffed, and morale drops still lower.

I may be wrong (and I don't doubt that the managers themselves would vehemently disagree with me), but that is my perception.

I hope this is resolved quickly and with the minimum disruption both to passengers and staff. I have a tremendous respect for Northern staff - both those I come into contact with at stations and on trains, and those I don't at depots. The front-line staff do a fantastic job (usually!) in difficult and trying circumstances. Tweeters might be joking about a possible absence of Northern trains at the moment, but if it comes to a prolonged overtime ban they'll soon stop laughing. Public backing of industrial action is rare, and even when it does exist it soon disappears when they start being directly affected. I can't help think this would only make life more difficult for the disgruntled staff themselves.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....What publicity there has been only mentions the dispute as being about the use of casual agency workers - I thought there was a lot more to it than that? I got the impression that this is actually several previously seperate issues that had been rumbling on for some time, that the RMT have 'joined together' so to speak....

There were seven issues, six of them, in theory atleast, have been 'resolved'*, the seventh is not.

(*If history is teaching us anything it is that Northern management can't really be trusted to keep to agreements, but that is another matter)

....Which, in this particular instance, is exactly what seems to be happening. Northern staff are departing in favour of other TOCs where they can - in itself a situation which presents another major problem for managers and simultaneously adds to the initial problem of casual workers. And added to that there is increasing pressure on those who remain because of being short-staffed, and morale drops still lower....

Well, you are talking about a company who, in 2011, made £40m profits, but decided not to give staff a Christmas bonus (an approximate grand total of about £122k) because 'times are tough' and 'we can't really afford it'....

....I hope this is resolved quickly and with the minimum disruption both to passengers and staff....

I would love to see it ended quickly, but that is in the hands of people who don't want to resolve it because it will cost too much. I think in the last two strikes that nearly happened, Northern finally agreed a deal within 24 hours of the strike actually starting, and in those cases they weren't sending out leaflets and 'staff brief's to all staff telling them they can't do anything.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
No real information to add here with regards to the strike action, however, Northern have sent out another 'staff brief' in which they claim that "In total, taking into account those who did not vote, two thirds of RMT members in Northern Rail DO NOT want to go on strike". Given that only about two thirds of members voted and more than half of those chose strike action, one wonders how Northern Rail have come up with this figure?

Darren R

Established Member
No real information to add here with regards to the strike action, however, Northern have sent out another 'staff brief' in which they claim that "In total, taking into account those who did not vote, two thirds of RMT members in Northern Rail DO NOT want to go on strike". Given that only about two thirds of members voted and more than half of those chose strike action, one wonders how Northern Rail have come up with this figure?

Because half of two thirds is a third, and one minus a third is two thirds?;)

Strikes me (no pun intended) that Northern management ought to be spending more time on trying to sort this out and less time coming up with slightly questionable figures that serve no particular purpose other than rubbing people up the wrong way.

455driver

Veteran Member
You want facts from management! :roll:

Honestly, dont you know the modern world revolves around "spin"! ;)

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Because half of two thirds is a third, and one minus a third is two thirds?;)....

Yes, however, one third did not vote, thus not giving an indication either way.

A forum member knocked the RMT for saying "nearly 58%" when the percentage of votes was 57.19% (or something like that) in this thread. Imagine the uproar if the RMT said that two thirds were not opposed to strike action or that only a third didn't want to go on strike....:roll:

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Yes, however, one third did not vote, thus not giving an indication either way.

If they aren't sure then they don't want to go on strike at the moment.

However, not voting may or may not mean 'not sure.' A non-vote could mean they were busy and didn't bother or they were on holiday or ill at the time the votes were cast.

if the RMT said that two thirds were not opposed to strike action or that only a third didn't want to go on strike

What you could say though is the people who don't feel strongly are the most likely to not vote, so if the RMT made the reverse of the Northern claim then it would likely be even less accurate.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
If they aren't sure then they don't want to go on strike at the moment....

That is an assumption with no basis.

....However, not voting may or may not mean 'not sure.' A non-vote could mean they were busy and didn't bother or they were on holiday or ill at the time the votes were cast....

And so neither side can claim that vote.

....What you could say though is the people who don't feel strongly are the most likely to not vote, so if the RMT made the reverse of the Northern claim then it would likely be even less accurate.

Not really, there is no evidence either way.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Not really, there is no evidence either way.

I said 'likely' and I do think it's more likely for someone who feels strongly about something to make sure they action (such as voting to strike) than for someone who doesn't feel strongly either way to take action to show that they don't feel strongly about the issue.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I said 'likely' and I do think it's more likely for someone who feels strongly about something to make sure they action (such as voting to strike) than for someone who doesn't feel strongly either way to take action to show that they don't feel strongly about the issue.

If I didn't want to strike I'd be making sure I voted to make sure people knew that given the potential loss of income involved.

Darren R

Established Member
If I didn't want to strike I'd be making sure I voted to make sure people knew that given the potential loss of income involved.

Agreed, but every person who chose not to vote will have their own reasons why they didn't. It's a tad spurious for Northern to be assuming that they are all against strike action and to be counting the 'no-shows' as unofficial votes against.

Does anyone know if negotiations are continuing?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....Does anyone know if negotiations are continuing?

According to the brief, they have already had a meeting where Northern has stated that the Trainpeople contract will conclude in July and that they will not increase the numbers further. Apparently there is another meeting scheduled for Monday.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
According to the brief, they have already had a meeting where Northern has stated that the Trainpeople contract will conclude in July and that they will not increase the numbers further. Apparently there is another meeting scheduled for Monday.

Let us hopefully see that after the next meeting on this coming Monday, this will leave a more clearer view on how matters will then stand with regard to the matter in hand.

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Just to let everyone know the strike has been settled

Our Ref: BR2/14/2

6th June 2013

TO ALL RMT NORTHERN RAIL MEMBERS

Dear Colleague

DISPUTE SETTLED!

BREAKDOWN IN INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS – NORTHERN RAIL

Since the ballot for strike action closed your negotiating team has been involved in extensive talks to try to resolve our dispute with Northern Rail. I am pleased to announce that we have now reached agreement with the company and we are therefore no longer in dispute. This Breakdown in Industrial Relations dispute originally centred on six issues, four of which were already resolved but Casualisation and the Use of Agency Staff remained outstanding until now. Agreement has now been achieved on all these matters and below you will find details on each issue for your information.

FAILURE TO AGREE ON TERMS AND CONDITIONS

PTR&R Regarding Promotion

The company states that should an internal candidate achieve the recruitment criteria, as long as there is a vacancy, they will be appointed ahead of an external candidate to a role. Should there be more than one successful internal candidate, then the best scoring internal applicant shall be appointed, subject to any satisfactory assessments and medicals that are required for the role. Further, should two internal candidates score the same, then the senior candidate will be appointed. Further, a commitment was given that a feedback mechanism will be put in place to ensure all unsuccessful candidates have the option of receiving developmental guidance on why they did not reach the required standard for appointment to the role applied for.

Travel Tickets for Non-Safeguarded First Aiders

The company has recognised that the only arrangements that are in place in terms of travel facilities are those that are set out by Rail Staff Travel Ltd (RSTL) for safeguarded employees. As it stands there are no travel arrangements in place for non-safeguarded employees. However, as a goodwill gesture, the company has agreed that non-safeguarded employees who are a nominated and qualified First Aider at work will now be entitled to one return ticket on National Rail for their self, spouses/partners and dependent children each year to a maximum combined value of £150. This is in addition to current special leave arrangements.

INTRODUCTION OF SWIPE CARDS AT STATIONS WITHOUT CONSULTATION

We raised concerns regarding the implementation of a swipe card system for signing on and off duty at Skipton which was introduced without any consultation. We advised management that this interfered with employee’s train times when leaving work and it was agreed to review the roster with local representatives within the Neville Hill district with a view to changing start and finish times so as to allow employees to catch the train home from work.

ROSTER ISSUES WITHIN THE ENGINEERING AND FLEET GRADES

A local review of Train Presentation rosters will take place in line with the relevant rostering agreements in order to establish if these could work over a 37 hour working week roster cycle, rather than the current arrangements. This is likely to create a fixed day when a shift would be worked to make up any contractual hours that are not currently rostered. This item is to be discussed locally and if all employees within the roster wish the arrangement to remain flexible the company have committed that this will be sanctioned.

DISCIPLINARY PROCEDURES WHEN DEALING WITH DRUNKEN AND DISGRUNTLED PASSENGERS

Unfortunately from time to time complaints are raised by customers about members of staff. The company has assured us that they “will always take a balanced view of the evidence on each particular circumstance before any conclusions are reached and can confirm that any resulting investigations would be impartial and not simply take the customer’s view over that of our employees.”

CASUALISATION AND BREACH OF OUR AGREEMENTS & USE OF CONTRACT WITH TRAIN PEOPLE & G4S

Northern will provide a written commitment to the union that they will not expand the use of agency staff during this franchise. Additionally, the Trainpeople trial will end in July 2013 following which they will take a view on whether to employ any staff as a result of the trial. However they have no plans to do so at present.

A twice-yearly review meeting will be held (not a working group) for two representatives from each of the Conductor and Station and Retail councils to meet with management to understand in detail how the G4S contract is performing. The company will speak to us to agree the terms of reference for this meeting.

With full involvement from the RMT, an informal and pragmatic understanding has been reached that Northern might have to engage agency workers on a short term basis for special events etc.

OTHER ISSUES REGARDING SOCIAL MEDIA SITES

The company has agreed to review the current social media policy contained within the “Acceptable User Policy". This will be reviewed at a Joint Committee and once this process is complete, all employees will be briefed on the outcome by the company.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your support for your union in this dispute. It is thanks to your solidarity and the hard work and determination of your reps that this dispute has ended in such a clear victory. Every single issue that brought about the dispute in the first place has now been resolved and this is a testament to the effectiveness of a strong organised workforce that is prepared to stand up to management.

Once again I thank you for your support and appreciate your taking the time to read this letter.

UNITY IS STRENGTH

Yours Sincerely

Bob Crow

General Secretary

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....Northern will provide a written commitment to the union that they will not expand the use of agency staff during this franchise. Additionally, the Trainpeople trial will end in July 2013 following which they will take a view on whether to employ any staff as a result of the trial. However they have no plans to do so at present....

So they have basically agreed to nothing then. Awesome! Power to the people!:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.